SolidWorks PDM

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: Solidworks 2021 SP 4.0 is NO LONGER available

Unread post by jcapriotti »

matt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:04 pm "Archive server" meaning just straight CAD files? Are they at least renamed? Do users have a backdoor to access files on the "archive server"?
Here's an example. The file names are version numbers based in hexadecimal.
image.png
There is an xml that stores some version info. Not sure why they don't use the DB for this, maybe data integrity as most of this info is in the DB. Notice version 4 and 9 have a reference to 3 and 8. This was a datacard only version change so they don't copy the file and take up more space than needed.
image.png
matt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:04 pm his is marginally better than PDMWorks, but only by a little.

So what is real PDM in SW land these days? Enovia? SmarTeam?
Way better than than PDM/Works workgroup, which had no db and very limited functionality.

This is real PDM and is the primary application from SolidWorks. Smarteam is no longer sold. Enovia is 3dexperience rebranded. Of course Dassault would love everyone to go to 3dx but most companies don't want or need it.
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:48 pm Have I said how happy I am that all our files are saved in File Explorer, with no PDM (generic or company name)?
PDM, general term, has it's places where it's a necessary evil. In short, it was the reason we switched to Solidworks. If Solid Edge would have had a PDM (not TeamCenter PLM) we would still be using SE. We needed a couple things; specifically, version control and revision enforcement. Ironically, versions and revisions give me the most grief. :roll:

Yeah, yeah, Solid Edge had a PDMish solution, it was based on Sharepoint, but when sharepoint community went away so did that solution leaving those user high and dry. They now have what's called BiDM Built in Data Management, but it hinges on Windows File Indexing and is limited beyond that as well.
Diaval
Answers: 7

Unread post by Diaval »

bnemec wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:58 pm I did not know that it was the last hex digit in the docID that determined which folder they went into. I did notice that they were not evenly loaded (disk space), this would explain why.
The archive folder is the hex converted DocumnetID number and is organized by the last number in the hex number.

You can also reverse the process of using the archive folder hex number converted into a decimal number to find the DocumentID for any file in the archive.
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation
matt
Answers: 18

Re: SolidWorks PDM

Unread post by matt »

Ok, one more question. Does - let's just call it Conisio - allow multiple "archive servers" as you are calling them? The marketing movies keep talking about multiple global locations, so this sounds like multiple "archive servers" for the managed data.

And then I'm assuming there is only one db, or a single db with multiple replicated instances.

SmarTeam, just for reference, uh, jeez. Just when I thought things couldn't get more convoluted... it turns out that SmarTeam is now a brand under Enovia. So I'm going to guess that SmarTeam is the real PDM you can install locally on your own server, and Enovia is the cloud-based PDM. The DS site is saying SmarTeam is the small-medium company tool, while Enovia is for the big boys.

I went to training on SmarTeam on a yacht in Boston harbor back in 1997? I think. Is that right? Was that training or a party? Those days get a little blurry. Anyway, they were a small company. That's where Joy Pineau came from. ("Who?" they all say?) Sigh. They developed into the main serious PDM for Solidworks, and one of the early Gold Partners. I guess they've been bought by DS.
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:58 pm Here's an example. The file names are version numbers based in hexadecimal.
It keeps the file extensions? Even PDMWorks didn't do that. This is kind of lame, from an admin/security point of view. People got forced onto this after Workgroup (PDMW) went defunct? I remember hearing that nobody was really happy about that.

Anyway. Thanks for the info.

There must be another product that serious PDM customers moved to, I can't see folks being too happy with this.
Diaval

Unread post by Diaval »

matt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:08 pm Ok, one more question. Does - let's just call it Conisio - allow multiple "archive servers" as you are calling them? The marketing movies keep talking about multiple global locations, so this sounds like multiple "archive servers" for the managed data.
Yes, "Conisio" has the ability to setup multiple replicated archive servers to keep data "local" to offices in different physical locations. It allows for setting up automated replication of designated folders in the file vault but on demand replication will replicate any file to any archive server in the system if a specific file version is requested by a user.
And then I'm assuming there is only one db, or a single db with multiple replicated instances.
There is only one writeable DB. There is the ability to add read only replicated databases in multiple locations to help performance.

