Solidworks Explorer - Does anyone really miss it?

TRKemp
Answers: 0

Solidworks Explorer - Does anyone really miss it?

Unread post by TRKemp »

I'm upgrading the office soon from 2019 SP5 , to 2020 SP5 since I've learned to lag about a year behind on versions in the event there a service pack that has allot of issues. With that, we'll be following in line with those who no longer have access to Explorer.

Has anyone run into an instance where this really created a problem for them? From what I can tell, moving it to the menu shouldn't create too many downsides, however I did like using explorer to repair broken references that sometimes arose from doing Pack and Go functions that had suppressed components within them. We use alot of virtual components here, and the Pack and Go has been notorious for not treating those items kindly and losing track of its temporary file location. Thus when you open the assembly in your new location, those parts have gone missing. Using the "Save As" with references as a follow up operation was a work around to this, but the downside is those suppressed components weren't making the trip.

I'm hoping if I run into this circumstance in 2020, I'll still be able to repair those references easily.

Thanks for your feedback, and also .. it's nice to be on a CAD forum you can actually navigate!
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Solidworks Explorer - Does anyone really miss it?

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

There was one? It was gone?
No idea UU
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Unread post by Roasted By John »

I don't miss it..
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
TRKemp

Unread post by TRKemp »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:13 pm There was one? It was gone?
No idea UU
There was!
image.png
image.png (169.8 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
Arthur McR

Unread post by Arthur McR »

I've missed it a couple times. If your project has multiple windows explorer folder levels and you don't have all the referencing assemblies open the internalized tools don't see the extra assemblies. Previously if you knew there was a folder that contained referencing assemblies you could simply point the Solidworks Explorer there. But this is something I've only ran into twice in the last 6 months not not exactly a common occurrence.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I don't miss it, but I don't like the new "file open" interface. (I think it changed when they took away solidworks explorer. Maybe it's been this way longer than that.)

(This is a GIF.)
file.gif
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
TRKemp

Unread post by TRKemp »

Arthur McR wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:21 pm I've missed it a couple times. If your project has multiple windows explorer folder levels and you don't have all the referencing assemblies open the internalized tools don't see the extra assemblies. Previously if you knew there was a folder that contained referencing assemblies you could simply point the Solidworks Explorer there. But this is something I've only ran into twice in the last 6 months not not exactly a common occurrence.
Yeah, I thought at a minimum that you could at least see all of the references associated with each part or assembly up front so you knew if you needed to re-associate something. I imagine I'll be in a similar situation where it won't need addressed often, but it will be frustrating when it happens and there's a way I used to be able to resolve it easily but now - no dice.
TRKemp

Unread post by TRKemp »

SPerman wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:22 pm I don't miss it, but I don't like the new "file open" interface. (I think it changed when they took away solidworks explorer. Maybe it's been this way longer than that.)

(This is a GIF.)

file.gif
This always puzzled me. Opening a file is the most basic operation and they've invented about 15 different ways to query what you want to find for just (3) different file types. It's become very convoluted..
Frederick_Law

TRKemp wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:32 pm This always puzzled me. Opening a file is the most basic operation and they've invented about 15 different ways to query what you want to find for just (3) different file types. It's become very convoluted..
And they haven't nail it down yet.
So you'll see another 1251 ways.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:50 pm And they haven't nail it down yet.
So you'll see another 1251 ways.
Go figure, you go over there and ask them how to view where a picture you've uploaded was used in order to locate that specific post, and the answer they give you is how to add a description to a picture.
Frederick_Law

Barking up the wrong tree.
Pissing in the wrong SwYmP.
;;
JMOS4

Unread post by JMOS4 »

Hi,

Still on 2019, but curious, can you rename files in explorer as that was the only function I used that was part of Solidworks explorer, been a long while since I used that directly
image.png

Also do you still have the option of changing a reference on a drawing or assembly
image.png
Regards,
Jim
TRKemp

Unread post by TRKemp »

JMOS4 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 am Hi,

Still on 2019, but curious, can you rename files in explorer as that was the only function I used that was part of Solidworks explorer, been a long while since I used that directly

image.png

Also do you still have the option of changing a reference on a drawing or assembly

image.png

Regards,
Jim
Renaming files will be the same in 2020 - you'll just only have access to the RMB menu that you show in your first pic and no explorer as a second option.

Changing references should be possible as well with the "replace" function, but the real downside to me is that you can't see the "full path" structure that you could in explorer - so your not really sure if there's a reference that exists that may need to be re-associated to the model you want to point it too. However ...

It seems to me you'll have to use a combination of the RMB menu & the References button - One to change or replace the location and one to view the references associated with the model or drawing.
Attachments
image.png
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

TRKemp wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:55 pm I'm upgrading the office soon from 2019 SP5 , to 2020 SP5 since I've learned to lag about a year behind on versions in the event there a service pack that has allot of issues. With that, we'll be following in line with those who no longer have access to Explorer.

Has anyone run into an instance where this really created a problem for them? From what I can tell, moving it to the menu shouldn't create too many downsides, however I did like using explorer to repair broken references that sometimes arose from doing Pack and Go functions that had suppressed components within them. We use alot of virtual components here, and the Pack and Go has been notorious for not treating those items kindly and losing track of its temporary file location. Thus when you open the assembly in your new location, those parts have gone missing. Using the "Save As" with references as a follow up operation was a work around to this, but the downside is those suppressed components weren't making the trip.

I'm hoping if I run into this circumstance in 2020, I'll still be able to repair those references easily.

Thanks for your feedback, and also .. it's nice to be on a CAD forum you can actually navigate!
I miss it but I don't bcuz it was so darn slow (it could have been so much better, but alas). as mentioned, most is there within explorer.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Frederick_Law

I usually do renaming in SW assembly.
When you change the name in the tree, it could change the filename also.
From there, you could search for "where used", ie other assembly and drawing which used that file.
Jim Steinmeyer

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

Like @zxys001 I kind of miss it but rarely used it because I would open it and go for a cup of coffee while I waited. It was nice to be able to find all of the where used locations but because of the slow operation I have found workarounds for anything else you could have done with it.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:45 pm Like @zxys001 I kind of miss it but rarely used it because I would open it and go for a cup of coffee while I waited. It was nice to be able to find all of the where used locations but because of the slow operation I have found workarounds for anything else you could have done with it.
Same here. I liked it, but not its slow speed, so I haven't used it in years. Honestly I didn't even know it was gone.

I always wondered why it didn't run an indexing in the background and update as you made changes, but then I'm just an engineer and logical questions like that are not allowed.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
TRKemp

Unread post by TRKemp »

Seems like the consensus based on the small sample size here is that I'll probably run into a few instances where it could have been helpful, but I won't notice 99% of the time. Hopefully the instances that make it a necessity in the first place get fixed in future versions... we will see.
Jeremy Feist

Unread post by Jeremy Feist »

haven't used it since 2011 - when we launched PDM
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:17 pm I usually do renaming in SW assembly.
When you change the name in the tree, it could change the filename also.
From there, you could search for "where used", ie other assembly and drawing which used that file.
Same here, but like with so many SW enhancements, I was frustrated by the implementation. Why didn't they extend that feature to allow re-naming Parts and Assemblies from a Drawing?

That's one I don't think ever made it to the 5% threads started by @Alin on the old forum.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Bibotac

Unread post by Bibotac »

I found it so slow, that I preferred to create my own which uses an index.
And with time I added a lot of other functions
  • batch rename
  • Batch rename from Excel
  • Batch print
  • Bach export
https://sites.google.com/site/bibotacconcept
Bradfordzzz

Unread post by Bradfordzzz »

Bibotac wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:28 am I found it so slow, that I preferred to create my own which uses an index.
  • batch rename
  • Batch print
  • Bach export
Use this quite often. Works Great. I like it far better than Solidworks explorer.
Its faster, and has more options. and Joel is very helpful in its use, and adding even more functionality.
Frederick_Law

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:01 am Same here, but like with so many SW enhancements, I was frustrated by the implementation. Why didn't they extend that feature to allow re-naming Parts and Assemblies from a Drawing?

That's one I don't think ever made it to the 5% threads started by @Alin on the old forum.
Working on 1000 parts import for a few weeks.
Looks like customer did it in multibody. We get a weldment and a machined assembly.
Import result in 2 part files.
Saving the bodies out give import1.sldprt to import1000.sldprt
So I use PnG to change all the filenames so they don't replace each other.

Some features are only 5% implemented.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

I rarely use SWx Explorer. When I do, it is an open-ended task that takes as long as needed, because it's so slow.

