What file(s) are needed for CNC production?

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
Lwave
Answers: 0

What file(s) are needed for CNC production?

Unread post by Lwave »

I'm aware my question may be a little vague.

I believe the short version of what I am asking is, what file(s) do I need to provide someone who is using SolidWorks, so they can proceed with making a cost estimate for producing a mold via CNC?

I do not use or have SolidWorks.

My current software:
- DesignSpark Mechanical (my 3D models/objects have all been created in this environment).
- CADexchanger (trial version) (part of a work flow that results in my DesignSpark files being converted to STEP files).
- Fusion360 (trial version) (evaulating this to see if Fusion360 will need to be part of my workflow, and perhaps migrate to from DesignSpark).
- FreeCAD (used only to verify my STEP files work in an additional environment other than DesignSPark and Fusion360, and to confirm some dimension measurements).

My file workflow:
DesignSpark -> .RSDOC -> .SAB -> .SAT -> CADexchanger -> .STEP -> SolidWorks

I am working with a individual who has SolidWorks.
When my STEP file from CADexchanger is opened in SolidWorks, the other individual mentions that there is no dimension information.

I understand this to be correct(?) because that's how STEP files are - they don't contain some information.

I can open my STEP file in FreeCAD or Fusion360, and everything looks OK. It's a 3D solid with corners, an extruded cylinder, a chamfered edge all where they should be. The solid's unit of measurement is 'mm' and all dimensions are as I expect when I rechecked the measurements using a measurement tool.

This file would be used to CNC a metal mold that will be used for producing parts via injection molding.

I do not have much experience using CAD software. I also do not have a background in CAD design, so I don't know or understand all of the ways objects/files of differing formats can flow between different CAD software programs that come with experience.

1a) What should I be providing in addition to the STEP file, so the individual has the dimension information they need?
(I did ask the individual the same question. but they mentioned it is usually in the file they open - I am assuming this other individual/company typically work's with files supplied to them as native SolidWorks files).

I've used Fusion360 to import my STEP file, and was able to attach 'sketches' to sides of the 3D model/object.

Is there any way to get this 3D model/object from Fusion360 into SolidWorks (with the sketches produced in Fusion360 intact)?
If so, what file workflow/format should I be exporting to within Fusion360?

Or...
1b) Is it typical or correct to just provide the STEP file, and a PDF drawing file that shows the dimensions, angles, radius/diameter info, etc. ?
I will try to upload my STEP file and the PDF drawing file I created from Fusuion360.

ex.
My revised file workflow might look like:
DesignSpark -> .RSDOC -> .SAB -> .SAT -> CADexchanger -> .STEP -> SolidWorks
DesignSpark -> .RSDOC -> .SAB -> .SAT -> CADexchanger -> .STEP -> Fusion360 -> PDF Drawing -> SolidWorks end-user.

I'm currently using DesignSpark Mechanical as my main CAD program to design my models.
I can convert the DesignSpark files to .SAT files, and from there into .STEP files.

Being a small business - I could not invest much into software, which is why I chose DesignSpark - but I knew using something 'free' would not be without problems around exchanging files between CAD environments.

I also wasn't comfortable having my designs in a proprietary format that I might not be able to access if I did not continue or renew my licensing fees. Plus DesignSPark was very fast for me to figure out and use without training costs or time. I will also not be producing many other new designs, but may enhance or modify my existing designs as time goes on (ex. maybe 1-2 years from now is a change/insert for a mold is justified).

I assumed SolidWorks is out of my price range.

However if I can license Fusion360 monthly as needed, then I have no problem with that additional license cost and using Fusion360 as part of my workflow to get my designs to SolidWorks. But at present I intend to keep my design models in and maintained in DesignSpark Mechanical.

Any assistance is appreciated. My guess is this isn't specifically a SolidWorks question, but I am hoping someone familiar with SolidWorks (and/or Fusion360?) has a few quick notes or comments that will point me in the right direction.
Lwave

Re: What file(s) are needed for CNC production?

Unread post by Lwave »

Added files
Attachments
dimension_sample_drawing.stp
(12.07 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
part1bodies13sep2021 Drawing v1.pdf
(121.06 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Hello Lwave,.. can you post your *.sab or *.sat file here?
Thanks.

btw..there is a Makers version of SolidWorks you should check out.

