Document Expiration Date - Is it possible?

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
DennisD
Answers: 1

Document Expiration Date - Is it possible?

Unread post by DennisD »

We are looking to implement a PDM system and SWX PDM Pro seems like a good choice for us. However, we are open to suggestions for a better system. Our needs are for general document control as we do not have or plan to get SolidWorks CAD as part of this. Cloud-based solutions are out since we must have ITAR compliance.

One of the needs we have identified is to have a controlled expiration of a document. For instance, we obtain a file from a vendor, but we are required to destroy all copies of it after 30 days or on a specific date. Is there a way to do this with SWX PDM Pro or even to notify someone that has checked out the document of its expiration date?

Thanks in advance!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Document Expiration Date - Is it possible?

Unread post by bnemec »

DennisD wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am We are looking to implement a PDM system and SWX PDM Pro seems like a good choice for us. However, we are open to suggestions for a better system. Our needs are for general document control as we do not have or plan to get SolidWorks CAD as part of this. Cloud-based solutions are out since we must have ITAR compliance.

One of the needs we have identified is to have a controlled expiration of a document. For instance, we obtain a file from a vendor, but we are required to destroy all copies of it after 30 days or on a specific date. Is there a way to do this with SWX PDM Pro or even to notify someone that has checked out the document of its expiration date?

Thanks in advance!
What kind of files are you managing? Some other CAD format?
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

You might need to set it up so other only have link to the file and not a copy.
You can't really control the document when other made copies.

Headache from defense jobs.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

bnemec wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:59 am What kind of files are you managing? Some other CAD format?
Most files will be static (pdf) and we need to prevent file proliferation as well as make them easier to find. And as Frederick indicated they are defense related and some have the time restriction. Other files will be typical MS Office files that we need to manage versions and prevent out-of-sync work. We will have some CAD files. ACAD will be no different from other files since they are stand-alone, but we will also have some Solid Edge, NX, and occasionally some SWX files that have their interrelationships.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

We didn't have PDM.
So I ordered a hardware encrypted SSD drive so I can work from it and never leave any files on the computer.
The paper binder was seating on the table at middle of the room.

Thanks God I don't have my PEng license.

Try keep them all in same Folder. So you don't need to look for them and forget where they were.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I only now of Teamcenter as an end user, but I know it is extremely powerful as well as customizable. I would be shocked if it couldn't be setup to do what you are asking, although it may require writing custom code.

The downside to Teamcenter is that it isn't cheap. Both the up front initialization cost and the per user cost are significant.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

The network could manage this with folder specific permissions and what not. Cloud would also be an alternative but I doubt it since defense requires high levels of security in general.
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

I would say it's possible with PDM, but not out of the box. You could implement a custom task add-in and schedule it to run daily to do any file cleanup or destruction I suppose but you would have to code that all from scratch and test it to meet all your use cases.

As for other options, I'm really not sure.
JSculley
Answers: 54

Unread post by JSculley »

DennisD wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am One of the needs we have identified is to have a controlled expiration of a document. For instance, we obtain a file from a vendor, but we are required to destroy all copies of it after 30 days or on a specific date. Is there a way to do this with SWX PDM Pro or even to notify someone that has checked out the document of its expiration date?
The closest you will get to this with PDM out of the box is Delayed In-State Notifications. When a file is first checked in it will enter some initial state of some workflow based on certain criteria that you specify. You could have different initial states or workflows for various expiration times (30, 60, 90 days etc) and when the file is checked in the expiration timer would start. When time runs out, a user or group can be notified. Of course if the workflow allows a user to move the file to some other state, this would not work.

There are also Deadlines for folders which allow you to specify a deadline date.

You could also create a customized Search which could be run to locate all such files and allow you to then delete them. This may require a little knowledge of SQL.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

JSculley wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:23 pm The closest you will get to this with PDM out of the box is Delayed In-State Notifications. When a file is first checked in it will enter some initial state of some workflow based on certain criteria that you specify. You could have different initial states or workflows for various expiration times (30, 60, 90 days etc) and when the file is checked in the expiration timer would start. When time runs out, a user or group can be notified. Of course if the workflow allows a user to move the file to some other state, this would not work.

There are also Deadlines for folders which allow you to specify a deadline date.

You could also create a customized Search which could be run to locate all such files and allow you to then delete them. This may require a little knowledge of SQL.
These are great ideas! I'll bring this up with our VAR. Thank you very much!
- - -Randy Pausch
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

probably I would look at the web viewer for PDM to avoid local cache of files.

if you use to normal pdm client it will cache locally a copy of the pdf to open it, so instead of data saved in one place you end up with data on both the server AND each client.
the pdm client cache is not encrypted and once cached a file could be extracted from the vault using command line even without a user logging into the pdm server.

A normal, CAD-like, implementation of pdm is not secure and imho not what you are required with that level of confidentiality.