Does anyone actually use 3DExperience in a productive manner?

mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience? Still waiting.......

Unread post by mike miller »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:14 pm I think @matt needs to have "CAD Forum" shirts made up for us going to SolidWorks World.

image.png
;;

Add @mattpeneguy's avatar to take it to a new level.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

mike miller wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:23 pm ;;

Add @mattpeneguy's avatar to take it to a new level.
I kind of like the subtle approach.
image.png
Jason
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:44 pm I kind of like the subtle approach.

image.png
That or "R.I.P. SOLIDWORKS WORLD".
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

You should have some hats made too.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mattpeneguy

SPerman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:55 pm You should have some hats made too.
image.png
image.png (117.6 KiB) Viewed 16709 times
This is almost perfect...Just needs to be Swamp blue colored.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

SPerman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:55 pm You should have some hats made too.

image.png
ahhh, thank you for that laugh. ;;
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

mattpeneguy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:16 pm This is almost perfect...Just needs to be Swamp blue colored.
@RickB Maybe you should show the ONE and TWO hat!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
mattpeneguy

DennisD wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:19 pm @RickB Maybe you should show the ONE and TWO hat!
Make One and Two
Great Again

Yeah, that'd be a good hat too...
mike miller

This email I just got says it all.
2021-10-21 09_26_32.jpg
"Is your CAD tool futureproof?" Say Sherlock, we've all been wondering! Guess what the seven technologies are that your CAD tool needs to "stay ahead of the curve". Stability is not one of them.

1. 3D printing (don't all CAD programs have this?)
2. Cloud (you didn't see that coming, did you?)
3. AI/Machine Learning
4. Smart Factories (what's CAD got to do with that?)
5. New materials (welcome to 1995)
6. Internet of Things (again, CAD??)
7. Virtual Augmented Reality (I thought those were two different things: VR...AR...please pick one.)
Attachments
Tech-Clarity-eBook-CAD-2021.pdf
(4.55 MiB) Downloaded 123 times
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

mike miller wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:37 am This email I just got says it all.

2021-10-21 09_26_32.jpg

"Is your CAD tool futureproof?" Say Sherlock, we've all been wondering! Guess what the seven technologies are that your CAD tool needs to "stay ahead of the curve". Stability is not one of them.

3. AI/Machine Learning
7. Virtual Augmented Reality (I thought those were two different things: VR...AR...please pick one.)
I am pretty sure i receive the same email two years ago ;;

I wont be surprise if they kill off SOLIDWORKS because it is not "FUTUREPROOF"
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

mike miller wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:37 am
Why does my cad software need to be a 3d slicer as well? I would prefer they focus on writing good cad software. There are plenty of decent slicers out there to pick from.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:49 am Why does my cad software need to be a 3d slicer as well? I would prefer they focus on writing good cad software. There are plenty of decent slicers out there to pick from.
If I was good with Memes I would make one of a pathetically crafted (Maybe cheap FDM) ring and caption "One CAD to rule them all."

Yeah, wife and I just watched the first Lord of the Rings the other night.
mattpeneguy

2021-10-21 09_26_32.jpg

3. AI/Machine Learning
It all makes sense when you realize they've transitioned from a software company to a marketing company.
mattpeneguy

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:49 am Why does my cad software need to be a 3d slicer as well? I would prefer they focus on writing good cad software. There are plenty of decent free slicers out there to pick from.
FTFY.
I haven't even bothered to look at what they have to offer because in typical SW fashion I'm sure it's lacking critical functionality or broken in some way...Definitely not mature, and I'd rather they dedicate those resources to other aspects. If they want a good slicer implemented, they should just buy it, similar to how they added FEA by buying it.
Implementing a slicer is really reinventing the wheel...
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:04 am FTFY.
I haven't even bothered to look at what they have to offer because in typical SW fashion I'm sure it's lacking critical functionality or broken in some way...Definitely not mature, and I'd rather they dedicate those resources to other aspects. If they want a good slicer implemented, they should just buy it, similar to how they added FEA by buying it.
Implementing a slicer is really reinventing the wheel...
I haven't bothered to look at what else they have to offer because I don't need any of that, and I don't see that changing, regardless of how many buzzwords they use.

