Dimensions in Synchronous

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
matt
Answers: 18

Dimensions in Synchronous

Unread post by matt »

Solid Edge synchronous technology enables you to change how dimensions react to change on the fly. You don't have to change the "programming" of how sketch relations and parent/child relations are set up, you just tell it you want this end or that end to move, or move symmetrically. This is design intent on the fly. There is no feature order. There is no list of features or dependencies or parent/child stuff that you have to navigate.

This video is a little old, but check it out. 6 minutes. You're in control of that 1" dimension and the concentric hole doesn't determine what drives what (the hole or the cylindrical face).

bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Dimensions in Synchronous

Unread post by bnemec »

Thanks for posting these here Matt. ST is so cool to use. If I had been in Solid Edge at a different job with different usage I would have taken hook line and sinker.
Well, maybe after ST4 or 5.

I think the power really shines in mixed mode. Thing is (my grasp of it) is to get started in sync one must forget just about everything they know about solid modeling. It was very difficult to get the ordered mode muscle memory out of my head.

Do they have much ST going in sheet metal yet?
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

bnemec wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:12 pm Thanks for posting these here Matt. ST is so cool to use. If I had been in Solid Edge at a different job with different usage I would have taken hook line and sinker.
Well, maybe after ST4 or 5.

I think the power really shines in mixed mode. Thing is (my grasp of it) is to get started in sync one must forget just about everything they know about solid modeling. It was very difficult to get the ordered mode muscle memory out of my head.

Do they have much ST going in sheet metal yet?
Absolutely, https://solidedge.siemens.com/en/soluti ... al-design/. It puts SW in the dust.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Here's another little video I just created to show controlling how dimensions react on the fly. I think this is powerful and brilliant.

VTmechie
Answers: 0

Unread post by VTmechie »

matt wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:41 pm Here's another little video I just created to show controlling how dimensions react on the fly. I think this is powerful and brilliant.

wow matt you have some old stuff on that you tube page
matt

Unread post by matt »

VTmechie wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:22 pm wow matt you have some old stuff on that you tube page
Yeah, well I'm an old dude, I've got an excuse. Uh, did I leave something up there that I shouldn't have?
TusharSuradkar

Unread post by TusharSuradkar »

@matt
A great deal of my understanding of synchronous has come from your videos, articles, and replies to QA on various forums.
Thank you once again for this old-is-gold video.
matt

Unread post by matt »

TusharSuradkar wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:51 am @matt
A great deal of my understanding of synchronous has come from your videos, articles, and replies to QA on various forums.
Thank you once again for this old-is-gold video.
Thanks, Tushar. I hope all is going well for you.
Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ry-guy »

bnemec wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:12 pm ... to get started in sync one must forget just about everything they know about solid modeling. It was very difficult to get the ordered mode muscle memory out of my head.
You are correct..ST, in my opinion puts "design" back in the forefront- instead of history-based update strategy.
Jim Elias

Unread post by Jim Elias »

the Siemens synchronous palette is fantastic, but I will beg to differ on the whole history-vs-amnesia thing... all us NXers can't just be a bunch of Neanderthals.
Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Jim Elias wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:05 am the Siemens synchronous palette is fantastic, but I will beg to differ on the whole history-vs-amnesia thing... all us NXers can't just be a bunch of Neanderthals.
Syncronous changes are handled differently in NX. They are actually all history-based edits in there. As for Neanderthals..maybe not quite? Maybe just Denisovan instead? ;-)