Watercooler Talk

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Re: Watercooler Talk

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:59 pm So, was anyone affected by Hurricane/Tropical Storm Debby? We got hit on friday with over 4 inches of rain, Montreal had it pretty rough with floods but some place had it worse with landslides and roads collapsing. We got a lot of rain and a lot of wind where I live but only a few places were flooded in the area.
Michigan: Meteorologically boring. And I like it.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

We got heavy rain for about 24 hours straight on Thursday.

There was a time on Tuesday where it was like an invisible wall was blocking the storm. 20 miles east, all the way to the coast is getting hammered. We just had a cloudy day.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Pretty lucky eh, they were saying we'd be spared at first but changed opinion 24 hours before it hit and even then they weren't really expecting that much of a rainfall. I was surprised to see that we got more then Ontario or the northen US States.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:59 pm So, was anyone affected by Hurricane/Tropical Storm Debby? We got hit on friday with over 4 inches of rain, Montreal had it pretty rough with floods but some place had it worse with landslides and roads collapsing. We got a lot of rain and a lot of wind where I live but only a few places were flooded in the area.
I live near Jacksonville, FL. We only got about 3" of rain (that's 7.5cm for you). Just north and NW of me there was a lot more. About 60 miles (100km) west of me there were reports of 15" and more (38cm).
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
AlexLachance

DennisD wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:50 pm I live near Jacksonville, FL. We only got about 3" of rain (that's 7.5cm for you). Just north and NW of me there was a lot more. About 60 miles (100km) west of me there were reports of 15" and more (38cm).
15 inches, jesus that's crazy. That'd be over 12 feet of snow if it were to fall in snow.
AlexLachance

Project me and 2 collegues worked on, I worked on the rear trailer, one guy did the dumping trailer and the other did the development for special stuff such as the side-doors and the tarp system. Since it is a B-Train, the axles of the front trailer require to slide up front so that the trailer can dump. I think I spoke about it before.

https://algoma.app.box.com/s/j23x4y4k0f ... ew7kmx1u7p
ctsturdiv
Answers: 0

Unread post by ctsturdiv »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:09 am Project me and 2 collegues worked on, I worked on the rear trailer, one guy did the dumping trailer and the other did the development for special stuff such as the side-doors and the tarp system. Since it is a B-Train, the axles of the front trailer require to slide up front so that the trailer can dump. I think I spoke about it before.

https://algoma.app.box.com/s/j23x4y4k0f ... ew7kmx1u7p
That seems a lot more complicated that it seems at first.

You are saying it's the axles where the tires are that bend?

I always thought on those things it was the vertical horizontal hydrolic lift cylinder that is moving a few degrees to the rear of the truck. Along with some kind of brace to keep it from moving too deep an angle.

Regardless, it looks sharp in action.
image.png
AlexLachance

ctsturdiv wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:56 pm That seems a lot more complicated that it seems at first.

You are saying it's the axles where the tires are that bend?

I always thought on those things it was the vertical horizontal hydrolic lift cylinder that is moving a few degrees to the rear of the truck. Along with some kind of brace to keep it from moving too deep an angle.

Regardless, it looks sharp in action.

image.png
There are different variants, in this case it is a chassis that slides on nylon and is "dragged" by the truck. So he reverses with breaks locked to have the chassis slide front so that the trailer can dump, and puts it in drive with breaks locked to have the fifth wheel slide-out and be able to have the other trailer pin onto it.
ctsturdiv

AlexLachance wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 11:38 am There are different variants, in this case it is a chassis that slides on nylon and is "dragged" by the truck. So he reverses with breaks locked to have the chassis slide front so that the trailer can dump, and puts it in drive with breaks locked to have the fifth wheel slide-out and be able to have the other trailer pin onto it.
Okay, I think I am wrapping my head around it.

Just never been exposed to a lot of vehicle type stuff and it I had not have take drafting probably would not have even thought about it. But watching the video, I started going down a rabbit hole for a few minutes on how you would design something like this.

Thanks for sharing!

I would imagine if something on that assembly breaks, it's not like you can just walk up into AutoZone for it. LOL.
AlexLachance

ctsturdiv wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:09 pm Okay, I think I am wrapping my head around it.

Just never been exposed to a lot of vehicle type stuff and it I had not have take drafting probably would not have even thought about it. But watching the video, I started going down a rabbit hole for a few minutes on how you would design something like this.

Thanks for sharing!

I would imagine if something on that assembly breaks, it's not like you can just walk up into AutoZone for it. LOL.
Indeed, there are certain things which you can get at most shops, like an air booster for the breaks for instance, but if it's something like a beam's web then generally you have to contact us

On another note, I've had the opportunity to be invited to visit Dassault's facilities and do some troubleshooting with them on the pre-release. It's been awesome to meet so many people that I've interacted with over the years and finally putting a face on them and speaking face to face. I cannot stress enough how grateful I am for the opportunity.

Me and Matthew Hall
image.png
AlexLachance

ctsturdiv wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:09 pm Okay, I think I am wrapping my head around it.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm back in the office, here's a picture of the dumpingg trailer with the axles pulled out

image.png
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 8:54 am I'm back in the office, here's a picture of the dumpingg trailer with the axles pulled out

image.png
That's a cool solution instead of pintle hitch dollies. I'm guessing it trails/trains a lot nicer then tandems/triples on dollies? Backing up is a bit more realistic. It seems a bit of chore to unhook to unload, but again, less than other solutions. Are these typically used in longish hauls, like several hours of driving between dumps? Are road trains popular in your area or do these go to Australia?
AlexLachance

bnemec wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:46 am That's a cool solution instead of pintle hitch dollies. I'm guessing it trails/trains a lot nicer then tandems/triples on dollies? Backing up is a bit more realistic. It seems a bit of chore to unhook to unload, but again, less than other solutions. Are these typically used in longish hauls, like several hours of driving between dumps? Are road trains popular in your area or do these go to Australia?
Road trains are popular in Canada for transits on highway but if I'm not mistaken they can only do a certain distance from highways to their destination. The goal of this train is to be able to carry the load of steel coils to a client and then leave with the scrap metal the client has and whatever else can be put on the rear trailer. The locking and unlocking of the sliding frame can all be done from the truck's cabin.
AlexLachance

New trailer model we developped, made to carry chickens to the slaughterhouse. The roof is operated by hydraulics, it lifts to give clearance when loading/unloading.
Resized_20240829_145351.jpeg
Resized_20240829_152849.jpeg
ctsturdiv

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:19 pm New trailer model we developped, made to carry chickens to the slaughterhouse. The roof is operated by hydraulics, it lifts to give clearance when loading/unloading.

Resized_20240829_145351.jpeg
Resized_20240829_152849.jpeg
Looks like a cool solution to getting people in there.

Funny enough, I did have someone from a transportation company look at my Linked In. I must have come up in a search. They did not message or anything. But I view stuff like that kind of like dating app "likes". Meaningless. And just like dating, I did not consider it a success unless I have gotten them off the app, met for coffee, been on a dte or so and am sleeping with them. LOL! Linked In, I think likes to play these psych games to get you to pay money just like dating apps. "Pay us to see who the hell this was so you can message them". Even though it could have been a fake view or a bot or some kind of scraper for a bossiness analyst firm. Thankfully, I am married and don't have to deal with that anymore at least on the partner front. But will on career front.

Type of stuff you do I would be not be opposed to interning at or doing entry level, but in my area it seems just from casual looking guarded by nepotism and the people that do it have been doing it since the 1990s it seems.

But I will deal with that headache in January.

I hate job hunting. Especially career switch job hunting.

Do love seeing those projects, though.