mimicking file access speed of solidworks eplorer

Programming and macros
colt
Answers: 0

mimicking file access speed of solidworks eplorer

Unread post by colt »

How does sw explorer access file details so quickly? It looks like it can access the assembly component list without fully opening the file. Can this speed be harnessed in a macro or external application?

I would like to write a program that reduces the time it takes to do the solidworks file shell extensions like move, rename, and replace. It looks like the search function that sw explorer uses could be improved by delegating the search to multiple cores. My idea hinges on being able to instantly access the assembly component list like sw explorer.
by JSculley » Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm
colt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:20 pm How does sw explorer access file details so quickly? It looks like it can access the assembly component list without fully opening the file.
Most likely, it uses the Document Manager API, just like PDM does.
Go to full post
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: mimicking file access speed of solidworks eplorer

Unread post by AlexLachance »

colt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:20 pm How does sw explorer access file details so quickly? It looks like it can access the assembly component list without fully opening the file. Can this speed be harnessed in a macro or external application?

I would like to write a program that reduces the time it takes to do the solidworks file shell extensions like move, rename, and replace. It looks like the search function that sw explorer uses could be improved by delegating the search to multiple cores. My idea hinges on being able to instantly access the assembly component list like sw explorer.
Can't really help you on this, but CustomTools does exactly what you speak of, maybe somewhere on their site it explains how it works?
colt
Answers: 0

Unread post by colt »

Yeah, that is exactly what I want. Good find. I wonder if you need to have integrated pdm or if this is running off raw file set.
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

colt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:20 pm How does sw explorer access file details so quickly? It looks like it can access the assembly component list without fully opening the file.
Most likely, it uses the Document Manager API, just like PDM does.
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

colt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:20 pm How does sw explorer access file details so quickly? It looks like it can access the assembly component list without fully opening the file. Can this speed be harnessed in a macro or external application?

You can check the following tools where SWDM is used

https://sites.google.com/site/bibotacconcept
http://www.esoxrepublic.com/freeware/WhereUsed.php
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

gupta9665 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:08 pm You can check the following tools where SWDM is used

https://sites.google.com/site/bibotacconcept
http://www.esoxrepublic.com/freeware/WhereUsed.php
Hey Deepak,
What's the story with the surf board? Do you surf or was that something you made with SW and had fabricated? Looks like it has a SW related logo on it...Maybe you won it at an event?
image.png
image.png (23.13 KiB) Viewed 763 times
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:02 pm Hey Deepak,
What's the story with the surf board? Do you surf or was that something you made with SW and had fabricated? Looks like it has a SW related logo on it...Maybe you won it at an event?
image.png
Hey @mattpeneguy , this picture from CSWE event at #SWW18. I've not modeled or created this board in SW but I believe that this might have been created using SW UU

Below is picture with SW legends in it
CSWE SWW18.jpg
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger