Printer settings within drawing templates

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Petertha
Answers: 0

Printer settings within drawing templates

Unread post by Petertha »

Does anyone know if the printer setup is somehow stored within a drawing template? I have rebuilt my SW21 templates to SW24 version from scratch, all working good for the most part. I have separate portrait & landscape versions with appropriate corresponding title boxes & layout, both on 8.5x11 to same printer. but it seems like whenever I make a drawing from the portrait template, it defaults to landscape mode on the printer, confirmed by Print Preview. I can correct it right there adjusting printer settings for that particular drawing, but I'm not sure that its permanently sticking. I thought it might be using the last setting, but that doesn't seem entirely consistent either. I seem to recall somewhere in the template there was a 'use printer settings' checkbox, but maybe that's unrelated.
josh
Answers: 15

Re: Printer settings within drawing templates

Unread post by josh »

Print settings are indeed saved with the file. A template is nothing but a blank file. Open your template, go to the Page Setup dialog, set it the way you want, and save the template.
image.png
Petertha
Answers: 0

Unread post by Petertha »

Thanks! I suspect when I copied one template to make a new one, I probably left this setting intact until I realized what was going on.

- so what would checking the Use system settings do? Revert to some Windows printer default setup, whatever that was?
- by leaving the Set each drawing sheet individually UNchecked, does that mean every new sheet will use the same setup as how I have defined it in default Sheet1?
josh
Answers: 15

Unread post by josh »

-Use the settings that Windows saved last time you printed anything from any program.
-Again, there is nothing special about a template. A template is a blank drawing with no views in it that you save as a special file extension. The template does not contain any more or any less settings than the drawing you saved as a template. Checking this box will allow you to have different print settings for each sheet of a multi-sheet drawing. You can create a template that contains as many sheets as you want. Leaving this box un-checked would mean that you can't have an A-size and a D-size sheet in the same drawing and have them print at different sizes automatically.