Solidworks Chain Pattern

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Solidworks Chain Pattern

Unread post by SPerman »

This is my first time attempting to use the chain pattern in Solidworks, and it isn't going well. The end bracket has no constraints, but I am unable to move it unless I supress teh chain pattern. I can't figure out how I've screwed this up, so I'm guessing it is a solidworks thing. Any help would be appreciated.
Chain.gif
Attachments
Chain.zip
(408.22 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: Solidworks Chain Pattern

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Scott, your zip file is empty.
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I'm not sure what happened there. Try it now, please.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Not sure what's happening other than it being a bug. I edited the chain pattern then select OK without changing anything and now I can move the part.
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I think I figured out what happened. I had the chain pattern set to "Fill Path." I then adjusted the sketch so that it took fewer links. It was only after unchecking fill path and reducing the count that it behaved properly.
-
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

SPerman wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:01 pm I think I figured out what happened. I had the chain pattern set to "Fill Path." I then adjusted the sketch so that it took fewer links. It was only after unchecking fill path and reducing the count that it behaved properly.
Solidworks Does not like errors and sometimes doesn't show errors. Often times when there is an error you can no longer drag parts. No idea why but the first thing I think now when I can't move a part by dragging that I think I should be able to is "Ok something is blown up"
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

MJuric wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:23 pm Solidworks Does not like errors and sometimes doesn't show errors. Often times when there is an error you can no longer drag parts. No idea why but the first thing I think now when I can't move a part by dragging that I think I should be able to is "Ok something is blown up"
Errors scare users, so don't show errors! It's that simple!
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
zxys001
Answers: 5

Unread post by zxys001 »

SPerman wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:01 pm I think I figured out what happened. I had the chain pattern set to "Fill Path." I then adjusted the sketch so that it took fewer links. It was only after unchecking fill path and reducing the count that it behaved properly.
yeah.. same but this must be a bug.
If you also rollback or suppress the chain feature.. you can move.

Sumthing ain't right.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau