$#!+ You made up

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
matt
Answers: 18

$#!+ You made up

Unread post by matt »

Sometimes you come up with a technique or a concept or a way of looking at things that is different from how other people seem to see it, and it's so good, you gotta put a name on it. How often do you do this? I just want to see what sort of wacked stuff you guys are thinking about during the day.

For example....

When dealing with master model type features, SolidWorks has 4 different functions for putting bodies or parts into other parts:

- Split
- Save Bodies
- Insert Part
- Insert Into New Part

For the purposes of trying to help people which to use in what situation, I grouped them into pushing functions and pulling functions. And eventually a chart.

And someone even wrote a blog article where they used a model from my book and a model from a class I wrote for SW. Because, you know, original stuff is hard.

https://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/2017/ ... nique.html
image.png
HerrTick
Answers: 1

Re: $#!+ You made up

Unread post by HerrTick »

"Domain expansion"

B-surfaces have a finite domain. If you need to add beyond that domain (e.g. offsetting adjacent faces), the attempt will fail.

Domain expansion is replacing a B-surface on a solid with a face with a larger domain.

Example: Use untrim to create a new surface, and maybe expand the surface using extend. Then use replace face to place the expanded surface definition on the solid.

(Feature names for untrim, extend, and replace face are similar across most CAD platforms.)
matt
Answers: 18

Re: $#!+ You made up

Unread post by matt »

HerrTick wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:33 pm "Domain expansion"

B-surfaces have a finite domain. If you need to add beyond that domain (e.g. offsetting adjacent faces), the attempt will fail.

Domain expansion is replacing a B-surface on a solid with a face with a larger domain.

Example: Use untrim to create a new surface, and maybe expand the surface using extend. Then use replace face to place the expanded surface definition on the solid.

(Feature names for untrim, extend, and replace face are similar across most CAD platforms.)
Yeah, that's good.
Solid Edge has a Redefine surface, where it extracts the U/V curves from an existing surface and lets you add to them to rebuild a larger domain (to borrow your term). This also allows you to get a parametric surface from an imported one.