License server needs internet connection for first-time activation?

martin
Answers: 0

License server needs internet connection for first-time activation?

Unread post by martin »

We have a small air-gapped network for confidential projects, consisting of a server and some workstations that are "never" to be connected to the internet. Now we need some Solidworks licenses available there as well.

We have an elaborate process of moving files in / out of this system, but connecting the server to the big interwebs seems to be out of the question, even if it is just for a second.

For Siemens software, you can just register the Host ID / MAC address of the license server at the online license portal and download a FlexLM license file, which should work fine in our case. But for SolidWorks, it seems you need an internet connection for a first-time activation of a new license server (according to the VAR I discussed with). Can anyone confirm if this is true or if there are other types of licenses they are not telling me about?
the_h4mmer
Answers: 1

Re: License server needs internet connection for first-time activation?

Unread post by the_h4mmer »

As far as I'm aware, you do need to be connected to the internet during installation of most (if not all) Solidworks installations. I know it checks for updates, but that's not required, I think the major aspect is that it does some sort of registration with DS and asks for an email address for activation (never received anything but it always asks).

Perhaps reaching out to DS directly, they could provide the FlexLM file for this limited use case? I've never attempted an offline install, let alone with an SNL server, I mean it would likely be fruitless, but have you tried running the setup to see if it will work without connection? The only other means I could see to do this, is to figure out what information is communicated between the machine getting the install and DS, to manually copy it from a connected machine to the air-gapped server, but I'm guessing there's device specific information and some serious security placed on those files that would prevent you to do exactly that...Curious to hear how it goes, even if it ends in having to connect the server to the internet
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Unread post by dave.laban »

Do you need it to be network licenses on your secure network or could you get away with standalone licenses on those machines?
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

From the Knowledge Base:
================================================
Solution Id: S-044953
Product: SolidWorks Simulation Professional 2010 Network
Created: 12/11/2009
Technically Reviewed Date: 4/11/2022
Area: Installation and Licensing
Sub-Area: Activation
Question: What is the process to perform a manual (email) SNL activation in SolidWorks?

Answer:

The first thing to note is that it is a two step process the first time the server is activated. You will need to first send a Configure request and then send an Activation request file.

The steps are as follows:

1. After installing the SolidWorks SolidNetWorks License Administrator, launch it. You will be prompted to activate. Click yes.
2. Select the ‘Manually via e-mail’ option and click ‘Next’.
3. Follow Step 1- ‘Press Save to create a request file’. A configuration file will be created. It should look like: SWConfigureRequest_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.txt. Send this file to activation@solidworks.com.
4. You will then receive a response file: SWConfigureResponse_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.txt
5. Press ‘Open’ to load the response file. Browse and select the file.
6. You will receive a message:
“SolidNetwork License Server initialization was successful, please make a second request in order to complete the activation. NOTE: this two step process is only necessary the very first time a SolidNetwork License Server is activated. Any subsequent activation will only require one request”. Click OK.
7. Press Save again to create an activation request file. SWActivateRequest_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.txt. Send this file to activation@solidworks.com.
8. You will then receive an activation request response file: SWActivateResponse_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.txt
9. Press ‘Open’ to load the activation request response file. Browse and select the file.
10. Activation is now complete.
=======================
martin

Unread post by martin »

Seems like email activation should be possible then, thanks 👍
martin

Unread post by martin »

dave.laban wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:51 am Do you need it to be network licenses on your secure network or could you get away with standalone licenses on those machines?
I thought about it, but wouldn't those standalone licenses require some kind of activation as well?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Why not get fixed licences rather then network ones? You'd avoid the issue, no?
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

martin wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:19 am I thought about it, but wouldn't those standalone licenses require some kind of activation as well?
They would, but it can be done via e-mail as well. The network license is much less hassle, since you only have to activate the license server, instead of each individual machine.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

dave.laban wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:51 am Do you need it to be network licenses on your secure network or could you get away with standalone licenses on those machines?
Thanks dave I had the wrong term!
doobes
Answers: 1

Unread post by doobes »

If you have more than one user, go the network license route.

Even our dimwitted IT guys at work were able to make it work. And no it doesn't need to touch the innerwebs to work. Our network is DEFINITELY not connected to the innerwebs and the license server works just fine.

The plus is they can also set up the admin tools so that they can do software "pushes" to update/upgrade your SolidWorks without someone having to sit in front of your computer and do it.

I'm guessing that in your environment you do not have admin rights do do software installs and updates/upgrades and stuff. The ability to push updates/upgrades makes everyone's life easier.

Just a guess ;)
chris