Does anyone actually use 3DExperience in a productive manner?

mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience? Still waiting.......

Unread post by mike miller »

SPerman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:34 am And yet, despite that difficulty, you are still going to that site, feeding their click count.
I go there for two reasons.

1) Digging up old forum threads, even if it makes me puke in my mouth a bit. grumph

2) Posting links to this site, like any good evangelist would do. :lol:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

bnemec wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:21 am Typical symptoms of unchecked feature bloat. Nobody or the the wrong body overseeing the project. All the gizmos and widgets went completely out of control and created a monstrosity that is so unpredictable nobody understands what it does or how it's going to behave. Can you imagine what a complete test case plan would look like for the SWYM? I can only assume it was not done.

Do they realize the SWYM is what people see of the 3DExperience? The SWYM is what sets precedence of the perception of how all they other apps will be like in the platform. Why would anyone buy that is beyond me.

Cannot put enough emphasis on this.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

Actually, I'm also still waiting. This thread is 13 pages long now. I have tried to keep up with it, merely out of schadenfreude. Maybe I missed it, but has anyone chimed in about using the 3DEx products, and not merely the SWYMp which is more duplicitously both its user interface as well as its forum interface. I hear a lot about SWYM. That's ok as it is. This joke doesn't seem to get old.

WHO uses the software within the 3DEx?
Do VARS even release numbers of, I don't know, how many of this sold and how many of that sold?
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

bnemec wrote: ↑Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:21 am
Typical symptoms of unchecked feature bloat. Nobody or the the wrong body overseeing the project. All the gizmos and widgets went completely out of control and created a monstrosity that is so unpredictable nobody understands what it does or how it's going to behave. Can you imagine what a complete test case plan would look like for the SWYM? I can only assume it was not done.

Do they realize the SWYM is what people see of the 3DExperience? The SWYM is what sets precedence of the perception of how all they other apps will be like in the platform. Why would anyone buy that is beyond me.
AlexLachance wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:54 am [/u][/b]
Cannot put enough emphasis on this.
FTFY...
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:58 pm bnemec wrote: ↑Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:21 am
Typical symptoms of unchecked feature bloat. Nobody or the the wrong body overseeing the project. All the gizmos and widgets went completely out of control and created a monstrosity that is so unpredictable nobody understands what it does or how it's going to behave. Can you imagine what a complete test case plan would look like for the SWYM? I can only assume it was not done.

They sell to C-level executives who would never look at the actual application. That's their sales strategy. It's like PTC in the 90's, when the users and their managers don't buy into your sales pitch, you move up the chain and pitch to the CEO about how the end users don't know what they're talking about, that's why you make 100x what they do, to make the 'smart' decisions (Commence executive ego stroking)
Jason
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:04 pm They sell to C-level executives who would never look at the actual application. That's their sales strategy. It's like PTC in the 90's, when the users and their managers don't buy into your sales pitch, you move up the chain and pitch to the CEO about how the end users don't know what they're talking about, that's why you make 100x what they do, to make the 'smart' decisions (Commence executive ego stroking)
We had this painful experience from PTC at a company I worked for in '94. They talked the senior management into buying $60k worth of software when all we needed and used was only $42k. They dumped all over the engineering group and pi$$ed us off. A few years later in 1999 I went to work for another company that already had several seats of Pro\Eh. We did a clean sheet evaluation of our CAD needs and the products out there. We looked at SolidEdge, IronCAD, ADESK (they actually suggested we needed BOTH Inventor and Mechanical Desktop), and SWX in addition to the Pro\Eh we already had. My boss and I put the PTC guys on notice that if they talked with ANYONE at our company other than the two of us that we would not only throw them out of consideration, but would also cancel our current subscription. It worked because they behaved.

We quickly determined that ADESK wasn't yet capable, nor was IronCAD. SolidEdge did not really even try so they eliminated themselves. We ended up buying SWX for less than our maintenance of Pro\Eh. We were able to get more done quicker because our engineers used the software themselves rather than having to work over the shoulder of techs that had been trained in Pro\Eh.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Jim Steinmeyer

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

Kind of like Tom I would like to know if anyone is using the 3DExperiance software. If there is much / any benefit to it. I like the concept of not having to fight with my IT department / computer salesman to get a machine capable of running SW efficiently but with our unreliable internet I am not sold on the idea of running remote software. All the rest of the collaboration BS I keep hearing about is really sort of a meh to me and I see no advantage other than getting to use new buzzwords.
mattpeneguy

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:16 am Kind of like Tom I would like to know if anyone is using the 3DExperiance software. If there is much / any benefit to it. I like the concept of not having to fight with my IT department / computer salesman to get a machine capable of running SW efficiently but with our unreliable internet I am not sold on the idea of running remote software. All the rest of the collaboration BS I keep hearing about is really sort of a meh to me and I see no advantage other than getting to use new buzzwords.
What if at the end of all of this we discover that is the only point of the system?
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:16 am Kind of like Tom I would like to know if anyone is using the 3DExperiance software. If there is much / any benefit to it. I like the concept of not having to fight with my IT department / computer salesman to get a machine capable of running SW efficiently but with our unreliable internet I am not sold on the idea of running remote software. All the rest of the collaboration BS I keep hearing about is really sort of a meh to me and I see no advantage other than getting to use new buzzwords.
3DE aside I like the idea of a more collaborative system. The advantages of this have really been highlighted during the pandemic. Being able to brainstorm, discuss issues with pictures, pointers and models at any time without even leaving your seat is a significant productivity improver. There's a whole lot of advantages to it on many levels, at least in my opinion.

