Drawing performance new versions

colt
Answers: 0

Drawing performance new versions

Unread post by colt »

How has performance improved in the newer versions? I use envelopes and section views fairly often, but have noticed that they tank performance on drawings. Zooming and panning the drawing, adding notes, or typing text will max out one core at 4.5 ghz. Is this normal? I am hopeful about the new detailing mode, but wonder if it would solve the problem.
I am still on 2018 and trying to decide if I should upgrade pc or solidworks to get best performance bump.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Drawing performance new versions

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Hello,

It's not unusual for me to have a half dozen or so section views on a drawing, and I have none of the problems you described. As far as which option would help the most, I can't answer that. I have attached my computer specs, so hopefully comparing it to yours will help you decide.
Attachments
computer specs, 2020-02-12.pdf
(707.19 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
colt

Unread post by colt »

Thank you for sharing your computer specs. My pc is not as powerful in the cpu, but is similar.

There must be something wrong with my install. I opened up a brand new drawing and put in a text box. Just having the textbox activated ready for typing causes solidworks to max out a core. This is true even if solidworks loses focus. I guess I better be sure to exit my note before switching to another program.

I also did some more testing with slow typing. On my particular drawing I found that it took 5 seconds to type 25 letters when the drawing views on the sheet were set to "Hidden lines removed". However it only took 2 seconds when the drawing views were set to "Shaded". I can go twice as fast now! What a cluster
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

colt wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:47 pm How has performance improved in the newer versions? I use envelopes and section views fairly often, but have noticed that they tank performance on drawings. Zooming and panning the drawing, adding notes, or typing text will max out one core at 4.5 ghz. Is this normal? I am hopeful about the new detailing mode, but wonder if it would solve the problem.
I am still on 2018 and trying to decide if I should upgrade pc or solidworks to get best performance bump.
Hey,

Try and uncheck "surface bodies" inside your section views if that does not impair you. Every view with surface bodies checked to show makes the rebuild process take a lot more time.
image.png

Edit: Also you could check if your having the same issue as me, which is that empty drawing views appear inside drawings everytime a drawing is created. These views do not always show even when you "show hidden views" and are not shown in the featuremanager. If they do not show when checking "Show Hidden Views", create a new sheet, and do a zoom all. You should see them then.
Tapani Sjöman

Unread post by Tapani Sjöman »

I have detected veired behaviour: if I save a drawing (SW2022 SP2.0), some views will change "empty". If I tick "Draft Quality" -option active in the view, it will be looking good after saving, but the print (or save as pdf) is no good.

I'm downloading SP3.1 now and hope it will work better then ... ()
-----
No - no help. Same problem with SP 3.1.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Show a screen shot of your detail view.
Tapani Sjöman

On the left drawing after ctrl-Q and right same drawing after saving it.
004_Save_Documents_Not.png
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Tapani Sjöman wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:44 am On the left drawing after ctrl-Q and right same drawing after saving it.

I've been seeing this occasionally for the last few months, or maybe longer. I've had good luck with copying and pasting the whole drawing sheet, then deleting the original.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Fresh templates, @Tapani Sjöman ?
Tapani Sjöman

Hmm .. This is veired indeed. Sometimes it works but sometimes not. Have not found a workaround or reasoning for this yet.
--
Updated my graphics driver and adjusted max GDI value as 16000.
---
No help, problem still exist. grumph
Tapani Sjöman

Today noticed that if I make a Corp View, it will keep the view visible. ;)
AlexLachance

Tapani Sjöman wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:44 am On the left drawing after ctrl-Q and right same drawing after saving it.

Try seeing if the views are set to "Draft quality" rather then "High quality". If they are set to Draft quality, put them to High quality and see if it fixes it. That is what causes this issue for me.
image.png

Terveisiä sinulle Quebecistä
Tapani Sjöman

Thanks, Alex! The problem comes with "High quality" -option on. I think I must live with it while the problem is only on the screen. Prints and pdf -savings are still ok even if I can't see anything on the screen! ()
AlexLachance

Tapani Sjöman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:40 am Thanks, Alex! The problem comes with "High quality" -option on. I think I must live with it while the problem is only on the screen. Prints and pdf -savings are still ok even if I can't see anything on the screen! ()
You can switch between display styles to have the views redisplayed correctly. Annoying, but less annoying then having to close and reopen the drawing.