Simple Sweep Fails

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
MaineSpring
Answers: 0

Simple Sweep Fails

Unread post by MaineSpring »

I've been trying for too long to get this sweep to solve and it's time to humble myself and ask for help. Sketch2 is the profile involving an unconstrained style spline (yes I know it should be fully defined and its not), and Sketch3 is the path comprised mostly of in-context references. Sweepcut is my preference, but could live with a sweepsolid.

File and screenshots attached.
Attachments
SolidSweep.SLDPRT
(86.73 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
FailedSweep.jpg
FailedSweepCut.jpg
HerrTick
Answers: 1

Re: Simple Sweep Fails

Unread post by HerrTick »

Start by making a copy of the proposed path and add each segment incrementally. See if there's a particular corner that causes trouble.

The underconstrained sketch should not be an issue. It might help to add a buffer sketch consisting of a sketch on the same plane and extracting the section sketch entities (i.e. "Convert Entities").

Since this is a series of lines and hard corners, you could resort to copying a single straight piece and miter-cutting.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Here's the first thing you're doing wrong:
image.png
image.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 536 times
What do you expect to happen? That's too small of a fillet to sweep. How are you making this? If you're cutting it and mitering it, then let the part reflect that, and remove the fillet altogether. No fillets. If you're bending it, say hi to Hulk for me. If you want the sweep to work, you're going to need Dumbledore.
image.png
image.png (11.5 KiB) Viewed 536 times
Eventually it does work.
image.png
All of your instincts are backwards:

- Don't fully define splines, it's a waste of time, and doesn't do what you think it does.

- The rest of your sketch needed more dimensions and relations, though.

- Connect the cross section to the path, it just works better.

- The tiny fillets killed the whole thing. That might not have happened if the section had been on the outside of the path, but then that spline at the end wouldn't have worked.
MaineSpring
Answers: 0

Unread post by MaineSpring »

Thank you guys for the input and humour.

The idea behind the tiny fillets was to introduce tangency in the path in as small an increment as possible. Thought that might help. It didn't.

Got the sweep to solve now, many thanks!