Speaking of which, what does "The Internet of Things" mean, anyway? Does anyone know?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mike miller

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:49 am Why does my cad software need to be a 3d slicer as well? I would prefer they focus on writing good cad software. There are plenty of decent slicers out there to pick from.
Probably for many of the same reasons that your CAD tool must absolutely be able to do CAM, FEA, CFD, PDM, PLM, DFM, MBD, PCB design, Electrical, Routing and Piping, rendering, costing, Sustainability Reports, and heating Ramen noodles.
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 am Speaking of which, what does "The Internet of Things" mean, anyway? Does anyone know?
Needlessly connecting tat to the internet for five minutes of the novelty of being able to control something pointless like your lightbulbs, from your phone, at the near total expense of network security.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 am I haven't bothered to look at what else they have to offer because I don't need any of that, and I don't see that changing, regardless of how many buzzwords they use.

Speaking of which, what does "The Internet of Things" mean, anyway? Does anyone know?
IoT is the reality where connected microcomputers are in lots (ok, I meant LOTS) of stuff to detect things, call back, and make take an action locally if appropriate.

Here's a super simple example. You have a internet connected floodlight above your garage door. It senses motion. It turns on. It also relays its camera feed to a cloud server which notifies your smartphone app and offers you to see what is goin on at my door.

Now imagine that, everywhere for everything for all purposes. Is the Ammonia Tank venting harmful gasses? Is the water treatment plant basin number 5 backing up from a sludge clog, so the macerator in the drain needs to activate? Is the worker at Cubicle 842 awake or asleep or watching YouTube or being productive? Do any of these workers and shoppers entering this facility have temperatures over 100 degrees F? Is my car door ajar?

Now imagine that those microcomputers are all poorly secured, unmaintained, released prematurely, and hackable to create unprecedented scale of distributed denial of service attacks. That is also true. Isn't headlong progress fun?

EDIT: See also Gartner Hype Cycle such as Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies, 2020. Most of the future-proof technologies from that 7-topic list were emerging about five or more years ago (I elaborated in another post below), and are slowly maturing from hype through disillusionment and towards useful productivity. All the same, as you indicate, emergent technologies are not widely understood, but are commonly used as business speak hype loaded buzzwords.
Ömür Tokman

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 am Speaking of which, what does "The Internet of Things" mean, anyway? Does anyone know?
Communication of all electrical devices with each other over the internet,

knowledge, experience, data, the ability to transfer and control all this data if someone wants. for now this is only for smartphones but they want to use it on everything.

for instance:
Suppose you don't want to be vaccinated.
They'll pull your plug,
No face-recognition door will open for you.
The autopilot bus will not pick you up from the stop.
The mixer won't chop carrots for you.
etc........
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

3. AI/Machine Learning
Just to dig back into 4 years ago, most of these things were emergent - back then. For context, none of these things are completely new. It's just new to either DSS or, by extension, to us. Here, I've shown in red markups where their listed seven topics were. I'm a little surprised that "Industry 4.0" is not listed explicitly here (essentially, Smart Factories). Buzz buzz buzz. Unimpressive.
thetopleadinghotnewemergingenterprisetechnologiestowatchin2017 (incontext).png
I am far more concerned about whether the software I actually use is futureproof versus the whims of its parent corporation.
jcapriotti

Some of this stuff has been going on for years. Anyone remember n!fuze (powered by Enovia...3dx). This was 2011 and here we are 10 years later and its still barely a product (3DExperienceWorks <SolidWorks with 3DX>). xDesign is the same....took years to get here and it's still very incomplete. Can't imagine it took SolidWorks 95 this many years to make it to market.

