SolidWorks Assembly Bicycle Chain Patterning

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
matt
Answers: 18

SolidWorks Assembly Bicycle Chain Patterning

Unread post by matt »

It used to be difficult to make a bicycle chain in SolidWorks. But since they added the Chain Pattern, it's a lot easier to set up. Check this out.

MJuric
Answers: 1

Re: SolidWorks Assembly Bicycle Chain Patterning

Unread post by MJuric »

matt wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:24 pm It used to be difficult to make a bicycle chain in SolidWorks. But since they added the Chain Pattern, it's a lot easier to set up. Check this out.

I have used chain on several things over the years. Typically I don't create the chain unless for some reason I need to do some checks, studies etc with it but when you need it it's very handy.
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Re: SolidWorks Assembly Bicycle Chain Patterning

Unread post by dave.laban »

That was a good explanation of the chain pattern feature, but it really glossed over the most important (and powerful) part in my mind which is setting up the path in the first place.

For a given chain you know the overall path length you'll need will be a multiple of a whole number of chain links (e.g. 114 x 0.5" pitch = 57" length). Any given chain drive assembly will normally have at least one fixed position sprocket and one adjustable one to make up for chain tension.

The most powerful way of setting this up would be to draw your chain path using the Path Length Dimension to get the exact length required, then have your sketch actually drive the mates for the adjustable components (in this case, the horizontal position of the rear wheel in the frame dropout would be driven). This means your assembly will be fully constrained and your chain length correct.

It is then trivial to explore the effects of changing sprocket sizes / positions on the overall system as if the path sketch has been constructed well, any changes to the part / assembly geometry will automatically update the chain path to suit. Add in some Sensors or slot mates and you can have some warnings if the adjustable parts move out of the prescribed range.