Description property in Windows Explorer

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
mgibeault
Answers: 1

Description property in Windows Explorer

Unread post by mgibeault »

Is the second "Description" property, the good one that shows what we add in SolidWorks is only available on computers that have SW installed?
mgibeault

Re: Description property in Windows Explorer

Reading my post today makes me think the question is not very clear...

In Windows' file Explorer, I have the habit to add a column to show the Description custom property of SolidWorks files.
I go through the process described on every reseller website such as this one: https://www.solidsolutions.co.uk/blog/2 ... s-folders/

But I have one computer where it doesn't work. There's only one "Description" available to show in the column chooser of Windows Explorer and it's the wrong one; the column stays empty.
It's the first time I try this on a computer which has no SW installation. Is that a pre-requisite? If so, which component should I install to get that capability?

Thanks!
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

mgibeault wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:13 am Reading my post today makes me think the question is not very clear...

In Windows' file Explorer, I have the habit to add a column to show the Description custom property of SolidWorks files.
I go through the process described on every reseller website such as this one: https://www.solidsolutions.co.uk/blog/2 ... s-folders/

But I have one computer where it doesn't work. There's only one "Description" available to show in the column chooser of Windows Explorer and it's the wrong one; the column stays empty.
It's the first time I try this on a computer which has no SW installation. Is that a pre-requisite? If so, which component should I install to get that capability?

Thanks!
I believe it is but I could be mistaken.
mgibeault

Thanks Alex,
I'll try to install some free stuff like SW File Explorer to see if I can get it without a full SW install.
I'll report back.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Mine is the second one
mgibeault

I managed to get back to this.
Effectively, when no SolidWorks is installed, only one Description column is available and it's the one that doesn't work.
Once SolidWorks is installed, the second Description column is available...