Hm.. didn't realize SmartTeam was now an Enovia product.

I'm pretty sure that Enovia is the backend for the 3DS Platform stuff.

And sorry for the double post above. The site was telling me the post hadn't worked so I tried it a second time.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Diaval wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:18 pm Yes, "Conisio" has the ability to setup multiple replicated archive servers to keep data "local" to offices in different physical locations. It allows for setting up automated replication of designated folders in the file vault but on demand replication will replicate any file to any archive server in the system if a specific file version is requested by a user.

There is only one writeable DB. There is the ability to add read only replicated databases in multiple locations to help performance.

Hm.. didn't realize SmartTeam was now an Enovia product.

I'm pretty sure that Enovia is the backend for the 3DS Platform stuff.

And sorry for the double post above. The site was telling me the post hadn't worked so I tried it a second time.
@Diaval thanks for the clarification, but that implementation is kind of a sloppy mess. They should at least remove or change the extensions. That is just a temptation or a target for people who get curious. It's now coming back to me why we rejected Conisio.

I think you're right about Enovia.
I took care of the double post.
Diaval

Unread post by Diaval »

matt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:30 pm ...They should at least remove or change the extensions. That is just a temptation or a target for people who get curious.
No one but Administrators would be able to see that the archives use file extensions on the versions. I'm not sure it would be any more secure by removing the extensions. If a user has physical access to the archive server, i'm not sure that not having the file extension will slow them down much. That information is also in the index.xml file kept with the file versions.
mike miller

Unread post by mike miller »

Here's what our IT guy told me. Any product that requires only SQL Express uses the SQL database for indexing and stores the actual files in a folder (or folders). A higher license level of SQL (minimum of Standard) is needed for storing the files themselves inside of a database; at least if you have any appreciable amount of files. This is what differentiates the low-mid level PDMs from the higher level PDMs.

Solidworks PDM attempts to straddle this with PDM Standard and PDM Professional. Standard uses SQL Express and Pro uses SQL Standard. It's another case-in-point of "you get what you pay for".

EDIT: Here is a screenshot from Goengineer's website.
2021-06-22 15_23_29.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt

Unread post by matt »

Diaval wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:03 pm No one but Administrators would be able to see that the archives use file extensions on the versions. I'm not sure it would be any more secure by removing the extensions. If a user has physical access to the archive server, i'm not sure that not having the file extension will slow them down much. That information is also in the index.xml file kept with the file versions.
I just never like to tempt people. If they don't know what it is, they might leave it alone. But if they think they know what it is, they might attempt a "rescue". I did an implementation once that had some half-clever unbelievers, and they would try to get around the system any chance they had.

And then they might talk their IT buddy into giving them access... There's always a way to screw up a fool-proof system.

Anyway, thanks for all the information.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

matt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:30 pm @Diaval thanks for the clarification, but that implementation is kind of a sloppy mess. They should at least remove or change the extensions. That is just a temptation or a target for people who get curious. It's now coming back to me why we rejected Conisio.

I think you're right about Enovia.
The user can't see the file archive location, it's not a shared location and is only available on the server. The users only see their local cache which has user defined folders structure and the "normal" file names. Even if the file isn't cached, they somehow do some Windows magic and display it.

Regarding Smarteam, I don't believe you can buy it anymore. Could be wrong, the website shows it like it's a product. From what I remember, it was a slight step up from PDM Pro. Now with "Manage", I'm not so sure.

'Manage' adds BOM/item management that doesn't rely on CAD data, although it can. It also has ECOs (Processes), project management with tasks, and some dashboard reporting. So it's bridging the PLM side some.
Jason