what I hear from graphic designers about Adobe.

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Damo
Answers: 0

what I hear from graphic designers about Adobe.

Unread post by Damo »

And so, there are a few artistic pages on FB I follow. Not because I'm an artist, but because I love art.
I'm not happy with what I'm seeing in regards to ai influence in art and the possibility of plagiarism and unfair use that involves.
If you know, Adobe has a lot of ai offerings in new tool features within their myriad of software suites.
It appears this ai has been trained (at least in part) by scouring through the online storage clouds of Adobe customers to glean understanding of styles and composition. Likely via the correlation of tags and metadata.
FB_IMG_1717909983124.jpg
And it appears this is stated within their EULA that they can access and use your data for whatever suits their purposes.
Of course they do state they do not claim ownership, but they certainly will not ask you if they can use itto augment other customer's content, for the assistance of ai generated art, or even self promotion I suppose, etc.
I've stated my opinion that, as a user of 3D CAD that is ever moving toward SAAS Cloud access, that the thought of these software company's, who're trusted to store our data, doing this HORRIFIES me.!
Tera
Answers: 2

Re: what I hear from graphic designers about Adobe.

Unread post by Tera »

Do you have a link to that user agreement?
I googled and ended up to this which doesn't mention above point:
https://www.adobe.com/products/eula/too ... ivate.html

Thanks.
Tera
Answers: 2

Unread post by Tera »

Never mind. Found it:

https://www.adobe.com/legal/terms-linkfree.html

thanks again.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

There are 2 reasons I don't read EULA.

1. They are full of stuff that will make me unhappy.
2. The only alternative is to turn off the computer.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

Tera wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:35 pm Never mind. Found it:

https://www.adobe.com/legal/terms-linkfree.html

thanks again.
Ah.. So this wasn't actually in the EULA..?! (I did not find it myself, but weas alerted to "the group" by another member.)
Instead it was tucked away in a different document called "General Terms of Use..
And it is definitely new..
"Published February 17th, 2024. Effective as of February 17th, 2024. These General Terms of Use replace and supersede all prior versions."
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

SPerman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:30 am Adobe responded:

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2024/ ... rms-of-use
Didn't read the whole thing. But they are saying that they only use licensed material to train their AI. (I stopped reading at that point).

I may be being picky, but I didn't see where they pointed out the EULA stated they won't use users content for training the AI in the future.

But, I don't like or trust Adobe. They've had so many security problems that I avoid their software if I can... And I refuse to pay a yearly fee if I can find an alternative, and there are many for their products...ymmv.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

mattpeneguy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:51 am Didn't read the whole thing. But they are saying that they only use licensed material to train their AI. (I stopped reading at that point).

I may be being picky, but I didn't see where they pointed out the EULA stated they won't use users content for training the AI in the future.
And that right there is the actual issue with the entire scenario.
The usage of others works, without their knowledge, context, permission, feedback, etc, to train their ai bots.
I've read arguments about how this new ai tech for artists (without abilities or talent) is not really so different from a word processor for authors without grammar. But surely the emergence of other ai tech like chatgpt goes so much further than this.

I dunno. I do not have that kind of artistic talent (I wish) and even tho I feel this tech would enable me to create art, it doesn't feel right.
Certainly not the same as using CAD to replace a drawing table.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
ctsturdiv

Unread post by ctsturdiv »

I am slightly concerned if our industry starts this stuff.

Part of me thinks we are somewhat safe-ish since a lot of the graphics design stuff is all templates at entry level. Also, I don't think a big company is going to be okay with something like the mechanical drawing of an engine, floor plan of a commercial building, or something trade secret/ patented or possibly ITAR put out there.

Though content creation companies do not care. They just want ad revenue.

I have also seen people attempt on some videos use AI to make drawings and most of them make no sense and are not usable.

But still, when will you be able to log in to your company's 50K a year subscription to AutoCAD, tell AutoDesk AI to make you a part off of a 1970s era piece off of some heat exchanger, and it comes printed out automatically on your CNC machine with no labor other than someone to fill up the machine, stock it, and bring it somewhere with zero input from anyone?

Good if you own a company. Bad for people trying to make a living doing something cool. Like, if this stuff gets fully realized the only gigs will be physical labor and food service and people that fix the machines.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I view it as the world we live in, and until the majority of the population cares, it will only get worse.

Not only do I pay a fee to use acrobat, I also get popup ads. Perform a google search, and I'm told I need to let Google turn on GPS tracking. Last week, I got an email from DSS thanking me for joining something (I haven't joined anything over there in years.) Shortly after that the spam emails started arriving. I go and unsubscribe from everytrhing, but the emails continue for several days. (Because in 2024, you can add someone to a spam list instantly, but removing them involves carrier pigeons and forms that must be signed off by 14 levels of management.)
-
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

ctsturdiv wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:07 am Good if you own a company. Bad for people trying to make a living doing something cool. Like, if this stuff gets fully realized the only gigs will be physical labor and food service and people that fix the machines.
Yes, people will lose job.
But they can find something else to do.
They can learn to do new stuff.

Then if AI and robot can do everything, then people don't need to work and just enjoy life.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Everyone, just buy the Affinity suite, its on sale for 50%.....so $83 for a universal License for Photo, Designer, and Publisher. Perpetual license....no ads.....and does 90% of what Photoshop and Illustrator does.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/
Jason
ctsturdiv

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:00 am Yes, people will lose job.
But they can find something else to do.
They can learn to do new stuff.

Then if AI and robot can do everything, then people don't need to work and just enjoy life.
The problem is just because work ends, rent does not. Also, the jobs that replace them are very low paying jobs except for the few people that watch the machines.

In the 1960s, philosophers thought we would have a utopia of 20 day work weeks and leisure in the 2020s and 2030s. But it did not work that way.

Rent still comes. The landlords love their passive income. You still must eat. People get sick.

The people in control of the technology instead used it so the rules did not apply to them and made themselves incredibly wealthy and powerful. And in many cases turned it against other people. For instance, big landlords are using AI to get around price fixing in many markets in the US to where rent goes up every year and you must have 700 credit scores. If you as a landlord balk at using this, you are no longer able to access the landlord databases of the dwindling well heeled tenants and you lose advertisements. The apps for fast food will eliminate price lists. Instead, you will have an arbitrarily high price list and an AI through your app will change your price according to your zip code, occupation, habits, and time of day. Rich will not send out armies to crush people, but autonomous drones.

Future is scary.

I think we may, in some scenarios, be heading towards THIS 1960s version of the future:
image.png
Frederick_Law

ctsturdiv wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:01 pm The people in control of the technology instead used it so the rules did not apply to them and made themselves incredibly wealthy and powerful.
Yeap, AI is not the problem.

Everyone want's what's their and take what's other.
mp3-250
Answers: 20

Unread post by mp3-250 »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:08 am Yeap, AI is not the problem.

Everyone want's what's their and take what's other.
this is basically how the internet companies made money since the beginning.
Frederick_Law

mp3-250 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:29 pm this is basically how the internet companies made money since the beginning.
Most if not all big companies and governments.
They might start with good intent but money got in the way.

Of course we all want to take their money too.

It'll take radicle change of thinking to change that.
ctsturdiv

Now, if the people that make GIMP could be hit upside the head with a UI design handbook repeatedly, maybe at least Photoshop could be gotten rid of.

I have had to use GIMP occasionally back when I was texturing stuff for DnD maps.

I have damn near an Associates degree in CAD at this point and even I have trouble with that interface. Maybe I am still a newbie compared to you greybeards. Maybe I am lazy. Or not spending hours and hours on it. But I find it more obtuse than AutoCAD. (Though to be fair, I damn near have an Associates Degree in CAD at this point and it's kind of second nature)

But for image manipulation, Photoshop is the standard. Things that are (somewhat) simple in Photoshop are hidden in 20 nested menus for GIMP.

I don't mind them making money. But if I spent 1.5K to 3K on a machine and I want certain capabilities, I should be able to have this without a subscription.

I think the graphic designers should have that as well as us draftsmen.