Revision comment from the designer instead of the reviewer.

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
pitbullxp
Answers: 0

Revision comment from the designer instead of the reviewer.

Unread post by pitbullxp »

Hi all.

I want to change the way the revisions work.

Right now a designer is changing some part, submit it for approval, write in the comment section what he did and clicks ok. than the reviewer checks it and approves the part and fills in his comment('approved' most of the time). The comment from the reviewer will show up in de revision table.

I think the comment from the designer is more important to see in an revision table, because that tells you what changed and who made the change. How can i do something like that.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Revision comment from the designer instead of the reviewer.

Unread post by bnemec »

It hard to answer without knowing your workflow, but making assumptions that you're using the automatic revision table and the designer and approver comments are both set to the same data card variable in their respective transitions. So the variable is set when designer sends file to review then updated when file is approved (this may be a new version or not depending on if overwrite version is checked in the Approve transition). Is the comment in the "Approved" transition really that important? What data is there that is needed? In our "Approved" transition we do not have an action that sets a variable to the comment. We just record user and time. This way the data card variable "Revision Comment" stays until the next time the file is revised.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: Revision comment from the designer instead of the reviewer.

Unread post by jcapriotti »

pitbullxp wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:30 am Hi all.

I want to change the way the revisions work.

Right now a designer is changing some part, submit it for approval, write in the comment section what he did and clicks ok. than the reviewer checks it and approves the part and fills in his comment('approved' most of the time). The comment from the reviewer will show up in de revision table.

I think the comment from the designer is more important to see in an revision table, because that tells you what changed and who made the change. How can i do something like that.
I wouldn't handle this with check-in comments or transition comments. Instead add a "Change Summary" field to your data card and pull that into the Rev-table instead.
image.png
image.png
Jason