Login Details Not Remembered

We're all ears.
matt
Answers: 18

"Remember Me" setting at login

Unread post by matt »

It sounds like a lot of people, including me, have been having trouble with session logins getting cut short or something like that. I've had this trouble with other phpbb boards, but also some seem to have figured it out.

This morning I made a change to the cookie settings in the admin area, and the change seems to be working for me. I haven't had a session dropped in a couple of hours. Has anyone had any issue with the board remembering who they are, or otherwise having a session dropped, or the site required you to log in again since Thursday morning March 11, about 8 am eastern time? I think I got the settings right, but let me know if anything happens. Plus, you might try clearing cookies and restarting your browser, although I know that's a pain in the butt. Mine worked without doing that (firefox).

Let me know if you have trouble.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: "Remember Me" setting at login

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

It seems to be fixed (using Chrome). Thanks.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
matt

Unread post by matt »

This problem has been through an evolution. I'm not sure it's fixed yet, but we're trying the next level. First I set phpbb cookie settings, then I changed the way the cookie server is referenced, and now, I've had my server provider reset and finally kill the server cache. Along with that, I renamed the cookie, so you all probably had to re-login again earlier today. I hope this was the final change. All that logging in is tiresome. Let me know if things don't improve along this issue. Thanks.
VicFrauenfeld
Answers: 0

Unread post by VicFrauenfeld »

I did get "kicked off" today and had to log in again. It is not a big deal for me because I use LastPass and it is just a few clicks for me (I don't need to reenter my username and password every time).
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
matt

Unread post by matt »

VicFrauenfeld wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:00 pm I did get "kicked off" today and had to log in again. It is not a big deal for me because I use LastPass and it is just a few clicks for me (I don't need to reenter my username and password every time).
If it happened this morning, it was because I changed the cookie name mid-stream. But after that, things should settle down.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I have to login in every time I come to the site. Even if it is 5 seconds after my last visit. (Chrome)
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I was getting kicked off yesterday, but today with a new browser session I haven't been kicked off yet.

Like Scott, I do get kicked off whenever I close my browser, but that's not really a problem for me.
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

for me, always have to "re-login"
AlexLachance

And, after making that post I got kicked off again :lol:
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I changed my shortcut to "unread posts" and it no longer requires me to login every time I visit the site.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
matt

Unread post by matt »

I haven't had to re-login at all since I made the server changes yesterday. And I'm using 2 simultaneous logins (in different windows) for matt and one for admin. Using FireFox. I think the issue on this end is fixed, maybe for those of you that still have the problem, you can delete cookies, or delete history for the past 2 weeks. Or if you can, just delete the cadforum cookie, which for unbelievable convenience, has the name of the site built right in to the name of the cookie file.
rothers

Login Details Not Remembered

Unread post by rothers »

Login - remember me, doesn't work for me, have to login everytime I visit.

Using Win 7 64 & Firefox 86

Does it work for anyone else usng Firefox ?
Rob
Answers: 2

Re: Login Details Not Remembered

Unread post by Rob »

Not for me either on Chrome.. logs me out even when I keep it open. I've removed all my cookies but still fails :D
Merovingien

there is already a thread about that question (lost) somewhere else.
Merovingien

Remember still not working for me...
i use that shortcut url "https://www.cadforum.net"
matt

Unread post by matt »

Yeah, I'm getting frustrated at this one. It's not working for me either. Is it working for anyone?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Nope, if I close the tab and reopen, I have login again.
Jason
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Seems like this problem isn't easy to solve:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2542591
matt

Unread post by matt »

mattpeneguy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:48 pm Seems like this problem isn't easy to solve:
Yeah, I've read all the phpbb posts on it. I go to other phpbb sites where this is a problem. The SW forum made me log in every day

Plus I called the people that host my server, and they were very non-committal about a solution. That didn't work.

