Tips for Going off Subscription?

Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Tips for Going off Subscription?

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

mp3-250 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:45 pm I want say that it is not going to end well for medium sized company with PDM as SW PDM and their cloud thing are not even compatible...
You gotta break it before you can fixit.
DS still in the breaking phase.
Brian-M
Answers: 1

Unread post by Brian-M »

@mp3-250 Is the idea it's a priority to ditch parasolid based on anything? Siemens licenses that to a lot of companies, and it sounds like speculation that Solidworks would depart from that long held standard.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Brian-M wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:44 pm it sounds like speculation that Solidworks would depart from that long held standard.
You really don't get it, do you? Hey, would you go borrow some money for me? I promise I'll pay you back. Yeah, 2, 3 million should be plenty. I'll pay you back tomorrow. I'm totally trustworthy. I promise.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

Brian-M wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:44 pm @mp3-250 Is the idea it's a priority to ditch parasolid based on anything? Siemens licenses that to a lot of companies, and it sounds like speculation that Solidworks would depart from that long held standard.
It is my educated guess based on hard facts.

fact 1 DS is trying to milk money from us in every possible way.

fact 2 SW was developed before the acquisition form DS. SW developers decided to pay royalties instead of develop their engine and tools from scratch. the royalty owner (Siemens) is a competitor of DS on both plm-pdm (team center engineering or whatever is called nowadays) and cad (NX-Soliedge) platforms.
let alone siemens aquired mentor graphics which is used inside SW simulation... so more royalty money for them.

fact 3 DS is pouring a lot of money and resources on a platform that overlaps SW and PDM, but it uses different data structures and is not yet compatible with SW.

If I had to make some forecast I would say that lowering costs and increase ROI from thier platform is a logical strategy.
It is not possible in the short therm so they start forcing new customers on the platform, then the smallest legacy customers, then the middle one and in the end the big customers with a lot of legacy data.

small customers could move their data to a SW competitor with a relative small damage (for DS)and quickly compared to a bigger customer.

this is why we need a contingency plan to move away from DS in the worst case scenario.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_modeling_kernel
ACIS is developed and licensed by Spatial Corporation of Dassault Systèmes.
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

mp3-250 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:45 pm This is why SW has apparently 2 kernels (PARASOLID and ACIS) that can be activated inside the registry.
Can't say I've heard this before. I know there was another software that employed both kernels, but have not heard that with SolidWorks...
ALCAD
Answers: 0

Unread post by ALCAD »

The original pre launch version of SolidWorks was based on ACIS, then they pretty quickly switched to Parasolid due to issues with how ACIS handled certain geomtry back then, parasolid was just better atleast at the time.

so I believe it is just that legacy registry entries you are seeing it’s been there as long as I can remember. Despite all the FUD from the likes of Siemens resellers etc I don’t think there have ever been serious plans to switch it’s so hard you might as well start from scratch.

As has happened with the lack of compatibility between Catia V5 and V6 etc I suspect the plan is just to have the cloud apps like xdesign based on CGM (not ACIS) develop to become a credible option. If they Get to a point where they are capable enough for people to switch and leave SolidWorks as legacy rather than changing its kernel. But well there are still plenty of Catia v5 licenses in use and new licenses being sold we will still be talking about the death of solidworks in a decade as we were in 2010 etc.
Brian-M
Answers: 1

Unread post by Brian-M »

matt wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:51 pm You really don't get it, do you?
a) That's harsh Matt.
b) Why would I know everything about CAD kernels? I asked a question.
(How much does Siemens charge to license parasolid anyway?)

c) Still sounds like speculation, probably based on some real negatives of what 3DS has done in other situations.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Brian-M wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:31 pm a) That's harsh Matt.
b) Why would I know everything about CAD kernels? I asked a question.
(How much does Siemens charge to license parasolid anyway?)

c) Still sounds like speculation, probably based on some real negatives of what 3DS has done in other situations.
Honestly sorry you think thats harsh. Anyone who expects DS to do nice things for SW users at this point is __________. You fill in the word. They don't even treat Catia v4-v5 or v5-v6 customers that well.

Anyway, best of luck.