Assembly promotion

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Assembly promotion

Unread post by mp3-250 »

With 60+ workstations and PDM users, with a huge base of existing SW data, before introducing a new workflow we need to check how stable it is. After lot of train wrecks with weldments, cutlists, BOM and the usual SW stuff, I was wondering how to use the component promotion to better handle dummy assemblies inside indented BOMs.

Then this came out the KB... no way it is usable in this state. Any other feedback on promotion?
it seems to be broken with configurations too.
SPR #1214934
Product SolidWorks PDM
Status Implemented
Fixed in 2023 a1
Area SWPDM
Sub-Area SWPDM - BOM
Customer Impact Critical
Enhancement

Summary
Computed BOM quantities are not rolled up correctly in PDM when multiple subassemblies have 'Promote' enabled
Technical Comments
Former Mechanical Engineer (UG-NX ), now a miserable SW CAD/PDM admin... debugging Solidworks since 2014. Please save me from ThE pLaTfOrM...
All the opinions are my own.
SW is bad: a fact not an opinion.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Re: Assembly promotion

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

What exactly does that mean? This looks like it could be a problem for us too!
Diaval
Answers: 7

Unread post by Diaval »

The issue from SPR 1214934 has to do with assembly configuration properties Bill of Materials Options when an assembly is used as a subassembly. There was a problem when multiple levels of subassemblies were set to use the Promote option where the quantities for the promoted parts were not rolling up properly. As noted in the original post, this has now been fixed and you can contact your VAR for more information about this fix.
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation
the_h4mmer
Answers: 1

Unread post by the_h4mmer »

Diaval wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:09 pm The issue from SPR 1214934 has to do with assembly configuration properties Bill of Materials Options when an assembly is used as a subassembly. There was a problem when multiple levels of subassemblies were set to use the Promote option where the quantities for the promoted parts were not rolling up properly. As noted in the original post, this has now been fixed and you can contact your VAR for more information about this fix.
Oof, this is not an immediate problem for my company, BUT might explain why I'm not seeing promoted components in an exported BOM while testing the Export XML BOM functionality, guess I should try with an assembly that's not using promoted components.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Does anybody know when PDM 2023 will come out?

We are discussing to switch to SWX 2022 as soon as SP5 is out. So we could integrate this fix at the same time because PDM works with that one version higher...
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

berg_lauritz wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:06 am Does anybody know when PDM 2023 will come out?

We are discussing to switch to SWX 2022 as soon as SP5 is out. So we could integrate this fix at the same time because PDM works with that one version higher...
Typically in October. SP of the previous version usually trails that a month.
Jason
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

It's only a problem when you start mixing in different methods of working. If you work with promoted assemblies, you shouldn't have a problem, as long as you don't have parts/assemblies that have different configurations. But even then, it's a limitation you can work around depending on your situation.

For instance, we use both promoted assemblies and configured parts with different part names per configuration. There's a setting for BOM's called "BOM Part configuration grouping", this is what can cause issues.
image.png
We put up with the rare occurences where we have a BOM that displays the same part number for 2 different BOM items. The info is sent to our ERP, which gets, for instance, a quantity of 2 and 4 for the other, and the ERP does the job of adding them and having the BOM represented as 6 for manufacturing.