..here's a simplified dwg for molding... so, you don't have material? or draft (for ease of ejection and life of mold), which could be 0degs (if it's low volume, <100?) but 1.5degs min would be recommended in general (>for shorter parts).
Attachments
simple 1.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Lapuo

Unread post by Lapuo »

For me , drawing you attached and step file would be enough to make (or evaluate cost) mold design :)
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

The other individual mentioning "there is no dimension information" is correct. There is no tolerance on any of the dimensions, no geometric tolerances, surface conditions or any. So the customer (you) would have to accept a product with tolerances of +/- 5 mm.? Angles of 85 degrees on the sides?
Another tip, your drawing should indicate the chosen type of projection. Ever seen something like this ?
image.png
image.png (3.6 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

Lwave wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:54 pm I'm aware my question may be a little vague.

I believe the short version of what I am asking is, what file(s) do I need to provide someone who is using SolidWorks, so they can proceed with making a cost estimate for producing a mold via CNC?

First, why is your workflow so complex? Doesn't Design Spark have an export to step? If not....why are you using it? There are a whole lot of CAD systems out there that are free that export to step.

Second, what is needed to quote something is typically
1) Some idea of what it looks like
2) What it is made of
3) How many you need
4) What kind of tolerances do you need to hold.

For a mold some of this is simplified as unless their is something special about the mold tolerance is less important and material is pretty limited, most of the times but not always.

So in my experience a mold maker needs a model of what you want made. In many cases a mold maker will be better off with the model of the part you want made rather than your design of the mold.

In all the above cases they should be able to work off a STEP file.

Now if you have a complete mold design with all the parts and you're trying to get a regular machine shop to quote it, they will probably need all the tolerances and drawings of all the parts because unless they are a mold shop they will be unfamiliar with how to make a mold.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Mold?
Plastic part?
How about 3D Print?

"I also wasn't comfortable having my designs in a proprietary format"
Each CAD software is a proprietary format. No way out.
Lwave

Unread post by Lwave »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:02 am Each CAD software is a proprietary format. No way out.
True :-) what I meant was that I didn't to have to maintain any licensing to occassionally still be able to just to review my designs, or explore any possible changes. DesignSpark (.rsdoc) is proprietary, but (at present) is free to use.
Lwave

Unread post by Lwave »

zxys001 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:04 pm Hello Lwave,.. can you post your *.sab or *.sat file here?
Thanks.
I can post later today (not at my desk).
zxys001 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:04 pm btw..there is a Makers version of SolidWorks you should check out.
Thanks, I will take another look at the SolidWorks site.

zxys001 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:04 pm ..here's a simplified dwg for molding... so, you don't have material? or draft (for ease of ejection and life of mold), which could be 0degs (if it's low volume, <100?) but 1.5degs min would be recommended in general (>for shorter parts).
The material is aluminum (specific alloy TBD).
The mold will be used for pressure aluminum casting.
The actual shape is rectangular, about 6" long, 4" wide, and 3" tall. The shape is hollowed, with 2mm thick walls.
Internal corners are all rounded, I think all with a 3.125mm radius.. all sides are 90 degrees to each other, internal/external surfaces all 0 degrees / parallel... which I know might need to be changed to make ejection easier.
Initial volume over a period of 1-2 years will be around 2000 pieces.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

Lwave wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:14 pm I can post later today (not at my desk).

The actual shape is rectangular, about 6" long, 4" wide, and 3" tall. The shape is hollowed, with 2mm thick walls.
Internal corners are all rounded, I think all with a 3.125mm radius.. all sides are 90 degrees to each other, internal/external surfaces all 0 degrees / parallel... which I know might need to be changed to make ejection easier.
What experience/Expertise do you have with this type of molding? I'm only asking because are you better off taking the drawing of the part to someone and asking them to build a mold for you?

I only ask because
1) Above you're saying you're going to use an aluminum mold for an aluminum casting. I'm not an expert but I don't think that's what you want to do unless you are talking about making a wax injection mold for investment casting.
2) ~2000 pieces over 1 to 2 years is not alot of parts. Again unless you're talking about a wax injection mold making a mold for such a volume seems like over kill. Making a pattern for sand casting or wax injection mold for investment seems like it would less expensive.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Lwave wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:14 pm I can post later today (not at my desk).

ok,.. not sure then,.. maybe "Hydroform Aluminium"?
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »