Running Computer Fast

Maha Nadarasa
Answers: 1

Running Computer Fast

Unread post by Maha Nadarasa »

Do use any software, which can clean and run the computer fast? There are many software in the market I do not know which is effective for SWX.
MJuric

Re: Running Computer Fast

Unread post by MJuric »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:40 pm Do use any software, which can clean and run the computer fast? There are many software in the market I do not know which is effective for SWX.
If you're computer is filled with garbage, installed/Uninstalled software, been running for years etc your best bet is to always do a completely new install of everything. Get all the data you need off it, wipe the drive, reformat and reinstall starting with the OS.

In my experience all the "We'll make your computer run like new again" software is generally little more than glorified defraggers and cache cleaners. Even the in depth ones tend to just duplicate errors etc.

All the time you end up putting into attempting to get it to run a bit better tend up being more than what it would take to start fresh, again, at least in my experience.
Maha Nadarasa

Reinstalling everything is a good option but it is a big task for a computer with many apps.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:59 am Reinstalling everything is a good option but it is a big task for a computer with many apps.
No question that it is, but in my experience it's the only real way to get realistic performance back especially if you're on a system that you have installed and uninstalled a lot of programs on.

On the bright side if you do this a couple times you'll start to be WAY more picky on what you install on your systems. :D
Ömür Tokman

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

deep freeze is great for this job.
So after I formatted the PC, I installed deep freez and everything was perfect for 5 years. (5 years later the boss bought a new pc).
I think it is more successful than the best antivirus. I would just deactivate it and update it for a few hours a week. I haven't had a blue screen, slowdown or negative situation for 5 years.
If you have the opportunity, I would definitely recommend it.

for an installed system.

Your uninstaller.
ClamWin ant..
ComboFix..
or
The cleaner, which is built into Windows 10, can clean unnecessary files on your system and free up space. To activate this cleaning tool, go to Settings> System> Storage and click on the 'Make space on the disk now' menu .
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
christian chu
Answers: 0

Unread post by christian chu »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:59 am Reinstalling everything is a good option but it is a big task for a computer with many apps.
reinstalling everything is not really a good option. Wipe out completely the local drive and reinstall the windows should be the way
Maha Nadarasa

@christian chu

Do you know how to reinstall windows?. Because I do not know. I have to get some to do this.
kawuser

Unread post by kawuser »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:12 pm @christian chu

Do you know how to reinstall windows?. Because I do not know. I have to get some to do this.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Maha Nadarasa

@kawuser

Did you have experience in doing like this?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:40 pm Do use any software, which can clean and run the computer fast? There are many software in the market I do not know which is effective for SWX.
What I find slows most computers down is the programs that add stuff to the Windows startup and to the right click contextual menus. Eventually your PC is loaded a tons of programs you may or may not need. And all of the right click stuff slows down the menu display.

I use Microsoft's "sysinternals" tools to remove stuff I don't want running.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... downloads/

This is a suite of tools but the one I use for this is called Autoruns.exe. Make sure you right click and run as admin.

The "Logon" tab allows you to see the programs in startup in several locations in the registry. If you aren't sure, just uncheck the box to disable, you can always enable back. You can delete if you are sure you don't want it. Sometimes removed programs leave entries and they show up yellow and say "file not found".

The "Explorer" tab can show you menu entries. These tend to get bloated as everyone seems to want to put stuff in your right click menu. Some you may want.....Winzip or 7zip entries, some you may not. Uncheck and try it on files, no restart required. There's different headings that cover right click on files or folders, backgrounds and desktop. Takes a bit of experimenting to figure our which is which.
Jason
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Like MJuric, I regularly reload my PC, starting with the OS. I've used "reset PC" without incident. I've also downloaded installation media from the PC manufactrer and directly from Microsoft.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:40 pm I do not know which is effective for SWX.
Non. The problem is SWX.

Program don't slow down computer unless they're running in the background.
So check which program is running on start up. Uninstall them.
SPARK_Bill

Unread post by SPARK_Bill »

Little late here, but couple of thoughts on subject.

Reloading OS is overkill. I build custom rigs to run SolidWorks. Have several more than 10 years old that started with Win 7 Pro and have been upgraded to Win 10 Pro. I find regular cleaning of junk files/programs and simple hardware upgrades is what keeps computers running their best. General outline of "cleaning" process.

-Keep Windows up to date.
-Remove/uninstall unused software.
-Use Windows Disk Cleanup to remove old Windows update downloads (can't revert to older Windows version after, but if you have to revert you have bigger problems)
-Use windows explorer to find and delete SolidWorks update files. In C:\\users\ search for "solidworks downloads" . Go to the solidworks downloads and delete update files. This frees up GBs of wasted drive space. Note: generally download complete installs of Solidworks XXXX SPX.X to common server and share them around office rather than using Solidworks update (since it doesn't work if you have a firewall, and keeps Solidworks from junking up your computer with GBs of update files).
-Use ACE utilities to remove junk files, clean registry, and limit programs that auto start at boot.

This is more or less order for "cleaning" computers. To improve performance/speed:

-If you are still using a hard drive clone it and replace with SSD. This will do more than all of above to speed up your computer.
-Pack (max GB motherboard will address) your computer with fastest memory your motherboard will run. If you do much with assemblies, 16GB -32GB is almost the minimum needed for memory sucking programs like SolidWorks.

There is always the atomic option reload OS and software, but once you load all the updates you're 90% back back to where you started. After installing OS and software with all the updates, you would be surprised the GBs of junk on the reloaded computer. Last step of any computer build and software install is a complete cleaning of registry and drive so reloading OS seems like an extra step.