Cannot pick face

SPerman
Answers: 13

Cannot pick face

Unread post by SPerman »

I'm not sure what has happened, but over the last few weeks / months it has become increasingly difficult to select a face. I've downgraded to the officially supported graphics driver. If that did anything, it made it worse. Has anyone else experienced this, or have any other recommendations to try?

SW 2020 SP5.
NVidia Quadro P2200

GIF: CLICK ME!
Face.gif
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Cannot pick face

Unread post by AlexLachance »

SPerman wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:22 am I'm not sure what has happened, but over the last few weeks / months it has become increasingly difficult to select a face. I've downgraded to the officially supported graphics driver. If that did anything, it made it worse. Has anyone else experienced this, or have any other recommendations to try?

SW 2020 SP5.
NVidia Quadro P2200

Face.gif
You have files from previous versions most likely.

If you can't convert the files to 2020, then hide the part/assembly you wish to select the face and show it back, the face should then be selectable. I've ran into this issue for a long time before we moved to 2019.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

All files are saved to the 2020 format. Their templates are from a previous version.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Maybe a dumb suggestion...
Have you tried turning OFF (or ON if it is off) the enhanced graphic performance setting? SW2020 will have it turn on by default
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
matt

Unread post by matt »

SPerman wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:22 am I'm not sure what has happened, but over the last few weeks / months it has become increasingly difficult to select a face. I've downgraded to the officially supported graphics driver. If that did anything, it made it worse. Has anyone else experienced this, or have any other recommendations to try?

SW 2020 SP5.
NVidia Quadro P2200

Face.gif
Selection filter? Transparency? Selecting through another part? How are you making the selection? Does RMB/Select Other work?
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I've had enhanced graphics turned off since it first appeared. It causes nothing but trouble for me in 2020.

That is a GIF in my OP. Nothing is translucent, there are no selection filters. You can actually see it grab the face for a split second. It keeps picking edges and points that are behind the visible face.
-
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

The animated gif in OP helps us understand. Thank you.

I'd suggest to toggle on Filter Faces (default X key) and off when you need it. I understand the regular (common if infrequent) fuss of this, as I filter edges when placing centerlines in a drawing.

As to WHY, it seems like yet another inconsistent mystery to me.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Oh, animation, yeah, duh. There's a setting for selecting hidden edges in shaded mode. System Options>Display and Selection>Selection of Hidden Edges>Allow Selection in HLR and Shaded Modes

I would guess that you have that turned on and it needs to be off.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Randomly throwing idea...
Try playing around with the option below?
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I hadn't noticed it was a GIF in the original post, thanks Tom for pointing that out!

That's odd, Press F5 and look at your selection filter bar. Perhaps by Default you had "All filters" by default and turned off face selection..?(As Tom suggested)
image.png
Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:11 am Randomly throwing idea...

image.png
This could also be it, if you have the 2nd box checked.

Remember, if it's a setting and you fix the problem, be sure to save your settings ;)
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

image.png
I would second this....looks like "Allow selection in HLR and shaded modes" is checked.
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

image.png
That was it. (Allow selection in HLR and shaded modes.) Thanks for helping me sort it out. In hindsight, I remember changing that a few weeks ago chasing something else.
-