Cross section anywhere on bent pipe

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
temo
Answers: 0

Cross section anywhere on bent pipe

Unread post by temo »

Hello
I’m new here, migrating over from the old solid works forum that got shut down.

I’m trying to find the outline/perimeter of a angled section cut on a bent pipe constructed from a spline. I know I can find it by doing a cut extrude at an angle thru the pipe and then from a drawing created normal to the cut. But is there a easier way of doing this, for example true a section view? I need to be able to copy the geometric of the section on to a drawing.

Terje
by matt » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:39 pm
Put a plane where you need the section and use the Intersection Curve. It will get the section without the need to cut anything. You can get a plane by ctrl-dragging one parallel from an existing plane, or draw a line and make the new plane perpendicular to the sketch plane through the line. Then open a sketch on the new plane, select the surface you want to section and click Intersection Curve.
Go to full post
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Cross section anywhere on bent pipe

Unread post by matt »

Put a plane where you need the section and use the Intersection Curve. It will get the section without the need to cut anything. You can get a plane by ctrl-dragging one parallel from an existing plane, or draw a line and make the new plane perpendicular to the sketch plane through the line. Then open a sketch on the new plane, select the surface you want to section and click Intersection Curve.
temo
Answers: 0

Re: Cross section anywhere on bent pipe

Unread post by temo »

Thanks, I will try it!