The entire cloud thing is going to be situational and to some degree dependent on who's controlling the cloud and what the conditions are on the data. Companies with a lot of proprietary data aren't going to want to be "Held hostage" by having their data unavailable and unusable because "Well you're subscription is up".

On the other hand all the other headaches of equipment, set up, installation, upgrades and so on vanish.

I honestly don't see security as a major hurdle but still some companies in some contracts can't use cloud storage, at least at this time. My guess is that a properly administered cloud storage system is likely more secure than your average medium sized company.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Amazon and Google has different cloud system.
Amazon AWS is pretty good, I believe.
As long as data is encrypted on site and when transmitted, it would be good.
Jim Steinmeyer

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:17 pm Amazon and Google has different cloud system.
Amazon AWS is pretty good, I believe.
As long as data is encrypted on site and when transmitted, it would be good.
So, does 3DE have a good encryption feature each time you save or edit your parts/drawings?
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

MJuric wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:07 pm 3DE aside I like the idea of a more collaborative system. The advantages of this have really been highlighted during the pandemic. Being able to brainstorm, discuss issues with pictures, pointers and models at any time without even leaving your seat is a significant productivity improver. There's a whole lot of advantages to it on many levels, at least in my opinion.

The entire cloud thing is going to be situational and to some degree dependent on who's controlling the cloud and what the conditions are on the data. Companies with a lot of proprietary data aren't going to want to be "Held hostage" by having their data unavailable and unusable because "Well you're subscription is up".

On the other hand all the other headaches of equipment, set up, installation, upgrades and so on vanish.

I honestly don't see security as a major hurdle but still some companies in some contracts can't use cloud storage, at least at this time. My guess is that a properly administered cloud storage system is likely more secure than your average medium sized company.
The collaboration capabilities inherent in Onshape are what attracted me to it. You can even have multiple people from across the word effectively driving the same mouse pointer at the same time. Now that is real-time collaboration. I only have the free account and have only gone through a portion of their excellent tutorials, but I am very impressed with it so far.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
mattpeneguy

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:26 pm So, does 3DE have a good encryption feature each time you save or edit your parts/drawings?
Do they have anything else over there that works right?
Frederick_Law

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:26 pm So, does 3DE have a good encryption feature each time you save or edit your parts/drawings?
I won't trust them that far.
mattpeneguy

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:37 pm I won't trust them that far.
All of the UX fixes they've implemented over there hasn't gained your trust yet?...They'll fix them any day now...I promise...
mattpeneguy

At some point maybe the French company that is Dassault should just raise this flag for the platform and call it quits:
image.png
image.png (63.38 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
jcapriotti

DennisD wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:30 pm The collaboration capabilities inherent in Onshape are what attracted me to it. You can even have multiple people from across the word effectively driving the same mouse pointer at the same time. Now that is real-time collaboration. I only have the free account and have only gone through a portion of their excellent tutorials, but I am very impressed with it so far.
I've searched but don't see the same capabilities in 3dx. Besides running SolidWorks in a browser, I don't see much more collaborative capabilities compared to what we already do with SolidWorks and PDM. People all over the world can checkout and work on different parts of an assembly at the same time, there is feedback that shows you when your cache is out of date. It could be better if they put more effort into it, but they concentrate on 3dx instead.

Just like they say "In xdesign, there is only one extrude command instead of several". Come on, they could do this in desktop if they really wanted. You can already change an extrude to extrude cut and back with Instant 3d so I know its possible.
Jason
mike miller

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:45 pm At some point maybe the French company that is Dassault should just raise this flag for the platform and call it quits:
image.png
Did you know that France almost lost WWII after the Germans bombed their white flag factory?
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

DennisD wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:30 pm The collaboration capabilities inherent in Onshape are what attracted me to it. You can even have multiple people from across the word effectively driving the same mouse pointer at the same time. Now that is real-time collaboration. I only have the free account and have only gone through a portion of their excellent tutorials, but I am very impressed with it so far.
I agree and think that it will be that kind of collaboration that will be what we end up moving too.
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

Anyone else astounded by how many spam posts there are on 3DSwym with links to random, presumably hostile websites?
image.png
Although the response to this question was almost believable as a real answer! If the spammers learn to use uppercase surnames then they might just start getting away with it.
image.png
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

dave.laban wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:09 am Anyone else astounded by how many spam posts there are on 3DSwym with links to random, presumably hostile websites?

image.png

Although the response to this question was almost believable as a real answer! If the spammers learn to use uppercase surnames then they might just start getting away with it.

image.png
I saw your post over there and I was assuming you were talking about Frederick ;;
Frederick_Law

I'm a troll, not a spammer.
jcapriotti

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:38 am I'm a troll, not a spammer.
A troll is not necessarily a spammer but a spammer is always a troll.
Jason
Frederick_Law

Not really, unless spammer only spam a certain user's post.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Hypothetically speaking, if someone were to past this over there, would it be trolling, spamming or just rude?
image.png
Diaval

Unread post by Diaval »

I noticed they are starting to resort to highlighting questions that haven't been answered yet in a new sticky post at the top since the questions have already scrolled off the cliff.
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Diaval wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:03 pm I noticed they are starting to resort to highlighting questions that haven't been answered yet in a new sticky post at the top since the questions have already scrolled off the cliff.
I was going to be a smart @ss and say something like "Those probably would have been answered if posts didn't scroll off the front page in a half dozen posts"....but I didn't.
AlexLachance

MJuric wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:52 pm I was going to be a smart @ss and say something like "Those probably would have been answered if posts didn't scroll off the front page in a half dozen posts"....but I didn't.
I left my weekly dose of snarkiness
image.png
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:23 pm I left my weekly dose of snarkiness

image.png
I actually think there should be DS or at least VAR employees there. Maybe they just don't know the answers :D
jcapriotti

MJuric wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:52 pm I was going to be a smart @ss and say something like "Those probably would have been answered if posts didn't scroll off the front page in a half dozen posts"....but I didn't.
I imagine it ending up like in one of those disaster movies where there is a bulletin board of people looking for friends and family but can't find them.
image.png
Jason
Diaval

Unread post by Diaval »

MJuric wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:52 pm I actually think there should be DS or at least VAR employees there. Maybe they just don't know the answers :D
Or when they do go there they can't find the questions like everyone else.
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Where is the 500 R&D and expert?
That irony when we need a "Question Highlight" instead of just allowing user to bump their own post...
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Frederick_Law

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:16 am Where is the 500 R&D and expert?
That irony when we need a "Question Highlight" instead of just allowing user to bump their own post...
And how to decide which post to bump?
just random pick?
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:22 am And how to decide which post to bump?
just random pick?
Good question...

I wont be surprise if in future they introduce 3DSWYMP membership
Benefits: Our CAD R&D will "Highlight" your question instead of answering them
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Frederick_Law

Yes, "Sponsored" post.
Pay extra to get popup banners.
Like those all browser are blocking but will start to work again in the "Platform".
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:05 am Yes, "Sponsored" post.
Pay extra to get popup banners.
Like those all browser are blocking but will start to work again in the "Platform".
And the next thing you notice... the banner is not loading properly :D
mattpeneguy

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:19 pm I imagine it ending up like in one of those disaster movies where there is a bulletin board of people looking for friends and family but can't find them.
image.png
image.png (344.35 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
This is almost a good representation of the platform. The most accurate would be if all the post it notes were in a single column, many miles long...
mattpeneguy

image.png
mike miller

mattpeneguy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:18 am This is almost a good representation of the platform. The most accurate would be if all the post it notes were in a single column, many miles long...
And pockmarked randomly with irrelevant posts that aren't in the correct community because the author doesn't know how and the "manager" can't or won't move them....
AlexLachance

mike miller wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:59 pm And pockmarked randomly with irrelevant posts that aren't in the correct community because the author doesn't know how and the "manager" can't or won't move them....
"Not my community, not my job"
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:16 am Where is the 500 R&D and expert?
image.png
Revisit it today and seem that this post got unpinned...
Did any of the highlighted question get answered?
Frederick_Law

Because its getting unwanted attention.
mattpeneguy

I couldn't help myself:
image.png
I'm going to get banned one of these days...
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I have never seen text that needed to be purple more than this does.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:49 am I have never seen text that needed to be purple more than this does.

image.png
image.png (158.54 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
@Glenn Schroeder, this is BRILLIANT!!
- - -Randy Pausch
mattpeneguy

DennisD wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:11 am
image.png
image.png (158.54 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
@Glenn Schroeder, this is BRILLIANT!!
Hold on...That depends on what your definition of better is...
Lapuo

Unread post by Lapuo »

I logged in today (after some time) to see if there were any changes
I managed to comment on one post without any problems , and i managed to like some comments as well
I did not manage to do anything else which i wanted , and i logged out
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

They finally fix their UI.... at least for discussion/question, all reply is on the bottom
image.png
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Spot the difference....
image.png
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Seem like they finally release some changes after all these months
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... 8H3nCaMC1g

Note: The GIF in the post is in terrible resolution
image.png