Overall drafting standard only replaces some standards

berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Overall drafting standard only replaces some standards

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

So I saved a drawing standard with some settings in there. I thought this would save ALL the document settings in there, but it does not seem that it actually does.
I.e. if I manually change the 'Units' to have .12345 decimals and I re-load my overall drafting standard (which should have .1 decimals) it does not update.

Why?
There are other settings that also do not properly update:
  • Layers on the following get lost
    • Borders
    • Angular running
    • Centerline/Centermark
    • Bend table
    • Punch table
    • Orthographic Views
    • Other Views
  • Changes on the Unit tab
  • Detailing (Display on all types in this case) is not activated
  • Image quality does not update to the correct slider position at all (REALLY??? This is so important!!!)
Any way around this?

Crosspost
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Re: Overall drafting standard only replaces some standards

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

There are 2 different things that define standards for your files.

The drafting standard
The sheet format (when dealing with a drawing)
The Template

The drafting standard, in general, only defines the STYLE and PRECISION that is used in different areas. But does not overwrite the overarching unit precision of the entire document. (basically, if, in the section that you are in, if it has the "overall drafting standard" listed at the top, then that area is controlled by the drafting standard.

I am pretty sure that the exception to this is that layer definition is outside the scope of the drafting standard. This would be defined in the template.

And all other areas are defined by the template. The drafting standard does not cover these.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
AlexB
Answers: 26

Unread post by AlexB »

From what I've found, the drafting standard only contains the items that are within the dotted connector line shown in the menu.
image.png
image.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
If you want other settings modified, then you'll likely have to implement a macro to update those settings on existing documents. A lot of the things you've outlined are part of the drawing template or sheet format file(s).
berg_lauritz

AlexB wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:17 pm From what I've found, the drafting standard only contains the items that are within the dotted connector line shown in the menu.
image.png

If you want other settings modified, then you'll likely have to implement a macro to update those settings on existing documents. A lot of the things you've outlined are part of the drawing template or sheet format file(s).
I wish it was that easy. It does not properly change several layers which are connected to the drafting standard. But others it does change(!).

But it also updates everything that is not connected through the dotted lines under
  • Weldments
  • Sheet Metal
  • Drawing Sheets
  • Detailing (at least partially - it updates i.e. the 'Auto insert on view creation')
I did not test everything, but it's already super random.
berg_lauritz

Small update: There was something requested on the 2022 Top Ten list (which is not visible anymore). I think @Frank_Oostendorp made it. Anyway here is an article about it:

https://www.engineersrule.com/heres-wha ... olidworks/

#3 covers the request for this missing feature.