How to Enter Dimension Value Automatically When Creating Sketch Dimensions?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Cbecks Design
Answers: 0

How to Enter Dimension Value Automatically When Creating Sketch Dimensions?

Unread post by Cbecks Design »

I want to be able to type the dimension value automatically after I create the dimension (without having to double click the dimension).

Mine was doing this before, but I lost my custom settings, and now I can't find which setting this is.
by josh » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:42 pm
image.png
Go to full post
josh
Answers: 11

Re: How to Enter Dimension Value Automatically When Creating Sketch Dimensions?

Unread post by josh »

image.png
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I never noticed the setting in the screenshot @josh posted, but I believe this is the one you're looking for.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

The setting @Glenn Schroeder mentioned enables the functionality where a dimension and numeric input box pops up during sketch entity creation., allowing you to immediately specify both the length and value of a dimension driving that length.
image.png
image.png (9.03 KiB) Viewed 681 times
The setting I mentioned enables you to enter a number immediately upon creation of a dimension rather than double-clicking to enter a value.
Cbecks Design
Answers: 0

Unread post by Cbecks Design »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:50 pm I never noticed the setting in the screenshot @josh posted, but I believe this is the one you're looking for.
image.png
Hi Glenn. What I wanted was ability to automatically type the dimension value after creating the dimension. Not the line segment.

If you haven't used that function that Josh posted, try it out! Saves so much time.
josh wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:26 pm The setting @Glenn Schroeder mentioned enables the functionality where a dimension and numeric input box pops up during sketch entity creation., allowing you to immediately specify both the length and value of a dimension driving that length.

The setting I mentioned enables you to enter a number immediately upon creation of a dimension rather than double-clicking to enter a value.
You nailed it. Couldn't find this anywhere online.

PS: I can't believe this is literally the first setting check box! I was looking all over under dimensions, display, etc, etc. Thanks Josh.

As soon as you create a dimension, before clicking anything else, this dialog pops up and you can type the value in:
Attachments
Dimensions Auto Entry.png