Sketch tool to extend like the power trim option only extend to point

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Sketch tool to extend like the power trim option only extend to point

Unread post by bnemec »

In Solid Edge I has a sketch tool called "Trim Corner" which uses click and drag input to either extend or trim line segments to close up the sketch. I use Power Trim option in the Trim command to trim but I haven't found the option for extend. Having all the functionality in one command was very nice as I didn't need to go back and forth between commands.

Is there something similar in SW? I find the click and drag input method to be much faster than selecting line segments one at a time. It's not so bad in clean workspace but when there's many other things that SW likes to select it gets a bit tough. I'm still learning to use the selection filter but get tired of constantly changing it.

Anyway, for those SE users that didn't know about this tool, enjoy.
SolidEdgeExtend.gif
by DanPihlaja » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:27 pm
Click on the pic below. You can use power trim.
Media2.gif
Go to full post
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Re: Sketch tool to extend like the power trim option only extend to point

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I can see where click and drag would be handy, though to be honest I've never used Trim Entities for that. I drag each end point so it snaps to the other line, or Ctrl+select the end points and apply a coincident relation.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Click on the pic below. You can use power trim.
Media2.gif
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:21 pm I can see where click and drag would be handy, though to be honest I've never used Trim Entities for that. I drag each end point so it snaps to the other line, or Ctrl+select the end points and apply a coincident relation.
yep, I agree on that and did the same most of the time. This came in handy when deleting segment(s) and then rejoining existing segments. For a simple example, the chamfer was in the revolve sketch vs using a feature. It was nice having one command that could do the whole edit in one action. Start trim command, drag over the chamfer segment to delete then drag over the two line segments and the profile is closed back up. Very efficient.

Edit: My mistake, not one command that is wrong, poor memory. Cannot us the Trim Corner to delete a segment. I forgot that I just have delete key on my space mouse and used that instead of sketch command.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

DanPihlaja wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:27 pm Click on the pic below. You can use power trim.

Media2.gif
Thanks Dan, I do like the power trim, but in all of your examples there was always another line to hit. I was looking for a way to power trim where both line segments would need to be extended.

Before posting I worked through more of your example and I see how clicking on a line and moving the mouse can extend one line first (can make "on line" relation by selecting another line) and then go extend the other line. Although not as smooth but this will work.

Thank you!
DanPihlaja

bnemec wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:38 pm Thanks Dan, I do like the power trim, but in all of your examples there was always another line to hit. I was looking for a way to power trim where both line segments would need to be extended.

Before posting I worked through more of your example and I see how clicking on a line and moving the mouse can extend one line first (can make "on line" relation by selecting another line) and then go extend the other line. Although not as smooth but this will work.

Thank you!
Ahh.

Then you want to do this instead:
Media1(2).gif
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

intelligent trim POWER TRIM kind of does what you want, but I'm not 100% sure you can have it go both ways at the same time.

Edit: And now I realize the question was already answered <()>
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:09 pm Edit: And now I realize the question was already answered <()>
Solutions at the speed of light over here at CADForum.net !

I really like that discussion about and references to all CAD systems are welcome.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

bnemec wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:30 pm Solutions at the speed of light over here at CADForum.net !

I really like that discussion about and references to all CAD systems are welcome.
Indeed, and these discussions should be encouraged even inside a forum's company, even if it's their competitor, because in the end, it is competition that makes companies thrive. Heck, perhaps if it was allowed, they wouldn't need to have a Top10 to find suggestions for new features, and perhaps seeing a feature working correctly would help them understand how it is required to be programmed.
gupta9665
Answers: 21

Unread post by gupta9665 »

DanPihlaja wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:27 pm Click on the pic below. You can use power trim.
You do not need to drag the lines but simply press shift while you move your cursor over those lines. Also with shift pressed, no lines will be trimmed but only extended to nearest intersection.
Power Trim.gif
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
DanPihlaja

gupta9665 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:14 am You do not need to drag the lines but simply press shift while you move your cursor over those lines. Also with shift pressed, no lines will be trimmed but only extended to nearest intersection.

Power Trim.gif
Really!!! I did not know that!!
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

the_h4mmer
Answers: 1

Unread post by the_h4mmer »

@DanPihlaja and/or @gupta9665 not to hijack this thread, but what software are you using to make those animated GIFs?
DanPihlaja

the_h4mmer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:38 am @DanPihlaja and/or @gupta9665 not to hijack this thread, but what software are you using to make those animated GIFs?
I use PowerPoint to create the initial video file. It outputs an mp4 file (using INSERT-->SCREEN RECORDING)

Then I use this site to convert it to a GIF file: https://cloudconvert.com/mp4-to-gif
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

the_h4mmer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:38 am @DanPihlaja and/or @gupta9665 not to hijack this thread, but what software are you using to make those animated GIFs?
I know you didn't ask me, but far be it from me to pass up an opportunity to hijack a thread, especially on a Friday.

Someone here turned me onto a little app called "ScreenToGif" https://www.screentogif.com/ works well seems to be light weight. Does take a while to save the gif.
gupta9665
Answers: 21

Unread post by gupta9665 »

I used Camstudio earlier but recently started using this free recorder from MS: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/p/free- ... 7bfxjtbtzz
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
DanPihlaja

In my opinion, you should mark @gupta9665 's response as the correct answer, because I believe it is exactly what you want.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

DLZ_SWX_User
Answers: 0

Unread post by DLZ_SWX_User »

gupta9665 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:14 am You do not need to drag the lines but simply press shift while you move your cursor over those lines. Also with shift pressed, no lines will be trimmed but only extended to nearest intersection.

Power Trim.gif
Wow! Learn something new everyday & it is early on a Monday morning!
DanPihlaja

OK, just found this (since the SHIFT drag didn't actually do what you wanted, namely trimming two entities to each other).

But this does!!
trim to corner.gif
No need to hit shift at all. Just box select both entities.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

DanPihlaja wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:18 am OK, just found this (since the SHIFT drag didn't actually do what you wanted, namely trimming two entities to each other).

But this does!!

trim to corner.gif

No need to hit shift at all. Just box select both entities.
Yes exactly, I was going to reply to you about that. I don't understand the need to have different commands, or sub commands, for this. Just put it all in one.