Jason
Lucas
Answers: 2

Unread post by Lucas »

Eventually DSS like to do some marketing about 3D Printing, but they are not creating any new feature for the design itself. Even Catia is lacking advanced tools; AFAIK their lattice module looks behind the competitors.

Some months ago I watched a webinar form a 3D manufacturer and he mentioned specific tools for 3D printing in SW, aside the random stuff (Bounding Box, File: Print 3D), we have the Thread feature. And that's it. **
mattpeneguy

Lucas wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:23 pm Eventually DSS like to do some marketing about 3D Printing, but they are not creating any new feature for the design itself. Even Catia is lacking advanced tools; AFAIK their lattice module looks behind the competitors.

Some months ago I watched a webinar form a 3D manufacturer and he mentioned specific tools for 3D printing in SW, aside the random stuff (Bounding Box, File: Print 3D), we have the Thread feature. And that's it. **
That's just not true, there's things like Boss Extrude and Cut Extrude...
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

I go on 3D experience maybe once a month for about two minutes. It is just as pants now as when it started, perhaps even more pants as they try to fill it out with even more stuff no-one ever asked for.

Question is who is really using it and all of it's junk? I would love to see that company, do they actually get anything done?

The only thing now that would make it better is if there were videos of people unwrapping toys.
Glenn Schroeder

RichGergely wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:28 pm I go on 3D experience maybe once a month for about two minutes. It is just as pants now as when it started, perhaps even more pants as they try to fill it out with even more stuff no-one ever asked for.

Question is who is really using it and all of it's junk? I would love to see that company, do they actually get anything done?

The only thing now that would make it better is if there were videos of people unwrapping toys.
What do pants have to do with it? I assume this is auto-correct, but I can't figure out what it's supposed to be. Or is pants some slang term I'm not familiar with?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:43 pm What do pants have to do with it? I assume this is auto-correct, but I can't figure out what it's supposed to be. Or is pants some slang term I'm not familiar with?
pants pl (plural only)

(Britain, slang) Rubbish; something worthless.
You're talking pants!
The film was a load [or pile] of pants.
jcapriotti

JSculley wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:46 pm pants pl (plural only)

You're talking pants!
Leave it to the brits to be polite. Here we would say

You're talking sh!t!
The film was a load [or pile] of sh!t.

Jason
Glenn Schroeder

JSculley wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:46 pm pants pl (plural only)

You're talking pants!
I did not know that.

Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:00 pm Leave it to the brits to be polite. Here we would say

You're talking sh!t!
The film was a load [or pile] of sh!t.

The British way is definitely preferable.
KevinC

Unread post by KevinC »

Of late, Matthew Hall (I'm sure under DS Duma directives) has been marking posts as "Out" because they were created as type "Idea" instead of type "Question".

So instead of fixing the Swamp's UI so newbies can construct more accurate posts, DS dictates these posts aren't ideas and are going to be sent into the Memory Hole and if the poster still has an issue, then he can recreate it as a question.

Recreate the post all anew just for this.

And they are outing posts that already have 3-4 comments, so DS also expects people to regenerate their replies as well.
jcapriotti

Dassault wants it to be a stream of conscious with no memory. Memory is bad, we can't have negative views hanging around.
Jason
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

KevinC wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:10 pm Of late, Matthew Hall (I'm sure under DS Duma directives) has been marking posts as "Out" because they were created as type "Idea" instead of type "Question".

So instead of fixing the Swamp's UI so newbies can construct more accurate posts, DS dictates these posts aren't ideas and are going to be sent into the Memory Hole and if the poster still has an issue, then he can recreate it as a question.