Here's my next try: browser cookie and site data exceptions settings
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/966919
mattpeneguy

It's a minor inconvenience. Browsers store passwords, so it's definitely not pressing.
Dtief190

Unread post by Dtief190 »

I'm using Brave browser, I have to re login a few times per day.
matt

Unread post by matt »

mattpeneguy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:09 pm It's a minor inconvenience. Browsers store passwords, so it's definitely not pressing.
Yeah, but it's a minor inconvenience that's going to continue to defeat me until I figure it out. I can't stand stuff that I can't figure out. I'll keep trying because it affects everyone.
matt

Unread post by matt »

I merged this with the same topic from the What's New area. Just consolidates the information.
jcapriotti

Well Chrome remembers the password so it's not that big I deal I suppose. I usually leave the tab open so its ok but after some amount of time (hour?) it logs out.
Jason
Glenn Schroeder

matt wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:01 pm
mattpeneguy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:48 pm Seems like this problem isn't easy to solve:
Yeah, I've read all the phpbb posts on it. I go to other phpbb sites where this is a problem. The SW forum made me log in every day

Plus I called the people that host my server, and they were very non-committal about a solution. That didn't work.

Here's my next try: browser cookie and site data exceptions settings
XenForo is a user friendly intuitive forum platform (at least I think so). I'm just throwing that out there. I know it made me happy when another forum I belong to switched from this platform to that one.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I know you are working on this, and there may not be a simple solution. But logging in all the time is getting old.
-
matt

Unread post by matt »

SPerman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:58 pm I know you are working on this, and there may not be a simple solution. But logging in all the time is getting old.
Here's what I've done that seems to be working.

Make sure your browser is not clearing history or cookies or site data at the end of each session, or if it is, use the Exceptions list to allow it to store the CADForum.net cookie. The cookie can remember your login within or across browser sessions. I just added the site to the exception list to be sure.

These are the settings for Firefox, but I'm sure the others are similar. If you have other sites that are doing the same thing (I definitely do) you can use this technique for them as well. So I just put all the sites I remain logged into all day that require me to re-login frequently. For me that's a couple of forums and the SW site.
image.png
jcapriotti

@matt I don't have anything clearing cookies. If I leave the tab open, it will stay logged in until some amount of time of inactivity. Is there a timer?

If I close the tab and open another, I have login again every time. I've cleared cookie and site data....no change.

Using Chrome, btw.
Jason
AlexLachance

I'd like to point out a few of the ''smaller issues'' relating to this. There's only 2 right now but if there's more that comes to mind I'll try to add them.

-Opening a new tab in the same browser and typing in cadforum.net brings me here, but not logged in, even though I have this tab opened right now and am typing this message.
-Remember me does not remember me, in the sense that I need to relogin every time I close my browser. It doesn't kick me off suddenly anymore, but it doesn't keep me logged in either.Pretty sure you're aware of this and can't fix it though as it's the origin of this thread.
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:34 pm @matt I don't have anything clearing cookies. If I leave the tab open, it will stay logged in until some amount of time of inactivity. Is there a timer?

If I close the tab and open another, I have login again every time. I've cleared cookie and site data....no change.

Using Chrome, btw.
This is a cookie problem. I've been part of other forums with the same problem, including the SW site. I think it's a user side issue.

The phpbb admin settings are simple. I've had the server settings checked. All that remains are user settings. Putting the site in the exceptions list has given me some relief from the logins. I keep two users logged in all day, one for posting and one for running admin. I've only had to re-login once today.

Give the exceptions settings a shot. More from Mozilla here:

Dtief190

Unread post by Dtief190 »

I have my browser set to allow this site to use all cookies, not cleared when shut down, etc. It still makes me re log in a number of times per day.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

It sounds like other browsers don't have this problem. There must be some magic setting in Chrome we haven't found yet.
-
matt

Unread post by matt »

Chrome is working for me. I can shut it down, reopen the browser, reconnect to the website and I'm still logged in. Firefox won't do that for me. I'll check edge and opera.

Ok, the new Edge browser works the way it should. Close down, reopen, still logged in.

Opera does not work. In fact, Opera didn't even remember my password by default.

So Edge and Chrome are the preferred browsers, I guess.