My files are stored on a network space. Would SWx Explorer find Where Used faster if I ran this upon the server instead of my client workstation?
Thanks.
TRKemp

Unread post by TRKemp »

Bibotac wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:28 am I found it so slow, that I preferred to create my own which uses an index.
  • batch rename
  • Batch print
  • Bach export
Bookmarked, thanks for posting!
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Did I find a failing of Solidworks Explorer, or am I doing it wrong?

Somehow, sometime, someone (probably me, duh) duplicated a file into a new subdirectory in my library. It is used incredibly commonly in my work, tee.SLDPRT , a socketweld tee pipe fitting. I wanted to know where THIS file was used so that I can remove references to it and replace them if needed with the proper component. I believe this is not what I got in return. I think that it is returning every assembly or derived part which contains a reference to a file with this same name, but not THIS redundant file in this location.

That is, it shows me Where Used for both this bad one and the other, properly developed and stored file of the exact same name. The results are indistinguishable.

It is also returning, in the case of one derived part, components where this was used and then its reference was broken. What's the point of breaking this reference when it still finds it in a search for where used? I am so confused.
TRKemp

Unread post by TRKemp »

Tom G wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:16 pm Did I find a failing of Solidworks Explorer, or am I doing it wrong?

Somehow, sometime, someone (probably me, duh) duplicated a file into a new subdirectory in my library. It is used incredibly commonly in my work, tee.SLDPRT , a socketweld tee pipe fitting. I wanted to know where THIS file was used so that I can remove references to it and replace them if needed with the proper component. I believe this is not what I got in return. I think that it is returning every assembly or derived part which contains a reference to a file with this same name, but not THIS redundant file in this location.

That is, it shows me Where Used for both this bad one and the other, properly developed and stored file of the exact same name. The results are indistinguishable.

It is also returning, in the case of one derived part, components where this was used and then its reference was broken. What's the point of breaking this reference when it still finds it in a search for where used? I am so confused.
Does seem like it's just a limitation of the program. Unless you can query by something that makes that part unique, I think its probably not going to help you find those needles in the proverbial haystack.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Tom G wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:16 pm Did I find a failing of Solidworks Explorer, or am I doing it wrong?

Maybe this is your saving grace. Provided both parts are identical copies, why not delete the copy (Ok...move and rename it for safe keeping), then do a rename on the original and let it find everything and update. Then rename it back. Seems like this would "update" all of the broken references to the second copy we just deleted.

Yeah, I don't get why the reference is still left in place when you break it. I get leaving a history in the file but not the actual reference. Pack n Go does ignore it but Rename does not.
Jason
TRKemp

Unread post by TRKemp »

So I updated to 2020 SP.5 yesterday, and lo and behold its missing a primary function for renaming assemblies with virtual components. Originally in 2019 SP.5 - there was a "search" button: you would check the box "include virtual components" , hit the "search" button - it would populate those items, then you could rename your assembly successfully.

Now if you just check the box - there is not a search function - and as I expected after a test - the references of those virtual components do not update and reference the new name :(
image.png
If anyone still has 2019 - they can probably verify the button I'm describing.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

TRKemp wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:31 am So I updated to 2020 SP.5 yesterday, and lo and behold its missing a primary function for renaming assemblies with virtual components. Originally in 2019 SP.5 - there was a "search" button: you would check the box "include virtual components" , hit the "search" button - it would populate those items, then you could rename your assembly successfully.

Now if you just check the box - there is not a search function - and as I expected after a test - the references of those virtual components do not update and reference the new name :(

image.png

If anyone still has 2019 - they can probably verify the button I'm describing.
Yeah, you can tell they redesigned the dialogue, a lot of little changes.
image.png
Jason
TRKemp

Unread post by TRKemp »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:30 pm Yeah, you can tell they redesigned the dialogue, a lot of little changes.
image.png
Yeah, that's the one. What a pain this is going to turn out to be... probably see it back in release 2022 SP.5....
TRKemp

Unread post by TRKemp »

Per the VAR: There is an open SPR for the issue....

"SPR 1194201: Virtual Component external references status becomes out of context after parent assembly is renamed"

Update..

My work-around so far is this:
Open drawing referencing the assembly you want to rename- open the assembly and rename it using "save as" with references.

Go to File > open > click on any other drawings that file is referenced in. Click on "references" in lower pane.

Double click on where the original file name is referenced and replace with the newly named file by browsing to it and selecting it from the list.

Delete the original after it's been replaced in all "where used" instances..

<()>