And they are outing posts that already have 3-4 comments, so DS also expects people to regenerate their replies as well.
And Matthew is an administrator over there, or more precisely, an "owner" of that area. Even he does not have the capability to move something from an Idea to a Question, though he has been asking for this for quite awhile.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
mattpeneguy

DennisD wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:46 pm And Matthew is an administrator over there, or more precisely, an "owner" of that area. Even he does not have the capability to move something from an Idea to a Question, though he has been asking for this for quite awhile.
I may have to start posting useful information over there...but only as Ideas....
dave.laban

KevinC wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:10 pm Of late, Matthew Hall (I'm sure under DS Duma directives) has been marking posts as "Out" because they were created as type "Idea" instead of type "Question".

They're marked as "Out" so that they're not in the main idea funnel in order to (vaguely accurately) show how ideas progress through the system. They remain as accessible and discoverable as any other post and you can still interact with it after it has been marked Out, so there's no need to recreate as a Question. It's about trying to educate the users as much as possible for the next time they post.
KevinC

Unread post by KevinC »

DennisD wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:46 pm And Matthew is an administrator over there, or more precisely, an "owner" of that area. Even he does not have the capability to move something from an Idea to a Question, though he has been asking for this for quite awhile.
That's a shame for Mr. Hall. I figured he was caught between a rock and a Swampy place.
Probably most everyone at DS is.
Just like that poor soul DS threw under the bus for the old forum shutdown...I've forgotten his name already, but he got put into a lose-lose situation.

What I don't get about DS is that it's their fault the Swamp is a pile of junk and still they stick it to their own customers who must venture into the Swamp for a little assistance.
Why care about a stupid irrelevant categorization?
What's relevant is that the customer got his issue remedied and is again moving forward.
KevinC

Unread post by KevinC »

A side issue:
While editing the post above, I noticed the forum changed "the Swamp is a pile of suck" to pile of (perform a lewd act)".
[EDIT: And it transformed the 4 letter word for negative pressure in this post, too.]
It now says "pile of junk" to get rid of the transformation so I wouldn't be attributed to it.
So be sure to review your submissions for similar transformations.
image.png
mike miller

KevinC wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:22 am A side issue:
While editing the post above, I noticed the forum changed "the Swamp is a pile of (perform a lewd act)" to pile of (perform a lewd act)".
[EDIT: And it transformed the 4 letter word for negative pressure in this post, too.]
It now says "pile of junk" to get rid of the transformation so I wouldn't be attributed to it.
So be sure to review your submissions for similar transformations.
image.png
LOL. @matt, are we mature enough to reinstate that word? **
KevinC

Unread post by KevinC »

dave.laban wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:23 am They're marked as "Out" so that they're not in the main idea funnel in order to (vaguely accurately) show how ideas progress through the system. They remain as accessible and discoverable as any other post and you can still interact with it after it has been marked Out, so there's no need to recreate as a Question. It's about trying to educate the users as much as possible for the next time they post.
You may not need to recreate posts, but that's not the impression I get from Mr. Hall's wording.
And I don't believe I'm the only one as I have seen recreated posts.
mattpeneguy

KevinC wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:32 am You may not need to recreate posts, but that's not the impression I get from Mr. Hall's wording.
But are you seeing recreated posts because people can't find anything there and it's simpler to just recreate a post than find their original?
dave.laban

KevinC wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:32 am You may not need to recreate posts, but that's not the impression I get from Mr. Hall's wording.
image.png
That's his current default response text which seems pretty reasonable to me (within the confines of the system they've set up for themselves there, the merits of which are a whole other set of issues).

Unless there's some language barrier going on somewhere I can't understand why so many people intentionally pick "Idea" for their topic when "Question" is higher in the drop down and that's clearly more aligned with what they're typing.
mattpeneguy

dave.laban wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:11 am image.png

That's his current default response text which seems pretty reasonable to me (within the confines of the system they've set up for themselves there, the merits of which are a whole other set of issues).

Unless there's some language barrier going on somewhere I can't understand why so many people intentionally pick "Idea" for their topic when "Question" is higher in the drop down and that's clearly more aligned with what they're typing.
Question isn't higher:
image.png
"Idea" makes no sense for what they want...It's like asking for a banana when you want an apple...How about?:
"3DXP Suggested Improvement"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I'm supposed to have a discussion with Matthew tomorrow, though it's been supposed to have happened for quite some time but for some reason we both always have a reason to not be able to make it.

