"End Face Cannot Terminate Extrude Feature"?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Ballfreak10
Answers: 0

"End Face Cannot Terminate Extrude Feature"?

Unread post by Ballfreak10 »

Hi all,

So in the attached part file, I'm looking to use "SKETCH Top Piece_Arc Wall" to make an extrusion offset from a curved surface. The error in the attached screenshot pops up when I try to do so.

Any ideas? All help is appreciated :)!

Thanks in advance,

image.png
Attachments
Bottom.SLDPRT
(111.81 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
by matt » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:44 pm
Ballfreak10 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:41 pm 1.) When you say "extrude box", do you mean to just create an extrusion from a rectangular shape?
I mean take your original sketch and extrude it like this:
image.png
2.) I've never used the shell or groove tools (I'm still pretty new to SW, to be honest).
Ok, movie time:

3.) In what way would this cut be applied?

P.S. Thanks for being so helpful/thorough :)!
hope that helps
Go to full post
matt
Answers: 18

Re: "End Face Cannot Terminate Extrude Feature"?

Unread post by matt »

That error means that if you project the sketch onto the surface you selected, the sketch overlaps, outside the boundary of the surface, so the end condition is not really clear.
Ballfreak10

UPDATE MORNING 6/7:

I did some inspecting, and I'm now certain that the area of the selected surface totally encompasses that of the selected sketch.
This is the only cause of this error that I'm aware of, so I'm just not sure how to proceed...

P.S. I can't find an option to edit the post, sorry, lol.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

The reason it's not working is because the surface selected for "Cut Up To" is not planar. It does work when using Blind, Through All, or Up To Surface for an end condition. It's the offset that's giving you trouble.

If you check the "Translate Surface" box it will approximate the offset but it may not be the desired result since the software doesn't know which direction to measure. You could try creating an Offset Surface and cutting up to it.

With Solid Edge the solution is simple...... :mrgreen:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt

Unread post by matt »

You keep trying to do things the wrong way. I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but maybe a lip? SW has a Lip and Groove function. Also, you might consider using a swept cut.

The reason this offset won't work is that when you offset the face, the sketch doesn't project within the offset.
image.png
image.png (6.31 KiB) Viewed 10735 times
Ways to proceed:
- use the "translate surface
- you're probably meaning to include "reverse offset" to add a lip
image.png
- you could also eliminate the Cut Arc Wall feature and use a cut sweep instead

Also, you've got a zero thickness corner in here. Dude, you need some help. Do you have a teacher?
image.png
image.png (7.59 KiB) Viewed 10735 times
You could do this more simply and it works:
- extrude box
- shell
- add groove feature
- create bottom of curved lip as an extruded surface
- cut up to the surface

Plus, I gotta say, you have to learn to use tangent arcs for sketching. Both of your arcs were totally unconstrained. Keep working at it. You'll develop better instincts if you see how other people do some of this. Remember there are many ways to accomplish the same thing. Your job is to find the most efficient and most accurate way.
Attachments
image.png
Ballfreak10

UPDATE 6/8:

I tried selecting "Translate Surface" and got an error for zero-thickness geometry...
matt

Unread post by matt »

Ballfreak10 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:13 am UPDATE 6/8:

I tried selecting "Translate Surface" and got an error for zero-thickness geometry...
Yeah, I showed you where the zero thickness error is. Don't do it that way. Use the technique I showed you with the shell feature. Fewer features, more correct geometry, better workflow, less messing around with sketches.
Ballfreak10

matt wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:28 am Yeah, I showed you where the zero thickness error is. Don't do it that way. Use the technique I showed you with the shell feature. Fewer features, more correct geometry, better workflow, less messing around with sketches.
1.) When you say "extrude box", do you mean to just create an extrusion from a rectangular shape?

2.) I've never used the shell or groove tools (I'm still pretty new to SW, to be honest).

matt

Unread post by matt »

Ballfreak10 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:41 pm 1.) When you say "extrude box", do you mean to just create an extrusion from a rectangular shape?
I mean take your original sketch and extrude it like this:
image.png
Ok, movie time:

hope that helps
Ballfreak10

matt wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:44 pm I mean take your original sketch and extrude it like this:
image.png

Ok, movie time:

hope that helps
WOW, this was so overly helpful I just...I don't know what to say! Other than thank you, of course, haha!