why won't it cut in the direction I'm telling it to?

Chalkbrood
Answers: 0

why won't it cut in the direction I'm telling it to?

Unread post by Chalkbrood »

this just keeps happening. No matter what directions I select it cuts upwards. For whatever reason when I've tried replicating this issue it just sometimes works despite no changes on my part. Why does this happen?
Attachments
extrude cut to surface is cutting in the wrong direction no matter what I do and also isn't even cutting to surface.png
matt
Answers: 19

Re: why won't it cut in the direction I'm telling it to?

Unread post by matt »

It's hard to see what you're trying to do, but it looks like the sketch projects outside of the bounds of the face, which SW is going to respond badly to. I personally would try to just select the faces of the rib and use Delete Face. You're trying to get rid of the rib, right?
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

I agree with Matt, it's pretty hard to see what is going on from the image you posted.

From what I can see, you've drawn a sketch on a sketch plane and told it to cut-extrude. That defines the direction; it will always be perpendicular to the sketch plane unless you give it a direction. The direction feature is a little obscure because Solidworks didn't see fit to use words on the instruction. If you put something in the blue box, it redefines the direction of extrusion. I'm not sure, but I think the only thing you can choose is a plane. Matt would probably know better than I what is usable.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Uncle_Hairball wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:08 pm . . . If you put something in the blue box, it redefines the direction of extrusion. I'm not sure, but I think the only thing you can choose is a plane. Matt would probably know better than I what is usable.
You can use a sketch line to define the direction of an Extrude. I have occasionally done that when extruding a 3d sketch.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
len_1962
Answers: 1

Unread post by len_1962 »

Yes as Matt suggested delet and patch if you are removing the rib!
I think you'll have to split the top face of the rib to delete and patch.

You can also try to do an offset of the edges inwards, say .1" to see if it cuts, then double click and change the dim to a smaller number till it fails.
I thinking it is having issues trying to finish on the exact edges of the selected surface. just a guess, but has happened to me.

then there are more things using surfacing if you cannot get some of what all of have suggested to getter done.

many tricks from our seat time