XDesign - Has anyone tried it? (I haven't yet) Have they solved any fundamental bugs that still remain in SW Desktop.

Edu User Anon
Answers: 0

XDesign - Has anyone tried it? (I haven't yet) Have they solved any fundamental bugs that still remain in SW Desktop.

Unread post by Edu User Anon »

When I say fundamental bugs I'm thinking mainly of 2D sketching issues, like incomplete/inaccurate trimming, for example.

Has anyone here tried to 'stress test' the 2D sketching abilities of XDesign? I'd be interested to know your findings.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: XDesign - Has anyone tried it? (I haven't yet) Have they solved any fundamental bugs that still remain in SW Desktop

Unread post by jcapriotti »

You know, I'd love to try it but they don't exactly make it is easy. A free license for subscription customers might help sell the idea and get some much needed feedback. Are they afraid to let us see for fear of calling their baby ugly?

What 2d sketch issues do you see in desktop? Care to share a screenshot?
Jason
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: XDesign - Has anyone tried it? (I haven't yet) Have they solved any fundamental bugs that still remain in SW Desktop

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I sat in on a session using it at SW World in Dallas in 2016. It was only for a little while, but I remember it had a few features that made me think "Why don't we have this in Solidworks?"

I have since forgotten what those features were, but I remember liking them.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Edu User Anon

Unread post by Edu User Anon »

jcapriotti wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:57 am You know, I'd love to try it but they don't exactly make it is easy. A free license for subscription customers might help sell the idea and get some much needed feedback. Are they afraid to let us see for fear of calling their baby ugly?

What 2d sketch issues do you see in desktop? Care to share a screenshot?
Main issues for me would be the 2D sketching glitches. In particular, left-over straggly bits when trimming lines tangent to curves, that sort of thing.

Didn't know it wasn't freely available to subscription customers. It is available free with the Edu license, unless you mess it up like me and miss your 'application opportunity window' <()>
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:27 pm I sat in on a session using it at SW World in Dallas in 2016. It was only for a little while, but I remember it had a few features that made me think "Why don't we have this in Solidworks?"

I have since forgotten what those features were, but I remember liking them.
Yeah Glenn,
I saw a video that @Alin posted in the old forum. It was some direct editing you could do in XDesign that's not possible in SW. It seemed really nice. Then I demoed Solid Edge and it has that functionality out of the box. After that realization, it made me wonder the same thing, why isn't this part of SW?
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

mattpeneguy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:14 pm Yeah Glenn,
I saw a video that @Alin posted in the old forum. It was some direct editing you could do in XDesign that's not possible in SW. It seemed really nice. Then I demoed Solid Edge and it has that functionality out of the box. After that realization, it made me wonder the same thing, why isn't this part of SW?

..things that make you go.... hmmmmmmmm? grumph
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
jcapriotti

Because our hard earn subscription $$$ is going to Cloudworks instead. They could easily enhance some of the direct editing in SolidWorks. Maybe not like ST but make the existing tools better and smarter. Also, when dealing with imported geometry, give us an option to keep the direct edit features or just change the geometry.

They could also give us options to "break" some of the history relations on purpose to make edits. For example, let me Instant 3d edit and force move a feature and have it dangle the dimensions and relations. Then I can clean it up later while finishing the design.
Jason
mattpeneguy

jcapriotti wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:19 pm Because our hard earn subscription $$$ is going to Cloudworks instead. They could easily enhance some of the direct editing in SolidWorks. Maybe not like ST but make the existing tools better and smarter. Also, when dealing with imported geometry, give us an option to keep the direct edit features or just change the geometry.

They could also give us options to "break" some of the history relations on purpose to make edits. For example, let me Instant 3d edit and force move a feature and have it dangle the dimensions and relations. Then I can clean it up later while finishing the design.
@jcapriotti,
Look, it's not like this is professional CAD software we are paying thousands of dollars for, so what do you expect....
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

That video was made using the old Mechanical Conceptual. The xDesign does not have Direct Editing functionality. I am in the process of getting more information from SW R&D about the direction of developing it.

The good news is that I started to push xDesign a bit more than before and I keep finding all kind of nice surprises. If time permits, I will record a few new videos.

For example, a little gem I recently dug is the quick recognition and separation of fillets from imported geometry. Much better results and much more robust than the FeatureXpert from inside SW! :)
mattpeneguy

Alin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:23 am That video was made using the old Mechanical Conceptual. The xDesign does not have Direct Editing functionality. I am in the process of getting more information from SW R&D about the direction of developing it.

The good news is that I started to push xDesign a bit more than before and I keep finding all kind of nice surprises. If time permits, I will record a few new videos.

For example, a little gem I recently dug is the quick recognition and separation of fillets from imported geometry. Much better results and much more robust than the FeatureXpert from inside SW! :)
Alin,
Jeez everyone knows FeatureXpert is lacking, but rather than fix it in SW they add functionality to something else and make us pay to get it. As I posted above, once I test drove SE, it really made me disappointed that DS didn't add that direct editing functionality to SW.
If DS keeps up this attitude SE will displace SW. Have you tried SE recently? There are a lot of advancements that SW is playing catch up on (mouse gestures have over double the amount of tools available, drawing view cropping is amazing compared to SW, you're a large asm guy, did you know that SE doesn't have the 1km cube limitation? I created a 5 mile extrude to test it.). And SE has this really nice cross search capability. You can search for the SW tool and the SE equivalent will pop up.

