BOM

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Prolixity
Answers: 0

BOM

Unread post by Prolixity »

Hello,
This is my second post and hopefully this is the correct way to post.
IS there a quick method of modifying the BOM template to show thumbnails?
Currently, I have to export to excel with thumbnails checked, then I copy, and I paste back into solidworks drawing. This is really great for production staff, but if there is any modifications or changes with the assembly I have to repeat since there is no parametric link at that point.
Thanks, for the help.
RonE
Answers: 3

Re: BOM

Unread post by RonE »

One could potentially automate the process you described but still the BOM including thumbnails would not be associative to the model but only an OLE object.

You could vote for enhancement SPR 1182235: Ability to add a column with thumbnail previews of SW files to the drawing BOM table
the_h4mmer
Answers: 1

Re: BOM

Unread post by the_h4mmer »

Prolixity wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:50 pm Hello,
This is my second post and hopefully this is the correct way to post.
IS there a quick method of modifying the BOM template to show thumbnails?
Currently, I have to export to excel with thumbnails checked, then I copy, and I paste back into solidworks drawing. This is really great for production staff, but if there is any modifications or changes with the assembly I have to repeat since there is no parametric link at that point.
Thanks, for the help.
If you're placing the BOM on the drawing, then wouldn't adding BOM balloons on an exploded diagram solve the issue? I guess it all depends on the layout of your drawings.

If you export your spreadsheet with thumbnails, fix all the formatting in Excel and save. Then open a SWX drawing and use Insert >> Object >> Create from File, you can pull in the spreadsheet directly. Still no parametric link, but I guess you might be able to create some scripts to do that when the BOM is ready, overwrite the existing file, and make sure to choose "Link" when inserting the object into the drawing. A little kludge, but it might get you 70-80% of the way to what you're looking for.