Save as PSD

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Save as PSD

Unread post by SPerman »

The marketing department has requested I provide them information in the PSD (Photoshop) format. I'm struggling to get decent results and could use some help. (The solidworks help file on saving as PSD is lacking in information.)

There are 2 options:
image.png
image.png (12 KiB) Viewed 970 times

When I pick screen capture the resolution is terrible.

When I pick print capture, it tries for a while, and eventually I get this useful error message:
image.png
image.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 970 times
If anyone has any tips on saving a high quality photoshop image please send them my way.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Save as PSD

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I don't think you'll get PSD files, but pretty sure you could get the desired quality from extensions such as .png

I don't really know why they are forcing you to have a PSD file, it's not like they will have a file with multiple "layouts" (sorry, most likely wrong term, my PS days are from 15 years ago lol). They'll still end up with a 'flat' file as far as I'm aware.
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

SPerman wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:39 am The marketing department has requested I provide them information in the PSD (Photoshop) format. I'm struggling to get decent results and could use some help. (The solidworks help file on saving as PSD is lacking in information.)
Maybe run it through a rendering engine like PhotoView 360 or Visualize. Mind you, the Marketing Department should install Visualize on one of their machines and unload this work from you.

That is the cool thing for Visualize, you can install it without SW.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

What is your Print Capture Size?
Attachments
image_2022-02-17_075001.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I had the DPI maxed out trying to get the best image possible. It is now set to this and appears to be working. (I wish I could enable the "all sheets.")
image.png
We are a small company, and we all wear many hats. It is less hassle for me to give the marketing guy what makes his life easier than to try and train him so my life is easier. The really stupid part is these are just dumb 2d prints.

It looks like the quickest solution will be to take the PDF's I've already generated and use Gimp to convert them to PSD. (Nope. Gimp isn't happy with the PDF. I guess I will have to export one sheet at a time.)
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

Yeah, PDF's should actually be fine. Sometimes some users and programs are not very flexible.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
m2shell
Answers: 0

Unread post by m2shell »

SPerman wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:39 am The marketing department has requested I provide them information in the PSD (Photoshop) format. I'm struggling to get decent results and could use some help. (The solidworks help file on saving as PSD is lacking in information.)
They don't mean they want Photoshop 3D files do they? Photoshop can open 3D files like STL & OBJ (although I think they are deprecating this feature).
Photoshop with 3D STL object
Photoshop with 3D STL object
Photoshop Open... Menu
Photoshop Open... Menu
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Cant he/she/they just open the PDF file in photoshop?
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
IndianaDave
Answers: 0

Unread post by IndianaDave »

I would take screenshots as JPGs or PDFs and send to them...
I've never had sales or marketing departments that insisted on actual Photoshop files.
This seems kindof silly.
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

IndianaDave wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:23 pm I would take screenshots as JPGs or PDFs and send to them...
I've never had sales or marketing departments that insisted on actual Photoshop files.
This seems kindof silly.
This makes sense. Seems silly to arbitrarily require a PSD file of a raster image. I can understand if they needed vector format, but this is raster. I'd send them a PNG and see what they do. Photoshop can open that format just fine, and they can save it out as PSD if they have a need to do that.
@SPerman, you can PM me, and put me in touch with them. I can yell at them for you.