"All Configurations" selection broken...

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
MJuric
Answers: 1

"All Configurations" selection broken...

Unread post by MJuric »

So I have run into this in multiple situations and on multiple occasions and each time the first thing I think is "Hmmm, I'm doing something wrong" then I move to "I know I did that" then "SW is completely broken again".

So on many many occasions I have set one of the many "apply to all configurations" and had it simply not work. The latest is the one in the picture below. I have tried changing that to "All configs" and "Select configs" and neither works. It simply ignores me and says "Apply to this config" for every config that I have.

I've run into this in the custom properties, component properties and just about anywhere else you have the option to apply something to "This", "All" or "specify". Even more painful is that in some cases "All" doesn't work but if I go in and specify and select all...well that works.

I'm wondering if;
A) Am I doing something horribly wrong?
B) Is this a typical "Known" issue
c) Is this a special piece of weirdness reserved for only my person hell?
image.png
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: "All Configurations" selection broken...

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

My default is "This config".
Do you "nest" your config?
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

I think you are misunderstanding the command, at least in this instance. The little indicator is to select what will happen when you execute the current command to change the configuration of the part. You are selecting whether the change will be applied to the current config, all configs or selected configs. This selection applies only to the command being executed. It does not persist into the future. It is a little bit clearer when you look at the the full Component Properties dialog:
image.png
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

May I suggest an alternative workflow? Instead of using that button choose "Configure component" from the right-click drop-down. That will open a simplified design table with a row for each configuration and a column where you can select the appropriate component configuration for each configuration in the assembly.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:53 pm May I suggest an alternative workflow? Instead of using that button choose "Configure component" from the right-click drop-down. That will open a simplified design table with a row for each configuration and a column where you can select the appropriate component configuration for each configuration in the assembly.
I do that with parts but in this case it was a toolbox fastener so that option isn't available. "Edit tool Box Part" which doesn't have a config option in it at all. so what I was doing was changing the TB part, then setting that to "All configurations" and...well, didn't work.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

JSculley wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:08 pm I think you are misunderstanding the command, at least in this instance. The little indicator is to select what will happen when you execute the current command to change the configuration of the part. You are selecting whether the change will be applied to the current config, all configs or selected configs. This selection applies only to the command being executed. It does not persist into the future. It is a little bit clearer when you look at the the full Component Properties dialog:
image.png
I think I'm expecting it expecting it to work exactly as you described and it's not, unless I'm also mis understanding you.

So the option is available when I change from an M12 to an M8 let's say. If I select "All configurations" what I think it should when I check the green check mark is change that fastener from an M12 to an M8 or from anything to an M8 in all configurations.

Instead of that happening, whether I select "All" or "Selected" it changes the configuration I'm in from an M12 to an M8, but has no effect on that item in any other other configurations.

Also as I've said I've done this exact thing in other cases and the "All" does nothing but if I select "Specify configurations" and select all the configurations it changes all the configurations.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

MJuric wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:09 pm I do that with parts but in this case it was a toolbox fastener so that option isn't available. "Edit tool Box Part" which doesn't have a config option in it at all. so what I was doing was changing the TB part, then setting that to "All configurations" and...well, didn't work.
Maybe this is a bug with TB parts? I don't use them.
Does same error reproduce when selecting non-TB parts similarly?
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Tom G wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:45 pm Maybe this is a bug with TB parts? I don't use them.
Does same error reproduce when selecting non-TB parts similarly?
I've had the same thing happen with pretty much all parts particularly here below. That's where I've had "Specify Configs" work and "All" not work.
image.png