Hopefully tomorrow is the day it happens, I'm kind of interested in hearing what he has to say and what he'd like to discuss.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

What is a WeDo?
-
dave.laban

mattpeneguy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:26 am Question isn't higher:
image.png
Good point well made, brain fart on my part. Why on earth people can't leave it as the default "Post" boggles the mind too.
"Idea" makes no sense for what they want...It's like asking for a banana when you want an apple...How about?:
"3DXP Suggested Improvement"
Also a good idea!
KevinC

Unread post by KevinC »

dave.laban wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:11 am image.png

I think part of the reason is that for most people, they're just coming in to get an issue remedied and once it is, they're gone.
So the many aspects and capabilities of the Swamp are irrelevant for most visitors (as viewed from a "help forum" perspective).

Contrast there to here, where you just click to add a new post and type up your situation.
Get your answers (hopefully), give thanks (sometimes) and then go away.

I don't feel that the broad scope, capabilities and power of the Swamp are needed overall for those just looking to get an SW answer and get back to work.
And for the Swamp's SW User Forum, I also feel that this type of person constitutes the majority of its visitors.
dave.laban

Have been banging that drum in the user feedback sessions since I joined them. "Simplify simplify simplify" is the general mantra, and whenever they start talking about adding new bells and whistles remind them that that means someone isn't working on fixing the basics.
jcapriotti

SPerman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:43 amWhat is a WeDo?
I think that's where Dassault poops on your idea?
Jason
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

KevinC wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:14 am I think part of the reason is that for most people, they're just coming in to get an issue remedied and once it is, they're gone.
So the many aspects and capabilities of the Swamp are irrelevant for most visitors (as viewed from a "help forum" perspective).

Contrast there to here, where you just click to add a new post and type up your situation.
Get your answers (hopefully), give thanks (sometimes) and then go away.

I don't feel that the broad scope, capabilities and power of the Swamp are needed overall for those just looking to get an SW answer and get back to work.
And for the Swamp's SW User Forum, I also feel that this type of person constitutes the majority of its visitors.
Especially concidering that those 'powers' are flawed and don't actually work as exected most of the time.
KevinC

Unread post by KevinC »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:58 pm Especially concidering that those 'powers' are flawed and don't actually work as exected most of the time.
Even if the Swamp wasn't such a muck pit and actually kinda worked as advertised, I think there's still too much going on for the average poster just looking for an SW answer.
New visitors aren't necessarily going to bother beyond getting the situation entered and with such complexity, convoluted or not, it just guarantees newbies will break something.

If DS ran a candy store, the packages of gum would be just inside the front door and the checkout would be at the rear of the store, on the other side of rows of tables loaded with Swarovski crystal.

Then they (DS) would wonder why so much crystal is constantly being broken over something so simple as a pack of gum.
Then they'd buy more crystal.
And more tables.
For more crystal.
And hire people to tell new customers about the crystal.
The crystal no one came into the candy store to buy.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

KevinC wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:11 pm Even if the Swamp wasn't such a muck pit and actually kinda worked as advertised, I think there's still too much going on for the average poster just looking for an SW answer.
New visitors aren't necessarily going to bother beyond getting the situation entered and with such complexity, convoluted or not, it just guarantees newbies will break something.

If DS ran a candy store, the packages of gum would be just inside the front door and the checkout would be at the rear of the store, on the other side of rows of tables loaded with Swarovski crystal.

Then they wonder why so much crystal is constantly being broken over something so simple as a pack of gum.
Then they'd buy more crystal.
And more tables.
For more crystal.
And hire people to tell new customers about the crystal.
The crystal no one came into the candy store to buy.
Your example is clear!
- - -Randy Pausch