PDM BOM missing items

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
pitbullxp
Answers: 0

PDM BOM missing items

Unread post by pitbullxp »

Hi, All

When i'm using the generated BOM in Solidworks PDM, I'm missing some items.

We're using Solidworks 2020 SP 5 with PDM standard 2020. Have master assemblies with a total of 700 different parts, with a total of about 3000
We use the following settings for the BOM:
  • The latest reference vision
  • Default configuration
  • Latest version
  • Parts only
The missing parts are shown in
  • The @ configuration
  • The in Solidworks BOM
The @ configurations shows to many parts, and the Solidworks BOM takes way to long to load and makes Solidworks way to slow. I checked the missing parts and they don't have any settings like exclude form BOM on. Its also spread out over multiple assemblies

Does any of you know about this problem and what is the best way to get a BOM that i can trust.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: PDM BOM missing items

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

pitbullxp wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:28 am Hi, All

When i'm using the generated BOM in Solidworks PDM, I'm missing some items.

We're using Solidworks 2020 SP 5 with PDM standard 2020. Have master assemblies with a total of 700 different parts, with a total of about 3000
We use the following settings for the BOM:
  • The latest reference vision
  • Default configuration
  • Latest version
  • Parts only
The missing parts are shown in
  • The @ configuration
  • The in Solidworks BOM
The @ configurations shows to many parts, and the Solidworks BOM takes way to long to load and makes Solidworks way to slow. I checked the missing parts and they don't have any settings like exclude form BOM on. Its also spread out over multiple assemblies

Does any of you know about this problem and what is the best way to get a BOM that i can trust.
Never trust SW.
You can quote me on that.

It's difficult to troubleshoot something like this from afar. Maybe someone who has experienced this exact scenario will come by to help. All I've got for you is that your VAR can web session in and get under the hood. It could be anything from a corrupt registry to a PDM setting somewhere. Sorry I can't be of more help.
pitbullxp
Answers: 0

Unread post by pitbullxp »

Yeah I will contact my VAR about it.

For now i will go with the BOM generated by Solidworks
Diaval
Answers: 7

Unread post by Diaval »

If there is any discrepancy between the SW BOM and the PDM BOM, I would go with the one generated by SW.

Although it would be very tedious and time consuming, if you wanted to try to get to the bottom of what might be causing the difference I would suggest starting at the lowest subasembly level and do a compare of the SW BOM vs what PDM shows. Compare indented BOM and parts only BOM to ensure quantities are being rolled up properly in parts only. Check the assembly configuration option for how to handle BOM when it is used as a subassembly (Show/Hide/Promote).

You mention that PDM settings are using latest version of references, so if any of the subassemblies have changed parts or quantities between the version attached in SW and the latest version of the file, you would see those changed in the PDM BOM. Are you getting different values if you set the PDM BOM to use As Built?

I would also suggest to contact your VAR to get to the bottom of this since it seems to be a problem with PDM that needs to be reported to SolidWorks.
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@pitbullxp Could you post a screenshot?
Jason