Solidworks and VPN

Arthur NY
Answers: 1

Solidworks and VPN

Unread post by Arthur NY »

Am wondering what others are experiencing in terms of trying to open files on their company's servers over a network using a VPN? Anyone have experience with a good VPN software?

The current one that is being used is the default windows 11 one and opening files takes 4mins over the network vs opening the files locally only takes about 45 seconds.
josh
Answers: 15

Re: Solidworks and VPN

Unread post by josh »

Our VPN performance is about the same. Any sort of serious SW files is just a lot of data going over the pipe, probably getting encrypted/decrypted etc.
AlexB
Answers: 27

Unread post by AlexB »

I'll echo what's been said already. The added latency of the connection from home as well as over VPN makes communication with PDM much slower. So, in addition to file transfers being slowed down, the SQL queries required for browsing the vault and making changes to files take much longer.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

If possible, I would recommend RDP'ing into a computer local to the network. I do that quite a bit and it is almost as good as being on site.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

As an answer to your original question, I recommend ZeroTier. My IT guy says it serves the same function as a VPN, but is more secure, easier to set up, and (I think) faster than a traditional VPN. I've never had PDM onsite, so I can't compare, but I'm sure onsite would be quicker. The Zerotier speeds are managable. It's only an issue when doing bulk PDM operations.

https://www.zerotier.com/

(I realized after making the above post that while the RDP is an option,, my server was offsite, and so not really the answer to the question.)
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
xellentia
Answers: 0

Unread post by xellentia »

The network speed between your local PC and the archive server must be fast enough, regardless if you are on VPN… the technical jargon is “latency”, and it should be below 100 ms (Milli seconds).

See this link
https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2022/ ... 0functions.
Arthur NY
Answers: 1

Unread post by Arthur NY »

Thanks all for the feedback. One thing I know is that we do have some great bandwidth.....

Verizon fios 1Gig plan. The speed should be around 900 download/upload (ethernet), Wifi will vary a lot 200 to 400 download and 150 to 300 upload.