But, the weirdest thing. I can log in as 2 users at once (separate tabs) on Firefox, but I can't do that in Chrome. In general most people won't have to do that, but I'm being matt and admin at the same time, but matt doesn't have admin rights.
Marshall Wilson
Answers: 1

Unread post by Marshall Wilson »

Interesting;
(Firefox)
When I was logging in with "http" (not secure) it was not remembering my login details. This had been happening for a few days (my bookmark was set to "http"
I just tried again with https://www.cadforum.net and it seemed to remember my details better.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I deleted the cookies again and it is now working, at least on one computer.
-
Glenn Schroeder

Yesterday I was asked to log in again several times when refreshing the "New content" page. When I was taken to that page all my information would be filled out, I just had to click the "Remember me" box and then the Log in link.

Yesterday evening I shut my computer down (it had been running for several days). This morning I was logged in automatically, with no input from me. It appears to be fixed. Thanks again @matt.

I'm using Chrome, by the way.

Marshall Wilson

Much better.. Thanks @matt !
mattpeneguy

In chrome this seems to work for me:
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
matt

Unread post by matt »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:00 pm In chrome this seems to work for me:
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
Great!. I'm happy to start to get this behind us. I've switched my browser to Chrome. As much as I don't like Google, with their "don't be evil" and all and owning everything anybody ever put on the web, I gotta say, Chrome is working better than Firefox for this anyway.
jcapriotti

@mattpeneguy I think that may have did it....so far so good.
Jason
Marshall Wilson

matt wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:36 pm

Great!. I'm happy to start to get this behind us. I've switched my browser to Chrome. As much as I don't like Google, with their "don't be evil" and all and owning everything anybody ever put on the web, I gotta say, Chrome is working better than Firefox for this anyway.
Whatever you have done... FWIW, the Forum is now running fine on Firefox and has been for the past 24 hrs.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Marshall Wilson wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:04 pm

Whatever you have done... FWIW, the Forum is now running fine on Firefox and has been for the past 24 hrs.
Huh. Really? I just changed the way it refers to the cookie domain. Kind of a shot in the dark, actually. Anyway, good to know. Any chance we can recreate all this when someone else has the same issue?
Rob
Answers: 2

Unread post by Rob »

It's started working for me now too.
On both my work pc and laptop at home.
The only other thing I did I've not seen mentioned was untick

Send a "Do Not Track" request with your browsing traffic

setting in Chrome

Happy days
Glenn Schroeder

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:00 pm In chrome this seems to work for me:
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
I understand. I hung onto Internet Explorer as long as I could, but finally switched to Chrome when Pandora stopped working. I gotta have my music while I'm working.

VicFrauenfeld

Unread post by VicFrauenfeld »

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

After changing my settings like @mattpeneguy mentioned, I now have the forum remembering me! No more logging in all the time.

Thanks everyone.
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
matt

Unread post by matt »

VicFrauenfeld wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:26 am After changing my settings like @mattpeneguy mentioned, I now have the forum remembering me! No more logging in all the time.

Thanks everyone.
Excellent. Thanks everyone for your help!
rothers

Unread post by rothers »

Working for me as well now with Firefox, haven't changed anything from when it was not working. Can see quite a few more cookies are being stored now than previous.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Been working in Edge Dev, both in Windows and Linux. Thanks Matt!
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

Ok, so, I'm having an issue too. Not with my login details as such, I never click the "remember me" button. I'm quite happy to enter it all each time I login.
My issue is that during the day if I refresh a page almost everytime , it refreshes with me logged out and I must login again.
It's not really problematic, as such.. But...
I do use a recent version of Firefox and I don't have issues with any other sites.
Glenn Schroeder

Damo wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:36 pm Ok, so, I'm having an issue too. Not with my login details as such, I never click the "remember me" button. I'm quite happy to enter it all each time I login.
My issue is that during the day if I refresh a page almost everytime , it refreshes with me logged out and I must login again.
It's not really problematic, as such.. But...
I do use a recent version of Firefox and I don't have issues with any other sites.
I'm afraid I can't help with your problem, but curiosity compels me to ask why you never click the "Remember me" button? I could understand it if it was for your bank, or something similar, but why here?