SW2020+: Using Old Version SWX file without Converting to Latest Version

zwei
Answers: 18

SW2020+: Using Old Version SWX file without Converting to Latest Version

Unread post by zwei »

I recently came across this SOLIDWORK system option that was added in SWX2020.
Force referenced documents to save to current version
You can improve save performance by clearing the Force referenced documents to save to current version system option in the External References tab.

When you clear the option, only documents that are modified in the current session are saved to the current version of
SOLIDWORKS.
This reduces save times significantly on the first save of large assemblies and drawings.

What i am really interested is the ability to NOT save the not-modified file into the latest version.
For instance, I could use a SWx2017 screw/standard part in a SWx2017 assembly and a SWx2021 assembly at the same time without needing to save it into new version.

As we are using multiple SWx version for different project (eg: SWX 2018, 2019, 2020, etc), with this option, this seems like it will be much easier to work with mixed version files, particularly on using standard fastener file.

Do anyone has any good experience working with mixed version files (eg: mixing SWX2019 and SWX2020) that you could share?
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: SW2020+: Using Old Version SWX file without Converting to Latest Version

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I've had so many minor issues come up from having files still in previous versions. Most of them required restarting SolidWorks for the issue to go off, but I figured if I could remove at the very least these issues, it would be less of a hassle.

So, it's pretty much an everyday practice of mine to make sure that I do not have files from previous versions. When I get issues, it's one of the first things I look into.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

There is no reason to use mixed version for standard fastener. And it's not even possible. 3 versions of same name part in same assembly?
What have you been smoking?
Give me some.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:41 am There is no reason to use mixed version for standard fastener. And it's not even possible. 3 versions of same name part in same assembly?
What have you been smoking?
Give me some.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that's what he's trying to do. He wants to use that screw in SW2020, and save the Assembly, but still be able to use the same screw with SW2017. Basically, he doesn't want SW to save every dependent file in the current version when the Assembly is saved.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

External References Read-Only setting?.... but with a non-PLM generic Windows environment, can we force/lock/protect released files as READ ONLY? That would then allow for the 2017 file to coexist without concerns for a overwrite?
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@Zhen-Wei Tee Are your files in PDM or a network share? If on a network share, right click your files and select properties and set them "Read-only". You can also show the column for Attributes so you ca see the "R" indicating its read-only. I would also look into limiting permissions on who can write to files and assign power users.

Another option is to set SolidWorks on your users to open all files read-only. Then turn on the multi users options which allow them to toggle the read-only status. This assumes you don't use PDM in which these steps aren't necessary.
image.png
image.png
Jason
Frederick_Law

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:47 am Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that's what he's trying to do. He wants to use that screw in SW2020, and save the Assembly, but still be able to use the same screw with SW2017. Basically, he doesn't want SW to save every dependent file in the current version when the Assembly is saved.
As long as the same screw (different version) does not exist in other assemblies in SW2020 assembly.
ie version 2018, 2019 and 2020 all use 2017 screw/hardware/purchased item.
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

@AlexLachance , thanks for the input. Do you mind sharing what is the most common issue(s) you faced? Is the issue reproducible?

What @Glenn Schroeder mentioned is correct, i am trying to use the standard OTS part file with different version of SOLIDWORKS. By not saving them to latest version, this will allow the assembly in 2019 to stay at 2019 (which is a requirement as we deal with customer who use different version).
image.png
@jcapriotti , we are on a PDM environment (Windchill...yay).
We is able to protect and prevent the file in the library from being overwrite/check-in by user.
However, this does not prevent file from being converted to the latest version in user's workspace/local drive.
Because of this, this tends to mess up the cache and cause all sort of other issues.
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:44 pm We is able to protect and prevent the file in the library from being overwrite/check-in by user.
However, this does not prevent file from being converted to the latest version in user's workspace/local drive.
Because of this, this tends to mess up the cache and cause all sort of other issues.

You can set WGM to "Lock" files added to the workspace under user preferences......and probably product or site level. Not perfect though as its only first add to workspace.
Jason
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:44 pm @AlexLachance , thanks for the input. Do you mind sharing what is the most common issue(s) you faced? Is the issue reproducible?
Off the top of my head
  • There was a bug where our parts inserted into parts would lose their mates
  • There was a display bug in drawings, where views would show previously saved views rather then the updated view.(this one was major)
  • There was a bug about lights in the scene turning on/off in the assembly
  • We would often have errors, such as mate errors or sketch errors that wouldn't make sense. We would remove the mate/relation and recreate it and all was fixed.

Display bug in drawings. In black, the view displayed and saved as a DXF, in blue the actual shape of the part:
image.png
Frederick_Law

Could those old version assemblies be set as "Library" parts?
Don't remember if SW can set a "Library" folder.