Suppressed Missing mates

Jim Steinmeyer
Answers: 0

Suppressed Missing mates

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

I have searched and with reading into some comments on related topics I think I have the answer, but before I hopelessly destroy some assemblies I want to double check. Mates that show as "Suppressed (Missing)" are mates that are to components that are no longer in the model and can be deleted without harming the model or any of it's configurations. Correct?

Thank you

Jim
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Re: Suppressed Missing mates

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

When you delete a component in an assembly, and you do not have the following checked when you delete it:
image.png
Then, it will leave the mates inside the tree looking like this:
image.png
Notice that there is only 1 component referenced?

If you proceed to edit that mate, you get the following:
image.png
Generally, these mates are OK to delete.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:53 pm I have searched and with reading into some comments on related topics I think I have the answer, but before I hopelessly destroy some assemblies I want to double check. Mates that show as "Suppressed (Missing)" are mates that are to components that are no longer in the model and can be deleted without harming the model or any of it's configurations. Correct?

Thank you

Jim
Not necessarly. For instance, we have a cylinder with a flexible configuration that allows it to stretch between it's maximum and minimum range and a configuration for the maximum and one for the minimum. Mates in gray that show up with missing references such as "face" like Dan pointed out are some you can delete, but always be careful while proceeding and double check if you're not sure before saving.

Edit: if they show up as "suppressed (Missing)" then they are indeed missing a reference and can generally be removed. Often people add a new mate rather then fix the one with the missing reference..
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I find it is sometimes handy to fix the broken mate references, rather than delete and start over.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

SPerman wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:38 pm I find it is sometimes handy to fix the broken mate references, rather than delete and start over.
Same, unless they are too hard to figure out but that is rarely the case.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:53 pm I have searched and with reading into some comments on related topics I think I have the answer, but before I hopelessly destroy some assemblies I want to double check. Mates that show as "Suppressed (Missing)" are mates that are to components that are no longer in the model and can be deleted without harming the model or any of it's configurations. Correct?

Thank you

Jim
Assuming your Assembly is fully defined, and there is only one configuration, I don't see any reason not to delete suppressed mates. If there are multiple configurations then those mates may not be suppressed in all of them. Without more information about the file that's about the best I can do.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Dwight
Answers: 2

Unread post by Dwight »

We delete suppressed mates left by deleting components. We use the setting that has them flagged as errors, to help with clean-up.

Dwight
image.png
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Dwight wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:59 am We delete suppressed mates left by deleting components. We use the setting that has them flagged as errors, to help with clean-up.

Dwight

image.png
Dwight,

You probably already know this, but if you de-select that option then when you delete a component you should get a dialog box asking if you want to delete dependent items, absorbed features, etc. That way you won't need to clean them up.

Again, you probably already know this, but it may help someone else.

Glenn
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"