PDM Workflow setting Revision, How to Use Revision Variable

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
pkennedy
Answers: 0

PDM Workflow setting Revision, How to Use Revision Variable

Unread post by pkennedy »

I have a workflow set up, that after a file have been approved it sets a revision number of 00.

If we want to make a change it sends the file into the under change workflow and then when that is approved it increases the revision number 01, 02, etc.

The problem I run into is that I would like to have the revision symbol already added to the drawing prior to the approval happening however it references the existing revision number.

How I add it now is after the file is in the approved state I check the file out and add the symbol and re-check it back in. It adds another step/process is there any way to complete this prior to approving the drawing.

I've tried some testing, if I edit the text it changes the existing revision number in the table which won't work.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: PDM Workflow setting Revision, How to Use Revision Variable

Unread post by jcapriotti »

You can use a "Transition Action" to set the "Revision" variable only. That will push the next value to the variable on the data card and to the SolidWorks drawing/model if you have it mapped. Your "Under change" destination state must have your revision scheme selected with an "increment by" set.

Then on approval, you use the "Set Revision" transition action.
Jason
Brian-M
Answers: 1

Unread post by Brian-M »

Here is a good post related to this topic: https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2018/ ... -workflow/
I have used the change the revision variable on the data card method, and stamp it only at the final transition.

Personally I have found auto revision tables to be more trouble than they are worth. If your table is manual you can quickly and easily control what revision shows up on each row. I assume that's what your last sentence is about. The only feature I miss is centralized control of revision symbols scattered across drawings.
jcapriotti

Brian-M wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:38 am Here is a good post related to this topic: https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2018/ ... -workflow/
I have used the change the revision variable on the data card method, and stamp it only at the final transition.

Personally I have found auto revision tables to be more trouble than they are worth. If your table is manual you can quickly and easily control what revision shows up on each row. I assume that's what your last sentence is about. The only feature I miss is centralized control of revision symbols scattered across drawings.
Yeah, we did away with revision tables long ago. All revision information is in PDM, you can view each revision and see our comments regarding what changed.
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:08 pm Yeah, we did away with revision tables long ago. All revision information is in PDM, you can view each revision and see our comments regarding what changed.
So nobody outside the usage of PDM needs to see rev history? It's not on the print at all? Customers, Vendors, toolmakers, none of them see revision history?
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:00 pm So nobody outside the usage of PDM needs to see rev history? It's not on the print at all? Customers, Vendors, toolmakers, none of them see revision history?
Everyone internal has PDM. External we have comments in a document that could be sent if needed.
Jason
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:00 pm So nobody outside the usage of PDM needs to see rev history? It's not on the print at all? Customers, Vendors, toolmakers, none of them see revision history?
We handle this with a rolling revision table. The last three revs are on the drawing. For anything older, you either look at the file history, or do a 'Get Version' to pull up an earlier version of the document that shows the older revision table info.
jcapriotti

We document and describe all drawing and part changes in a Word document attached to the ECO. We also have redlined PDF markup files. Everyone downstream can get to these documents.

So all ECO changes have a picture (markup) and detailed description of the change.
Jason