SW2020 Measure Angle

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Rob
Answers: 2

SW2020 Measure Angle

Unread post by Rob »

I've just started using 2020 SP5 and am infuriated with all manner of regressions from previous versions (updowngraded from 2018)

I'm not sure if this is something I've never encountered before or a bug?

When measuring angles...

This is what I'd expect (and always remember)
97 deg
image.png
and this is what I get on the other side
83 deg
image.png
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Re: SW2020 Measure Angle

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Yeah, I hate how it doesn't let you choose a quadrant to measure from. It just arbitrarily picks one.

Technically, the measurement isn't wrong if you are measuring it in the top right quadrant.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Rob wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:35 am I've just started using 2020 SP5 and am infuriated with all manner of regressions from previous versions (updowngraded from 2018)

When measuring angles...

97 deg
image.png

83 deg
image.png
I'm curious, Rob. Does it matter which line you pick first, i.e., if you reverse the order of selection does it give the complementary angle?
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Ömür Tokman

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

I don't know if it's about part, but I drew a simple piece and everything looks normal.
2021-04-12_16-28-32.png
2021-04-12_16-28-52.png
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
Rob

Unread post by Rob »

Ömür Tokman wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:32 am I don't know if it's about part, but I drew a simple piece and everything looks normal.
2021-04-12_16-28-32.png
2021-04-12_16-28-52.png
Yeah, that's what I've always seen myself. I don't recall it ever being wrong before.
I was just annoyed because I was copy/pasting all the angles in and not even bothering to check them - and I couldn't understand why I was getting one of them wrong. 3 out of 4 were fine.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Rob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:38 am
Ömür Tokman wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:32 am I don't know if it's about part, but I drew a simple piece and everything looks normal.
2021-04-12_16-28-32.png
2021-04-12_16-28-52.png
Yeah, that's what I've always seen myself. I don't recall it ever being wrong before.
I was just annoyed because I was copy/pasting all the angles in and not even bothering to check them - and I couldn't understand why I was getting one of them wrong. 3 out of 4 were fine.
Where's Fredrick with that "Consistently Inconsistent" thread?

Angles are something that I think most Systems "Struggle" with. Angle dimensions have been the worst one for not working and exploding since I can remember. SW however is exceptionally poor dealing with angles. Angle mates are nightmare'ish and completely unpredictable. It does not surprise me in the least to see that measuring the angle is inconsistent as well.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Rob wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:35 am I've just started using 2020 SP5 and am infuriated with all manner of regressions from previous versions (updowngraded from 2018)

When measuring angles...

97 deg
image.png

83 deg
image.png
Completely hi-jacking the thread, how is 2020 SP5 otherwise? What other problems did you have going from 2018 to 2020 SP5? That's exactly what I think we will do here unless we wait until 2021 SP5....sooner or later however we will have to upgrade.
Rob

Unread post by Rob »

MJuric wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:54 am
Completely hi-jacking the thread, how is 2020 SP5 otherwise? What other problems did you have going from 2018 to 2020 SP5? That's exactly what I think we will do here unless we wait until 2021 SP5....sooner or later however we will have to upgrade.
Yeah it would be good to have a thread for each release hey?

The one thing that is driving me absolutely nuts is losing my part appearances when I add more than one config.

Adding a single configuration is ok, but if you add another one, BAM all appearances gone!

..and not just in the new config (no display states here) just all of them gone.

I've also noticed that Dynamic Reference Visualization (Parent Child Relationship Arrows in Tree Thing) seems to be a bit broken.

I'm also getting some strange behaviour with bodies being hidden when they are not and hide/show not working, but this was also an occasional problem in 2018. I think it is when you hide show body in an assembly it kind of sticks at the part level.

I normally use the feature tree flyout for hiding showing bodies, but sometimes you have to use the eyeball or even the right click menu in the flyout menu. I don't know what it is but there's definitely some combination that causes a problem.

Definitely something kookie going on with appearances - sometimes you can't delete them (they keep coming back) and assembly overrides not working - but that could be a large assembly thing - I'm not sure

I've not done any drawings yet so can't comment there.

I thought 2018 was a good release - it didn't really crash unless I was doing something stupid. well it occasionally did but I could often go weeks between crashes - so far 2020 is about the same.

I haven't really tried any of the new features, but I notice the Insert Part Property Page has improved - it lists open documents and allows you to choose a configuration, as well as a few extra import options.

I just took the trouble to read the what's new document - there's a few things I'd like to try like the envelope publisher and flexible components but nothing seems to be a game changer for my work. well actually yes you can open an assembly that contains two configurations of a sub assembly without having a dirty mark! see crime #2 https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1899#p1899
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Rob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:02 pm

The one thing that is driving me absolutely nuts is losing my part appearances when I add more than one config.

Adding a single configuration is ok, but if you add another one, BAM all appearances gone!

..and not just in the new config (no display states here) just all of them gone.

I've also noticed that Dynamic Reference Visualization (Parent Child Relationship Arrows in Tree Thing) seems to be a bit broken.
Are your display states linked?
2021-04-12 13_27_05-Window.jpg
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Rob

Unread post by Rob »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:27 pm
I generally don't use display states - just roll with <Default>_Display State 1 for All Configs.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Rob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:02 pm

I'm also getting some strange behaviour with bodies being hidden when they are not and hide/show not working, but this was also an occasional problem in 2018. I think it is when you hide show body in an assembly it kind of sticks at the part level.

I normally use the feature tree flyout for hiding showing bodies, but sometimes you have to use the eyeball or even the right click menu in the flyout menu. I don't know what it is but there's definitely some combination that causes a problem.

Definitely something kookie going on with appearances - sometimes you can't delete them (they keep coming back) and assembly overrides not working - but that could be a large assembly thing - I'm not sure

I've not done any drawings yet so can't comment there.

I thought 2018 was a good release - it didn't really crash unless I was doing something stupid. well it occasionally did but I could often go weeks between crashes - so far 2020 is about the same.

I haven't really tried any of the new features, but I notice the Insert Part Property Page has improved - it lists open documents and allows you to choose a configuration, as well as a few extra import options.

I just took the trouble to read the what's new document - there's a few things I'd like to try like the envelope publisher and flexible components but nothing seems to be a game changer for my work. well actually yes you can open an assembly that contains two configurations of a sub assembly without having a dirty mark! see crime #2 https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1899#p1899
2021 is buggy with appearances too. The worst offenders are:

- editing an appearance for a specific display state will sometimes change them all.
- assembly-level overrides will sometimes disappear after switching configurations and back again (with only one assembly display state)

grumph
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Rob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:34 pm
Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:27 pm
I generally don't use display states - just roll with <Default>_Display State 1 for All Configs.
They should not be linked unless you want different appearances for every configuration. Every display state has it's own appearances so if the display state is linked to the config the appearances won't carry over to the other configs.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

display-state has to be linked by default in the DOT,
to return to the same bahevior before they add that feature.
(important when using in DRW show others configs on the same view for ASM)

thus, it's possible to add more than one display-state to a config, even if linked.

but in general, if you overuses the display-state, too complicated for SW to handle, it will get buggy.
(PRT, sub-ASM, ASM, etc...)

everybody gets accustomed to "new unfinish feature" implemanted by BugidWorks...