Patterning and Mirroring

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
matt
Answers: 18

Patterning and Mirroring

Unread post by matt »

Patterning and mirroring in 2D and 3D are great tools that are very often misunderstood. The available training mostly only covers the simplest cases, and really doesn't do anything to help you troubleshoot situations when things don't happen the way you expect them to. One of the big reasons that I wrote the SolidWorks Bible was to help people understand what's supposed to happen, troubleshoot situations when that doesn't happen, and then make the software do what you need it to do. Sometimes you have to shift your expectations. Sometimes you have to visualize what's happening in a different way.

I've extracted the chapter on Patterning and Mirroring from my 2018 Mastering SolidWorks book. If you haven't read my stuff before, it differs from general CAD books in that it's not trying to sell you anything. We go more into the "why" than any other book I've read. That helps you get your job done today, but it also helps with those problems that you're going to come up against tomorrow. I think the extra text is worth your effort.

app.php/downloadsystemdownload?id=17
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Patterning and Mirroring

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Hey Matt,

I doubt it's the case, but are there versions in different languages? My co-workers are not so great at english and I'd like to have them read this. I think it's something most people over here grasp, but having it broken down to show the significant difference in one method versus the other would certainly help them understand it better and perhaps even help them memorize the significant difference.

I haven't read it entirely yet, I'm on the third page of it, but I'm kind of eager to reach the end and read the section about 3D miroring techniques.
matt

Unread post by matt »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:41 am Hey Matt,

I doubt it's the case, but are there versions in different languages? My co-workers are not so great at english and I'd like to have them read this. I think it's something most people over here grasp, but having it broken down to show the significant difference in one method versus the other would certainly help them understand it better and perhaps even help them memorize the significant difference.

I haven't read it entirely yet, I'm on the third page of it, but I'm kind of eager to reach the end and read the section about 3D miroring techniques.
No. They tried doing a partial version in Chinese once. I still have copies if you want one. They haven't done another language that I know of. There are so many SW books out there. If other people would just stop writing and let mine sell, we could get it translated. Plus, there's the version issue.

Translation is the single biggest issue that prevents CAD companies from producing better documentation. Well, that and they don't hire the right people.

Unfortunately, they couldn't print in color, so there is no sarcasm font in the book. The editors tried hard to edit all of the sarcasm out, and as punishment made me say the same stuff straight. But I did slip some by them from time to time. "Oh, that's a technical expression."
pmarsman
Answers: 0

Unread post by pmarsman »

I can't seem to open the file... so it is either I'm too new kid on the block or I just having a Monday on Wednesday
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

pmarsman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:24 am I can't seem to open the file... so it is either I'm too new kid on the block or I just having a Monday on Wednesday
Same here. I get this error:
image.png
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:52 am Same here. I get this error:
image.png
Yeah, that was part of "the great corruption". I updated the file, it's now from the 2018 book instead of the 2013 book, and it's now in the Downloads extension, but I replaced the link in the first post of this thread.

app.php/downloadsystemdownload?id=17