Automatically add display data marks to default cfg

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Automatically add display data marks to default cfg

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Is there a possibility to add a display data mark automatically to the first & only configuration?

Currently if we make new configurations (i.e. flat pattern) it won't automatically have a display data mark for the 1st configuration.

Adding new configurations will automatically add a display data mark though.

Am I doing something wrong? This feels like a bug.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: Automatically add display data marks to default cfg

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Yeah....not really a bug I guess but definitely not ideal. Best you can do is create two configurations for your template or have a sheet metal template with the flat configuration already in place.

Maybe you could submit as a bug. If you have two configs and add the display mark to both, then delete one so there is only one config, then add a second config back, the first no longer has the display mark.
Jason
Hansjoerg
Answers: 3

Unread post by Hansjoerg »

I've noticed this illogical behavior as well, don't understand the point of this function either.
With the function Mark for rebuild when saving it behaves exactly the same.

I have also tried to add the markers for the standard configuration already in the template. But if there is only one configuration, the function is not available.
Next, I tried to trick the system by creating a second configuration, setting the markers for the display status and for the rebuild, and then deleting the additional configuration. Unfortunately, the markers disappear in the remaining configuration again....
I have to check if it is possible to add the markers to a single configuration with a macro and then save it as a template.

But all in all, this is again a huge effort to find a workaround to make an insufficiently thought-out function usable.

My frustration level is steadily rising........ >>>
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.
berg_lauritz

Thank you @jcapriotti & @Hansjoerg for re-creating the same thing that I did & confirming that I have not gone mad.

I did the same & was very frustrated because I am not willing to create two configurations for parts that do not need more than one. I guess I'll have to live with it for now.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

berg_lauritz wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:07 am Thank you @jcapriotti & @Hansjoerg for re-creating the same thing that I did & confirming that I have not gone mad.

I did the same & was very frustrated because I am not willing to create two configurations for parts that do not need more than one. I guess I'll have to live with it for now.
Just an FYI, we are going away from having the Rebuild Markup as a default for all configurations and instead instructing users to do a Rebuild All Configurations before the final save. Reason for us is we have some automation and we are experiencing very long save times when saving an assembly where it decides to save some of the part/sub-assy files and has to rebuild a lot of configurations on every save. This is also related to Windchill so you may not have the same issue.
Jason
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

How about using a macro to set the display data mark?
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
berg_lauritz

gupta9665 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:38 pm How about using a macro to set the display data mark?
Didn't you post a macro like that somewhere else? Can I link that to this post?
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

berg_lauritz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:48 pm Didn't you post a macro like that somewhere else? Can I link that to this post?
Try the following codes (the codes will add display data mark to each config in active model file)

Code: Select all

Option Explicit

Option Explicit

Sub main()
    Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks
    Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2
    Dim swConf As SldWorks.Configuration
    Dim swConfMgr As SldWorks.ConfigurationManager
    Dim configNameArr As Variant
    Dim configName As Variant

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks
    Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

If Not swModel Is Nothing Then
        If Not swModel.GetType = 3 Then
            Set swConfMgr = swModel.ConfigurationManager
            configNameArr = swModel.GetConfigurationNames

'Set Large Design Review marks for all configurations to true
            For Each configName In configNameArr
                Set swConf = swModel.GetConfigurationByName(configName)
                swConf.LargeDesignReviewMark = True
            Next
            swModel.ForceRebuild3 (False)

End If
    End If

End Sub
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger