Toolbox and PDM

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
MMartens
Answers: 6

Toolbox and PDM

Unread post by MMartens »

I am experimenting with the proper settings to use when managing the SW toolbox within PDM. I have read through all the help files and several blogs about what the settings should be.

When my users create new part numbers/configurations through the Edit Toolbox Component page the toolbox tables are not updating even though I have use permissions from set to the system administrator account. On the PDM side, the model in the local cache is showing as newer than vault, but it isn't pushing through to the database and therefore out to the other users. It works when I am testing it on my computer but I have different permissions since I am an administrator.

I am assuming it is a mix of the user group's folder and workflow state settings that are preventing this but haven't figured out which ones. Is anyone using toolbox and PDM in a similar fashion? How is your toolbox, user group, and workflow states set?
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Toolbox and PDM

Unread post by mike miller »

Toolbox and PDM?

Ouch.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Brian-M
Answers: 1

Unread post by Brian-M »

Yeah, Toolbox is a pain, but I thought you'd get a little more feedback.
We are using PDM and Toolbox, I didn't set it up, but I'll try to give you a little info and maybe someone else will chime in.
We use Create Parts, and drop them in one specific PDM folder.
In PDM we have a Group for people that are allowed to update/add to the toolbox (they get their main permissions in their main group, this is just an extra).
You could look at Refresh Cache On Login - for the folder where the toolbox database is?
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

I am a one-man operation so I don't use PDM. However, I distinctly remember years ago seeing a similar conversation on the old forum and the main recommendation from there was to not control TB parts with the PDM. Sure, setup new TB parts with your part numbers and descriptions, but they did not need to be revision controlled through the PDM since they were generally unchanging commodity items.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch