Global Variable Units Not Working

mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Global Variable Units Not Working

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

I have this file where I enter the units as inches for a global variable it's doing a conversion as if I entered them in metric when I try to use the variable. File units are set to IPS, but SW is altering my 1in = .0254 when I try to use the global variable.
Anyone know how to fix this?
Here's a video showing what I mean:
Global Variable Units.gif
I have also attached the file...Frustrating...
Attachments
R2-H.002264 M05 End Wedge Base 10inch Ramp.SLDPRT
(127.92 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Global Variable Units Not Working

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

It worked fine for me. I started a new sketch, inserted a construction line, and set its length equal to the global variable. I hate to ask this from an experienced user, but have you re-booted since you first noticed this?

image.png

And if yes, and it's still acting up, maybe change the units from Custom to IPS?

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

With your file, I made the line in Sketch6 ="rise" and it shows 1". What SW version are you using?
I even looked in the KB and can't find anything reported for anything similar.
2021 SP5.1
image.png
image.png (7.38 KiB) Viewed 541 times
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

PEBCAK?
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
mattpeneguy

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:32 am It worked fine for me. I started a new sketch, inserted a construction line, and set its length equal to the global variable. I hate to ask this from an experienced user, but have you re-booted since you first noticed this?

image.png

And if yes, and it's still acting up, maybe change the units from Custom to IPS?

image.png
That's probably it...In a Zoom meeting now, but will try that. It's been a while since I've rebooted.
mattpeneguy

DennisD wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:21 amPEBCAK?
Not an unlikely guess.
mattpeneguy

Thanks for the suggestion @Glenn Schroeder. I changed from "Custom" to IPS and it fixed the problem. Still confused as to how it happened.
Stupid SW, buggy software...Are my templates now broken? I guess I'll follow up next week with a coworker and check it out.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:44 am Thanks for the suggestion @Glenn Schroeder. I changed from "Custom" to IPS and it fixed the problem. Still confused as to how it happened.
Stupid SW, buggy software...Are my templates now broken? I guess I'll follow up next week with a coworker and check it out.
I would definitely check them, and if they're set to Custom I'd change it to IPS.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"