Solidworks to CAM/DXF

temo
Answers: 0

Solidworks to CAM/DXF

Unread post by temo »

Hello again

So I have this part I want to machine, but it's my first time on my Openbuilds mini mill.
The part is about 10x20x20mm and in aluminium.

When I save out the part as an dxf it comes in my Openbuilds cam as one circle and four line segments and two arc's. The cam does not seem to be able to handle the six segments as a perimeter before they are joined. I've tried a number of different versions of autocad formats, from ver 14-2018, both binary and ascii without luck. How does one go around this problem?

I know I have Cam in my SW 2021 version, but only for one more month until my subscription runs out, so to start learning that now will be a bit awaile.

Please anyone!
Tapp 2021 alu 20mm prod_printed_iso.JPG
Tapp 2021 alu 20mm prod_printed.JPG
Tapp 2021 alu 20mm prod_printed_back.JPG
Tapp 2021 alu 20mm prod_printed_top.JPG
JuTu
Answers: 1

Re: Solidworks to CAM/DXF

Unread post by JuTu »

Well... I'm not an expert by any means.

Did you plan to mill it in one go? Or change the grip at some point of work? How about the stock? How the piece will be oriented as a plain stock piece relative to the final shape?

And since I don't know - is dxf three dimensions compatible format?
Sincerely,
JuTu
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

temo wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:44 am Hello again

So I have this part I want to machine, but it's my first time on my Openbuilds mini mill.

When I save out the part as an dxf it comes in my Openbuilds cam as one circle and four line segments and two arc's. The cam does not seem to be able to handle the six segments as a perimeter before they are joined. I've tried a number of different versions of autocad formats, from ver 14-2018, both binary and ascii without luck. How does one go around this problem?

I know I have Cam in my SW 2021 version, but only for one more month until my subscription runs out, so to start learning that now will be a bit awaile.

Please anyone!
Tapp 2021 alu 20mm prod_printed_iso.JPGTapp 2021 alu 20mm prod_printed.JPGTapp 2021 alu 20mm prod_printed_back.JPGTapp 2021 alu 20mm prod_printed_top.JPG
I have to ask.., you're using a 3D program to send out 2D DXF profiles (images) so you can upload them into a free online web program? Why do you need SolidWorks? You could use any free online or desktop 3D program to do this... FreeCad?
Attachments
202010dxf.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

zxys001 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:45 am I have to ask.., you're using a 3D program to send out 2D DXF profiles (images) so you can upload them into a free online web program? Why do you need SolidWorks? You could use any free online or desktop 3D program to do this... FreeCad?
..btw, just tried to upload the dxf profile of the side and this is what that program did? (not very good imho)
Attachments
o 6.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

temo wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:44 am Hello again

Please anyone!
Tapp 2021 alu 20mm prod_printed_iso.JPGTapp 2021 alu 20mm prod_printed.JPGTapp 2021 alu 20mm prod_printed_back.JPGTapp 2021 alu 20mm prod_printed_top.JPG
First why is your CAM going away when your subscription runs out?

Second you'll probably have better luck making a drawing of the part and exporting that as a DXF. If your program you are using can machine off of models then I would export as a STEP or some other format more 3D friendly.
temo
Answers: 0

Unread post by temo »

I guess, that's just a way to try to get me to have a subscription, it's all gone from my addinn now(that will say, I can still make a tick in the menu, but it will not load, not even if I restart SW).

Yes I could just use a 2d program to draw this part, but it's a part of a bigger assembly, and it's not great to have to redraw it. I found a solution, but it's time consuming, I have to load it in autocad or similar program and convert all lines to polylines.