My .sldlfp sketch doesn't work with the Structural Member function

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

My .sldlfp sketch doesn't work with the Structural Member function

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

If you created your own profile sketch to use with the Structural Member function, and you're having problems, it's probably one of two things.

1. The most likely problem is not having the sketch selected when saving the file. Open the .sldlfp file and see if the sketch has the "L" icon beside it (see below). If it's not there, then that's what happened.

image.png

If the file was saved correctly, then you probably don't have the correct folder structure. Solidworks is very particular about the number of layers of folders for these files. Go to Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations > Weldment Profiles and see what folder yours is pointing to. Mine is set to the folder named "Weldment Profiles" on our network drive. This folder needs one set of sub-folders (in my case that's "ANSI inch" and "ISO").

image.png

The next layer depends on whether or not you're using files with multiple configurations. If you are, then those files will go directly in these folders. If you have a single configuration, with a different file for each size, then you'll need another layer of folders. See the screenshot below of my ANSI Inch folder. I use both multiple and single configurations files, so I have both here (the multiple configuration files have -c at the end of the file names so when using the Structural Member function I can tell which is which).

image.png

As always, if you have a question about any of this feel free to ask, and I'll help if I can.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
MichealMMD
Answers: 0

Re: My .sldlfp sketch doesn't work with the Structural Member function

Unread post by MichealMMD »

Hi,

I'm still having problems, I have tired both your methods, and my profiles are still not showing up on my structural tabs.

Any recommendations?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: My .sldlfp sketch doesn't work with the Structural Member function

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

MichealMMD wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:23 am Hi,

I'm still having problems, I have tired both your methods, and my profiles are still not showing up on my structural tabs.

Any recommendations?
I can't help without more information. Can you please attach your .sldlfp file, along with screenshots of the file path at the top of the File Explorer window where your file is saved and your setting at Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations > weldment profiles?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"