Back to the point at hand about direct editing. What about:
https://www.engineersrule.com/impossibl ... t-editing/
Hey @matt, I'm curious how that may be handled in SE. Would it be easier? I'm not just curious about that one but the other "Impossible" challenges, too. I guess some things are kernel related, but if SE has better direct editing tools (and SE does), I'm curious if some of the inbuilt tools can handle some of these challenges better.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:49 am Back to the point at hand about direct editing. What about:
https://www.engineersrule.com/impossibl ... t-editing/
Hey @matt, I'm curious how that may be handled in SE. Would it be easier? I'm not just curious about that one but the other "Impossible" challenges, too. I guess some things are kernel related, but if SE has better direct editing tools (and SE does), I'm curious if some of the inbuilt tools can handle some of these challenges better.
In SE it would be about the same. The example of the visor is not really direct edit. SW adds history-based features each time you do one of these edits, so it's not really direct edit. Most accurately you might call it BREP editing.

Doing it in SE would be about the same, and you'd have to do it all in ordered mode. SE synchronous doesn't work on complex shapes (well, it does, but it doesn't do what you want it to do - you can use synchronous sketches in ordered features, which is a very cool combination, but doesn't help you in this situation). Delete Surface, untrim (extend), blue surf, boundary... SE also has this cool Redefine surface that helps you rebuild an imported surface with an editable ordered feature.

What WOULD be a lot easier would be to do this in subd. To get rid of the holes, you just delete a set of points and fill the holes. Better yet would be to do it in NX, honestly.
mattpeneguy

matt wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:12 pm In SE it would be about the same. The example of the visor is not really direct edit. SW adds history-based features each time you do one of these edits, so it's not really direct edit. Most accurately you might call it BREP editing.

Doing it in SE would be about the same, and you'd have to do it all in ordered mode. SE synchronous doesn't work on complex shapes (well, it does, but it doesn't do what you want it to do - you can use synchronous sketches in ordered features, which is a very cool combination, but doesn't help you in this situation). Delete Surface, untrim (extend), blue surf, boundary... SE also has this cool Redefine surface that helps you rebuild an imported surface with an editable ordered feature.

What WOULD be a lot easier would be to do this in subd. To get rid of the holes, you just delete a set of points and fill the holes. Better yet would be to do it in NX, honestly.
Thanks @matt. That makes perfect sense.
jcapriotti

Alin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:23 am For example, a little gem I recently dug is the quick recognition and separation of fillets from imported geometry. Much better results and much more robust than the FeatureXpert from inside SW! :)
This is so doable in DesktopWorks if they would just develop it. Inventor can do it, direct edit a filet radius. Dassault wants to force us to "Head in the cloud Works".
Jason
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:16 pm This is so doable in DesktopWorks if they would just develop it. Inventor can do it, direct edit a filet radius. Dassault wants to force us to "Head in the cloud Works".
For simple fillets, you can do that already in SW. Simply select a face and, from the context toolbar, select the Edit Feature icon. SW will separate the Fillet feature from the Imported feature.
xDesign just does it better on more complex fillets. Will demonstrate that in a video, soon.
jcapriotti

Alin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:29 pm For simple fillets, you can do that already in SW. Simply select a face and, from the context toolbar, select the Edit Feature icon. SW will separate the Fillet feature from the Imported feature.
xDesign just does it better on more complex fillets. Will demonstrate that in a video, soon.
Oh you dog SolidWorks :lol:
Jason
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Why do you guys keep acting surprised that SW is going play dirty to push you into SWv6/SW-in-the-cloud/CatiaLite or whatever they're calling it this week? Remember "when the pain is too great, they will change" or whatever? They didn't say they pain was going to be due to old age, did they? Did they guarantee they weren't going to intentionally inflict the pain? No. They didn't. So. Get used to it.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

matt wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:21 pm Why do you guys keep acting surprised that SW is going play dirty to push you into SWv6/SW-in-the-cloud/CatiaLite or whatever they're calling it this week? Remember "when the pain is too great, they will change" or whatever? They didn't say they pain was going to be due to old age, did they? Did they guarantee they weren't going to intentionally inflict the pain? No. They didn't. So. Get used to it.
It's that ex-girlfriend thang. :D
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
jcapriotti

matt wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:21 pm Why do you guys keep acting surprised that SW is going play dirty to push you into SWv6/SW-in-the-cloud/CatiaLite or whatever they're calling it this week? Remember "when the pain is too great, they will change" or whatever? They didn't say they pain was going to be due to old age, did they? Did they guarantee they weren't going to intentionally inflict the pain? No. They didn't. So. Get used to it.
Sometimes the pain is removed. They should be careful how much they twist the knife.
Jason
Imics13

Unread post by Imics13 »

Guys,

Just a short question.

What is the difference between 3D Experience Solidworks and 3D Experience Catia? It's not clear for me!
BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com