SOLIDWORKS 2022 BETA

SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: SOLIDWORKS 2022 BETA

Unread post by SPerman »

I think there are 2 problems.

1. They don't test enough
2. Most of the bugs they find, they don't worry about.

How many bugs have been on the books for years, with no resolution?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

SPerman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:23 am I think there are 2 problems.

1. They don't test enough
2. Most of the bugs they find, they don't worry about.

How many bugs have been on the books for years, with no resolution?
Do you know how long it's been since this has changed?

NEVER. That's the last time it changed. This has always been the truth.

If they waited for a perfect release, we'd still be waiting on SW95. Everything has a risk level associated with it. I'm not sure if the risk is to them or to customer's data or just the customer's money. The risk level assigns a priority.

I wish they were more transparent about stuff like this, because it seems every few years you have to re-educate the new class of SW users. But I guess everyone has to go through this process of gradual disillusionment. The more of your illusions are busted, the more cynical you get, and this is (not coincidentally) the same as what some people call "aging". So remember when someone yells at you to get off their lawn, it's just because they're really smart. :lol:

Some bugs are "fixed" by being obsoleted, some are really fixed, others get half fixed or ignored. I've had bugs fixed by removing the functionality, which is the most annoying.

But, yes, it's fun to watch you all go through this discovery as if it's something new.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

matt wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:50 pm Do you know how long it's been since this has changed?

NEVER. That's the last time it changed. This has always been the truth.

If they waited for a perfect release, we'd still be waiting on SW95. Everything has a risk level associated with it. I'm not sure if the risk is to them or to customer's data or just the customer's money. The risk level assigns a priority.

I wish they were more transparent about stuff like this, because it seems every few years you have to re-educate the new class of SW users. But I guess everyone has to go through this process of gradual disillusionment. The more of your illusions are busted, the more cynical you get, and this is (not coincidentally) the same as what some people call "aging". So remember when someone yells at you to get off their lawn, it's just because they're really smart. :lol:

Some bugs are "fixed" by being obsoleted, some are really fixed, others get half fixed or ignored. I've had bugs fixed by removing the functionality, which is the most annoying.

But, yes, it's fun to watch you all go through this discovery as if it's something new.
While there is never such a thing as a "Perfect release" SW is near the worst I have ever seen for bug issues and not repairing bugs. Having a mistake get out is one thing. Breaking stuff that has worked for years and plain old not even attempting to fix other known bugs for years is an entirely different matter. I've used similarly complex software with a much smaller user base where the response to bugs was better and in some cases significantly better.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

The worse for me is ATI graphic drivers. New patch fix 2 bugs, get 5 new one and bring back 4 old one.
I do believe they're hired to program SW.

And they got similar name: 3DXpression.
Or 3DNoXpression because over half of the 3D functions are not available.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

MJuric wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:27 pm While there is never such a thing as a "Perfect release" SW is near the worst I have ever seen for bug issues and not repairing bugs. Having a mistake get out is one thing. Breaking stuff that has worked for years and plain old not even attempting to fix other known bugs for years is an entirely different matter. I've used similarly complex software with a much smaller user base where the response to bugs was better and in some cases significantly better.
You took the words out of my mouth. And while SW is terrible, I do think this is the direction the entire software industry is trending.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:52 pm The worse for me is ATI graphic drivers. New patch fix 2 bugs, get 5 new one and bring back 4 old one.
I do believe they're hired to program SW.

And they got similar name: 3DXpression.
Or 3DNoXpression because over half of the 3D functions are not available.
Worst one I ever had was an error in a graphics driver as well. It was a Swan video card in the early 90's. Was working along and then poof, screen goes black and computer shuts down. Go to reboot, nada, nothing. Booted from a disk looked at the HD....it's empty, nothing there, gone.

No idea what happened. Spent the day re-installing getting back up and running and everything is fine. Week later...same thing, all gone.

Redo it all again and this time decide to install bare minimums and run at bare minimums. Works fine, no issues for a couple weeks...but the resolution set so low was killing me. Turned up the resolution...poof, all gone again. Called the video card company and yep, graphics driver issue.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

SPerman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:41 pm You took the words out of my mouth. And while SW is terrible, I do think this is the direction the entire software industry is trending.
This is the direction everything is taking. Everyone just throws their S%^& over the fence and expects you to pay for it. Appliances, cars, etc etc etc. Most are throw away items these days and many of them last a fraction of the time that older stuff did, some of it just barely works from day one.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

And if you buy something "refurbished" it means they just stuck the defective item back in stock.
-
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

MJuric wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:27 pm While there is never such a thing as a "Perfect release" SW is near the worst I have ever seen for bug issues and not repairing bugs. Having a mistake get out is one thing. Breaking stuff that has worked for years and plain old not even attempting to fix other known bugs for years is an entirely different matter. I've used similarly complex software with a much smaller user base where the response to bugs was better and in some cases significantly better.
Maybe less users means less bugs reported and thus they get worked on as there are fewer to weed thru. :twisted:
Jason
FMAAID
Answers: 0

Unread post by FMAAID »

Do they have a place where you can see all the bugs that are currently in all versions of SW?

For example it would say solidworks 2018 sp5 has these 50 known bugs. solidworks 2019 sp5 has these known bugs etc
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Yes, do a search in the wonderful SPR page.
The SwYmP is modeled after that and got more disruptive.
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

FMAAID wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:46 pm
For example it would say solidworks 2018 sp5 has these 50 known bugs.
50??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:08 pmDouble Beta
I think it would have to be: Beta Beta
FMAAID
Answers: 0

Unread post by FMAAID »

Uncle_Hairball wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:33 pm 50??? :lol: :lol: :lol: