SOLIDWORKS pet peeves

SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: SOLIDWORKS pet peeves

Unread post by SPerman »

When working on a part, inside of an assembly, Solidworks ALWAYS picks an external reference. For example, if drawing a circle on the face of the part I am editing, it could reference the origin of the part I'm working on, or it could reference the origin of the assembly. Picking the origin of the part would mean no external reference, but SW will pick the origin of the assembly, requiring me to open the part and correct those external references.

I know it is possible to turn off the creation of external references. I don't want that, I use it regularly. I just want, if given the option, for SW to pick the local reference over the external one.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

SPerman wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:40 pm When working on a part, inside of an assembly, Solidworks ALWAYS picks an external reference. For example, if drawing a circle on the face of the part I am editing, it could reference the origin of the part I'm working on, or it could reference the origin of the assembly. Picking the origin of the part would mean no external reference, but SW will pick the origin of the assembly, requiring me to open the part and correct those external references.

I know it is possible to turn off the creation of external references. I don't want that, I use it regularly. I just want, if given the option, for SW to pick the local reference over the external one.
Yes, I have taken to selecting from the tree instead of selecting from the graphics window when things are close together/overlapping.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:40 pm When working on a part, inside of an assembly, Solidworks ALWAYS picks an external reference. For example, if drawing a circle on the face of the part I am editing, it could reference the origin of the part I'm working on, or it could reference the origin of the assembly. Picking the origin of the part would mean no external reference, but SW will pick the origin of the assembly, requiring me to open the part and correct those external references.

We don't keep external refs very long as they destroy file management, but we tried using weld beads in assembly models and I'm guessing you haven't or you would say it ALWAYS selects weld beads, even when viewport is set to not display them!

The selection concept in Solidworks is backwards and fundamentally flawed with decades of workaround and band-aids instead of just fixing it.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

bnemec wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 9:59 am We don't keep external refs very long as they destroy file management, but we tried using weld beads in assembly models and I'm guessing you haven't or you would say it ALWAYS selects weld beads, even when viewport is set to not display them!

The selection concept in Solidworks is backwards and fundamentally flawed with decades of workaround and band-aids instead of just fixing it.
I always break external references after created. I frequently use the assembly to locate mounting holes, and then go into the part, delete those relations and constrain it locally.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams