Solidworks configurations copy derived configurations together in the same part

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Ömür Tokman
Answers: 1

Solidworks configurations copy derived configurations together in the same part

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

Hi Guys,

Solidworks configurations copy derived configurations together in the same part.
I'm looking for an easy way to do this.

As you can see in the picture below, I am creating the Metric configurations of a bolt, (manually)
I do not want to use Excel (table).
For example, when I want to create an M 8, I create the configuration and its individual sub-configurations manually. I thought of copying and pasting a configuration with its sub-configurations in the same part and changing its names and dimensions, but there is no such option.
There must be something I do not know!
I kindly request your support for a practical solution.
2024-08-03_13-57-07.png

https://grabcad.com/omur.tokman-1/models
by DanPihlaja » Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:18 am
Ömür Tokman wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:06 am Hi Guys,

Solidworks configurations copy derived configurations together in the same part.

As you can see in the picture below, I am creating the Metric configurations of a bolt, (manually)
For example, when I want to create an M 8, I create the configuration and its individual sub-configurations manually. I thought of copying and pasting a configuration with its sub-configurations in the same part and changing its names and dimensions, but there is no such option.

2024-08-03_13-57-07.png

Just hit CTRL C on the parent configuration, and then CTRL V on the top level. It copies the parent config and all downstream configs.
image.png
Go to full post
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Re: Solidworks configurations copy derived configurations together in the same part

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Ömür Tokman wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:06 am Hi Guys,

2024-08-03_13-57-07.png

Just hit CTRL C on the parent configuration, and then CTRL V on the top level. It copies the parent config and all downstream configs.
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Ömür Tokman

Re: Solidworks configurations copy derived configurations together in the same part

DanPihlaja wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:18 am Just hit CTRL C on the parent configuration, and then CTRL V on the top level. It copies the parent config and all downstream configs.

image.png
Thanks Dan,
I will try it tomorrow and get back to you.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Unfortunately it doesn't copy any exploded views attached to the configuration. :(
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanPihlaja

SPerman wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:48 pm Unfortunately it doesn't copy any exploded views attached to the configuration. :(
Ahh. I didn't test it far enough....

UU
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

It would be really helpful if there were a way to copy exploded views.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanPihlaja

SPerman wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 4:12 pm It would be really helpful if there were a way to copy exploded views.

Actually, you can.

While the exploded views don't copy when you copy/paste the parent config, you can select the exploded view itself and copy and paste it to a new config.

You just have to do them individually.

(I am using SW 2022, SP4)
image.png
image.png (21 KiB) Viewed 806 times
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I could swear I tried that in the past without success. Good to know how to make it work.
-
Ömür Tokman

DanPihlaja wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:18 am Just hit CTRL C on the parent configuration, and then CTRL V on the top level. It copies the parent config and all downstream configs.

image.png
I tried many things but I don't know why I didn't try this. o[

Yes it is, it works. Thanks Dan.