Get a count of component occurrences in an assembly?

Programming and macros
mike miller
Answers: 7

Get a count of component occurrences in an assembly?

Post by mike miller »

Is there any way to get a total count of a component, including inside subassemblies? Like an atomic BOM would do. (don't say that sentence out loud..)

We would like to have that value returned for use in a naming string if possible.

@gupta9665
@artem
@josh
@Rob
by artem » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:25 pm
BOM+ (https://cadplus.xarial.com/bom/) has an option to generate flat BOM. Here is the video demonstration (2:10 mark about the flat BOM):

And here is the macro to write the qty to the custom property so you can then use it for naming:
Go to full post
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
DLZ_SWX_User
Answers: 0

Re: Get a count of component occurrences in an assembly?

Post by DLZ_SWX_User »

Thanks @mike miller ,

This is what I was trying to get to happen in the thread: :arrow:
https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=9594#p9594
artem
Answers: 3

Post by artem »

BOM+ (https://cadplus.xarial.com/bom/) has an option to generate flat BOM. Here is the video demonstration (2:10 mark about the flat BOM):

And here is the macro to write the qty to the custom property so you can then use it for naming:
Thanks,
Artem
xarial.com - making your CAD better
codestack.net - SOLIDWORKS API macros and tutorials
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Post by gupta9665 »

You can also look at the codes posted here https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/50568
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
mike miller
Answers: 7

Post by mike miller »

artem wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:25 pm BOM+ (https://cadplus.xarial.com/bom/) has an option to generate flat BOM. Here is the video demonstration (2:10 mark about the flat BOM):

Thanks @artem. I was hoping I could get a count as easily as I can get a custom property. Oh well, this works fine even if it's an extra step.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
starshiphalo2333

Post by starshiphalo2333 »

Does anyone know a way to do this without BOM+ ? BOM+ is a paid add-in, the BOM tools require the 500 AUD license.

I basically one a flat BOM with total quantities of each component (SLDASM and SLDPRT)

BOM Example:
1234B - QTY 1
-----1235C - QTY 5
----------45332 - QTY 2
----------32233 - QTY 1
----------12112 - QTY 5

Desired BOM:
1234B - QTY 1
1235C - QTY 5
45332 - QTY 10
32233 - QTY 5
12112 - QTY 25
josh
Answers: 11

Post by josh »

Place a single "dummy" empty part in each assembly/subassembly. Give it the custom properties that you want to show in the BOM for that assembly/subassembly. Make a "Parts Only" BOM instead of indented.
starshiphalo2333

Post by starshiphalo2333 »

josh wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:05 pm Place a single "dummy" empty part in each assembly/subassembly. Give it the custom properties that you want to show in the BOM for that assembly/subassembly. Make a "Parts Only" BOM instead of indented.
Ah, that would work - nice workaround. Unfortunately that's not a great solution for us, we have thousands of assemblies from over the years (been using SW since 2000). We would have to manually add this dummy part to all of those assemblies - and any new assembly going forward.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Post by bnemec »

Sounds like $500 is a good deal for a turn-key solution that does what you need. I've tried to help where I work automate things (mostly because I'm terrible at repeating a mundane process identically over and over). Wrote a BOM extractor for Solid Edge files, then updated it to pull file refs from PDM. What you're asking for is completely doable. Now I don't have time for automation/API projects anymore as they have me doing other stuff. They've tried hiring contract API labor and are flabbergasted at the hourly rate then looked elsewhere and got similar numbers. I kinda told them, "Yeah, that's the going rate".
josh
Answers: 11

Post by josh »

starshiphalo2333 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:36 pm Ah, that would work - nice workaround. Unfortunately that's not a great solution for us, we have thousands of assemblies from over the years (been using SW since 2000). We would have to manually add this dummy part to all of those assemblies - and any new assembly going forward.
What format do you need? Are you just looking for a report/knowledge, or are you wanting an actual SolidWorks BOM on a drawing? The "Assembly Visualization" tool will generate the flat total info you're looking for.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Post by mattpeneguy »

josh wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:17 pm What format do you need? Are you just looking for a report/knowledge, or are you wanting an actual SolidWorks BOM on a drawing? The "Assembly Visualization" tool will generate the flat total info you're looking for.
I forgot about that tool because I used it so long ago. It also lets you export to Excel. I remember using it to spit out components and weights because our structural people were trying to determine a center of gravity.